The Bicycle / Biking Gear Thread

out of touch question: what happened to quick-release skewers?

All my bikes have QR, the oldest 1981 the newest 2019. I know thru axles are more the rules on gravel bikes like my latest but mine didn't have them, not sure if that's a price point thing (I didn't want to spend a lot of $$ on the bike since it gets used the least of the 3 I have)

My bikes all have QR's except the track bike.
My newest was a 2015 carbon gravel/CX bike that moved to thru axles the next year. I wish all my disc brake bikes had them, but I'll be fine without them.

I like a 2x chainring setup to avoid the big ratio jumps you get with a 1x.

Unless the bike is going to spend most of it's time off road, I wouldn't stick with the 650b wheel/tire setup. I might keep them for when the route is more technical than just gravel, though. That's entering MTB territory so I'd probably switch bikes, not wheels sizes.

I like riding 700c wheels on my road, mixed, and gravel rides because of the variety of treads and widths I can switch between. On a single set of wheels, I've mounted 25mm, 28mm and 32mm slicks for the road. When you go to 28mm, you can tell the with slows you down just a little, and can really feel it with 32mm's. For CX, I have 3 different 33mm width tread styles to choose from. For gravel and mixed offroad, I use 38mm and 40mm tires with different tread patterns, depending on the route.

Maxxis 700c 40mm Ramblers
tyre-image-ravager_m.png
Hey, @Tig , when you are swapping out tires on rims, are you tubeless on this gravel/cross/mixed wheel set? If so, and I am guessing you swap out tires yourself, are you using a compressor to set the bead on the tubeless tires when you swap out?

When I have funds for a road/mixed set of 700c wheels, I want to have like 2 sets of tires, one more road oriented, and one more mixed/gravel, to swap on and off. And I want to be able to do it myself. I did so successfully last year once on my mountain bike, but then screwed it up by mis-reading the pressure I was supposed to hit to make sure the bead was set, even after I heard the popping sounds and looked, and everything looked good (should have stopped there) then added more pressure due to misreading the instructions I had found. Just to be sure. And oops! I blew it all up, killed that brand new tire, and gave myself ringing ears for a couple days. Hah!

I think I can do it properly next time, but just thought I would ask how you swap out.

Hey, @Tig , when you are swapping out tires on rims, are you tubeless on this gravel/cross/mixed wheel set? If so, and I am guessing you swap out tires yourself, are you using a compressor to set the bead on the tubeless tires when you swap out?

When I have funds for a road/mixed set of 700c wheels, I want to have like 2 sets of tires, one more road oriented, and one more mixed/gravel, to swap on and off. And I want to be able to do it myself. I did so successfully last year once on my mountain bike, but then screwed it up by mis-reading the pressure I was supposed to hit to make sure the bead was set, even after I heard the popping sounds and looked, and everything looked good (should have stopped there) then added more pressure due to misreading the instructions I had found. Just to be sure. And oops! I blew it all up, killed that brand new tire, and gave myself ringing ears for a couple days. Hah!

I think I can do it properly next time, but just thought I would ask how you swap out.
Because I swap tires frequently, I use tubes.
For tubeless, you want to use either a compressor or a pump that has a rapid volume fill option to seal and seat the bead.

Here are a couple more vids from these guys. I like watching Neil a lot on all sorts of mountain bike technique riding stuff, also.

Here are some tech reasons why XC racers mostly use 29ers.

I raced cross country back in the 90s with my 26" (only option back then), V-brakes mountain bike.

I converted to a carbon fiber 29er with disc brakes and the new fangled wide handlebars around 5 years ago. I'm still not a fan of disc brakes as they're too responsive and can't ever be adjusted to respond like regular brake pads. I'm still not a fan of the wider bars, I used to do just fine with standard mountain bike bars width back in the day. But 29" wheels are pretty cool, especially with a hardtail. Softens the ride. Although navigating tight switchback turns might have been slightly easier on 26" wheels. I'm often tempted to take my old 26" wheeled mountain bike out to this day.

Yay! Healing mojo! Pics, and details please!
:)

So, I did a lot of research. I took your advice and went the modern route. My first instinct was to buy something from the early 2000's with a geometry that was familiar, and that had upgrade potential. After talking with you, I started to look into modern options. This included learning a whole lot about the internal workings of forks, gearing choices, and the like.

This led to an exhaustive trip into the current state of mountain bikes. Pretty much everything has changed since my first foray. The first step for me was wheel size. You may recall that we purchased a new bike for my GF a few weeks back (a 27.5). After waiting in line for 2 hours, I was able to test out a couple 29ers and a couple 27.5s while she was trying out her new bike. These were super short rides in a parking lot, and not nearly long enough to make an informed judgment, but the 29s felt foreign to me. I'm sure that I would get used to them in time. But since they felt a little odd, I had to think about what kind of riding I'd be doing, and the pros/cons of each size. I think I read every article and watched every vid. The pros of a 29 just didn't seem to fit what I am interested in. I want a nimble bike for short, steep, technical climbs and smallish features. I don't need to go fast, especially with a GF and boy in tow, and I'm not particularly interested in "flattening the trail" either. That said, I was THIS close to pulling the trigger on a beautiful Niner Air 9 that was a perfect build. I was so close. I agonized over it.

So, now that I was thinking 27.5, a problem. They're totally out of fashion. Stores aren't selling them, so companies aren't making them (at least, not anywhere near the 29er models unless it's a S or XS). Also, looking at the trails around here, I decided I want a hardtail. I'm not gonna be jumping very high. Hell, I almost pulled the trigger on a rigid bike. Mostly, I want a light bike that lets me pedal as far as possible without putting my foot down. That's always my goal.

