The Bicycle / Biking Gear Thread

So I got the CAAD13 105 Di2 yesterday and today rode it on a fairly easy 48 mile ride (no crazy climbs or descents). For the most part the bike was comfortable although towards the end my shoulder wasn't entirely happy. I feel like the seat might be too far back but am not sure yet (when I get out of the saddle everything feels ok but when I sit I feel that I'm having to reach a bit too far). It may be that I need to change the stem to be a bit shorter if it's not the seat. The seat itself wasn't horrible but I'm not sure I'll keep it.

I haven't gotten used to the new cassette (more and lower gears) but the electronic shifting is AWESOME!!! so easy. I'm sure I changed gears way more than normal because it's just so easy and seamless. The bike was pretty smooth feeling and seems less harsh riding than the old CAAD10. I don't think it's faster (not substantially anyways) but that probably has more to do with the motor it has than the bike itself :Wave: I've downloaded the app (yup) so I can customize the shifting if I want. They have synchro modes which automatically change some gears depending on where you are shifting from/to. I might use the semi mode which shifts only the rear cassette when you change the front to keep the cadence the same). Full synchro changes the front when the back gets to a specified point which I don't think I'd like. The big change is having to remember to charge the battery but it's supposed to last at least 1000km and it easy to check so I'm thinking I will charge it as part of the drive train cleaning maintenance :shrug:
CAAD13.jpg

So I got the CAAD13 105 Di2 yesterday and today rode it on a fairly easy 48 mile ride (no crazy climbs or descents). For the most part the bike was comfortable although towards the end my shoulder wasn't entirely happy. I feel like the seat might be too far back but am not sure yet (when I get out of the saddle everything feels ok but when I sit I feel that I'm having to reach a bit too far). It may be that I need to change the stem to be a bit shorter if it's not the seat. The seat itself wasn't horrible but I'm not sure I'll keep it.

I haven't gotten used to the new cassette (more and lower gears) but the electronic shifting is AWESOME!!! so easy. I'm sure I changed gears way more than normal because it's just so easy and seamless. The bike was pretty smooth feeling and seems less harsh riding than the old CAAD10. I don't think it's faster (not substantially anyways) but that probably has more to do with the motor it has than the bike itself :Wave: I've downloaded the app (yup) so I can customize the shifting if I want. They have synchro modes which automatically change some gears depending on where you are shifting from/to. I might use the semi mode which shifts only the rear cassette when you change the front to keep the cadence the same). Full synchro changes the front when the back gets to a specified point which I don't think I'd like. The big change is having to remember to charge the battery but it's supposed to last at least 1000km and it easy to check so I'm thinking I will charge it as part of the drive train cleaning maintenance :shrug:
View attachment 85555
Cool news! That's one of those best bang for the buck bikes. :baimun:

Yeah, I'd work with the saddle for/aft position/height before changing the stem length. I usually print out the mfg's geometry diagram and write down various measurements once I get the fit right. If you use the same saddle, you can drop a plumb-bob from the nose to see where it is in relation to the crank center. I looked for my drawing but couldn't find it. :facepalm: It's purpose is to help put everything in a relatively good starting position.

I watched some YT videos by Bike fitters and the suggestion was that changing the horizontal seat position is one of the last things you want to do. You want to make sure everything else is right first. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room to move the seat anyways. I have the old stem from the bike I broke which was a replacement of the original. It is 90mm instead of 110mm but has a much bigger angle. The old CAAD10 was bigger (a 60cm) and the reach was longer by about 10mm. Additionally the new bike has a more relaxed riding position so I'm a bit hesitate to put that stem on since I'll be much more upright than before. I adjusted the bars today by rotating them up a bit towards me. Hopefully that will provide enough relief. Since I didn't really have any problems for the first couple of hours or so riding, I don't think I'm that far off of being correct.

Reactions: Tig
Another 40 miles today and probably not much better. And I didn't really care for the new handlebar position as it makes using the brakes while in the drops a bit harder. I'll probably leave it as is for now and do one more ride. I'm heading off to the PNW for several weeks so I won't ride it again for a while but I'm leaning to putting in the shorter stem. I'll wait till I get back for a few reasons not the least is that I don't have a torque wrench and I'm a bit nervous about tightening the stem on a carbon fork :eek:

Well I got back a week ago and road another 40 miler then adjusted the seat forward a bit and road 50 and 40 mile rides and it seems better so I'll leave it for a while. My fitness is lacking a bit from several missed rides up there due to travel and rain.