Then we move to material. I don't want aluminum, as they're just so stiff, and all the new al bikes in my price range were close to 30 lbs. I love steel, but I couldn't find one that was sub 30 pounds, even with a fancy build and a high price tag. Titanium would be amazing, but I think it's just too expensive to make. All the Ti bikes I found were from "my" era, and they weren't even that light given the old components. That left carbon. I was leery of older carbon bikes, but I've heard that the processes are much better now. But all the new carbon bikes are 29ers. I narrowed my search from about a million bikes to two, each made around 2017, which was kinda the last hurrah (for now) of the 27.5. Those were the Ellsworth Enlightenment and the GT Zaskar Carbon Pro. Each checked every box. I found a used Ellsworth that was perfect (and which I would have preferred, since they are made in the US), but dude absolutely refused to ship. I even contacted a shop in his area and arranged to pay them directly for shipping and packing. All he had to do was take it to the shop. He wouldn't budge.

Then I stumbled across a bike shop in Italy that had a Zaskar (which, btw was my absolute lust bike in the 90's that I could not afford) that was a shop demo. Not mint, but not beaten up, and it was collecting dust because of the wheel size. I was able to get a pretty good deal, considering it sold for an insane amount a few years back. Basically I was able to buy it for about what I just sold my Fano for. I've already bought some pretty bits for it. :) I'll also likely upgrade to a 1x (it's a 2x) with a dropper post in the future. I think it'll be a great bike for me. My next will likely be a FS as I get a little older and/or more adventurous, but that's just if we stick with it. Anyhoo...
file_55abe4d714433b2e82c38f044a4d480b.png

Here's the actual bike (dark, not great pic from the shop):

zaskar.jpg

Last edited:
If I were to buy a new MTB, it would be the Trek Supercaliber. The cheapest 25 pound version starts at $4,800, so nope!

Supercaliber97_20_28588_A_Portrait

I'd want the 21 pound 9.9 with XTR for only $9,500.

Supercaliber99XTR_20_31062_A_Portrait

Last edited:
I just think you will be happier if you get a purpose built 1x, in a bike with 27.5 or 29 inch wheels, so it is modern enough. SRAM introduced its 1x in 2012 I read on the interwebz. Shimano was a good few years later.

Not sure about your budget, and not saying this is a great price. I am not sure about the prices right now. But this is an example bike that is the type of set up I would be looking for. Hard tail, GX 1x, good front fork. I think it is more reasonable to expect to find a Rock Shox Reba rather than Pike as I originally suggested. and a Reba is still pretty decent. this one is a carbon Specialized.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2710833/

This bike looks pretty fun! Looks like they won’t ship to the US, but is another example. this is a 27.5 Plus bike with big tires. A buddy of mine, who owns my favorite local bike shop had a similar set up on a Niner frame. Shimano 1x in SLX. SLX is not bad stuff, and would certainly work I would think. Anyway, another idea. and this is steel which is fun I think.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2768476/
I'd actually forgotten which two you'd pointed out, so I just went back and looked. A carbon hardtail...haha. And the Marin Pine Mountain. I'd found a Pine Mountain 2 that was gorgeous, and I was really really considering it despite the weight, as I knew it'd ride really well (and it was a 27.5+), but they just sold it after I asked a couple questions. I also looked at Chromag, Surly (I already have a cross check), the Jamis dragon series, etc.

That looks like a nice purchase, @Guitar Heel ! I don’t know much about those bikes but certainly seems to fill the bill. And I get it on your choice of 27.5. Sounds like it will work great for you. As far as not that many 27.5 bikes anymore, I have to think that is a hard tail thing. Seems like lots and lots of fully suspended 27.5 bikes. My guess is that companies are feeling most hard tail people want the bigger wheels for roll over, speed, and smoothening the trail. I know the local high school XC MTB team seems to have a lot of hard tail 29’ers. But I think it sounds like you made a really good choice for your needs. Congrats!

If I were to buy a new MTB, it would be the Trek Supercaliber. The cheapest 25 pound version starts at $4,800, so nope!

Supercaliber97_20_28588_A_Portrait

I'd want the 21 pound 9.9 with XTR for only $9,500.

Supercaliber99XTR_20_31062_A_Portrait
I have a Trek Superfly. We just bought our son a 16 inch Trek to replace his 12 inch Thomas The Train Bike. He is regularly hitting 8-10 mph on the new bike. It's lightweight too. We all love it.

20200509_170229.jpg

20200509_170537.jpg

She'll be coming around the mountain with a different happy kid soon.

20200509_170332.jpg

My older Giro shoes I had were pretty beat up and the buckle was broken and stabbing my finger, so I ordered a pair of Sidi Dominator 7 SR (shadow color) shoes. I had owned a pair of dominators back in the day, and they were my favorite shoes ever, though I had bought them a bit small. They were leather and stretched out well enough. I bought a half size larger this time, and think that will be a little better. Found this place called lickbike.com in Illinois and their price was great, free shipping, no tax, and they were super helpful to me in deciding on the size to order. And helped me change my order when I asked to order a slightly different model than I had clicked online. Good folks.
https://secure.lickbike.com/productpage.php?PART_NUM_SUB='6933-00'

AC2AF540-36A9-4ADA-92F7-417CBC8E02C1.gif

So my new bike can’t get to me. Shipment from Italy isn’t allowed. :(

Really? That seems strange. I didn’t know they were doing that.

The guy from whom I bought the shoes told me their stock was a little low because the Italians were just getting back to work, but did not say anything at all about shipment issues from Italy.

Still on my shoe odyssey, which included two sizes of dominator megas. Also discovering that most helmets are too round and not oval/rectangular enough for me. At least I'm getting two bikes back (of course they're ready today and it's going to rain through friday morning *spits*)

Reactions: Tig
Back