On another note I have been looking into waxing the chain instead of lubes. It seems a bit tedious to do but I kind of like the idea of the chain not being black after a ride. I think for my old bike it would be hopeless and for the bike in the PNW wet lube is probably better even though I ride on gravel. But here it's pretty dry most of the time. The stuff I've read seems to suggest the interval between waxing is pretty short. I'm not so worried about saving watts (if that is even a thing) or the perceived improvement in drivetrain lifetime (my old bike is 41 yo and has the same drive train and my CAAD10 was 10 and I only changed the chain once so I think a lot of that is either peak performance based or just being anal :grin:). But if anyone has some real world experience I'd love to hear your option.

Tig already told me on Strava to save the wax for the bikini :grin:

After 8 1/2 years of faithful service, it is now time to retire my Garmin Edge 520 GPS computer. While it still functions, the USB port is shot.
52775465171_da8cb78f05_c.jpg

I can't afford another Garmin nor Wahoo, so I'll try a super cheap "COOSPO" unit for $39.99. It has a 4.3 out of 5 rating (567 rating total) on Amazon, so I hope it stays working for a few years.
Amazon product ASIN B098T8PQ1X
61VYNjJ521L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Why not just use a phone :shrug:

Probably good that I didn't wax the chain today, it was damp riding
I've seen nice phones get destroyed when mounted to handlebars, so I keep mine in the back center pocket in an otter box clone. Besides, I don't like touch screens of any kind while riding, especially with full fingered gloves.

I just have a phone and keep it in my back pocket. I don't have cadence or power meters and knowing my speed can sometimes be detrimental

After 8 1/2 years of faithful service, it is now time to retire my Garmin Edge 520 GPS computer. While it still functions, the USB port is shot.
52775465171_da8cb78f05_c.jpg

I can't afford another Garmin nor Wahoo, so I'll try a super cheap "COOSPO" unit for $39.99. It has a 4.3 out of 5 rating (567 rating total) on Amazon, so I hope it stays working for a few years.
Amazon product ASIN B098T8PQ1X
61VYNjJ521L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I use a cheap cyclometer. Cateye Padrone.
It has a decent screen size.

20231107_071134.jpg

I've seen nice phones get destroyed when mounted to handlebars, so I keep mine in the back center pocket in an otter box clone. Besides, I don't like touch screens of any kind while riding, especially with full fingered gloves.
If things get are wet at all, phone touch screens don't work well anyway. And I prefer to have mine in my pocket so I can try to do cool selfies like @Tig does whilst riding, and/or have the camera ready for good captures along the way. I have been using my apple watch most of the time lately, but also have my good Garmin head unit as I want to incorporate some power meters down the road, and like it for navigation and data whilst riding.

Getting a bike to keep in Boise to use, and share with Mollie for a great bike for her to ride. Going hardtail carbon for use on flow-y boise foothill trails (and if I have the bike in Hailey, the same type trails) and for Mollie to use on gravel roads, very easy and not intimidating single track, etc. She can ride a medium no problem, and I will be maybe slightly on the high end of that range in Ibis, but am nearly always a medium also. Ibis has their DV9's on sale (25% off Factory sale) and am going to go Carbon, SLX build with the Bike Yoke dropper post. I looked at some Aluminum and Steel options but when I felt the Ibis and looked at the centrist yet modern geo, seems like that would help her feel very comfortable and that she had something nice and light under her. And it will be fun for me to go climb on when she is at work and I want to go get a good ride in.

Getting the purple, at one of the Boise LBS's so have access to service, etc. Yay!

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 11.26.12 AM.png

Yeah, I am so ridiculous that after getting that nice carbon hardtail, and seeing some of the current deals, I decided to replace my 7 or 8 year old full squish bike too. Ordered one of these to replace my venerable but beloved old Kona Process 111. I got a better deal than the advertised sale price also. So I could not pass it up. oops.
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 2.21.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 2.21.58 PM.png

Back