The Bicycle / Biking Gear Thread

After using tens of different chain lubes over the years, I've been happy with Prolink the most for all my bikes.
60e9a63a-c295-4df3-a407-ebc748e5b24f_1.f034f149fd41e50ea0943aecf6c2764c.jpeg

after taking the P.O.S. Trek (that I paid $100 for recently in a grocery store parking lot) to intermediate trails over the weekend, I've decided to clean that up and give it to my GF's dad. He's awesome, and hikes about 3-5 miles every day (at age 70). We want him to have another option, and he's not gonna ever try anything too crazy. It should suit him just fine.

That means I get to have an NBD soon... I have a couple things in mind. Looking at XC bikes in either hardtail or limited rear suspension. Used, and not more than a decade old. Not gonna plop down a few grand, so we'll see what's out there. :)

after taking the P.O.S. Trek (that I paid $100 for recently in a grocery store parking lot) to intermediate trails over the weekend, I've decided to clean that up and give it to my GF's dad. He's awesome, and hikes about 3-5 miles every day (at age 70). We want him to have another option, and he's not gonna ever try anything too crazy. It should suit him just fine.

That means I get to have an NBD soon... I have a couple things in mind. Looking at XC bikes in either hardtail or limited rear suspension. Used, and not more than a decade old. Not gonna plop down a few grand, so we'll see what's out there. :)
If you can find a good used one with a 1x11 drive train (SRAM), it saves on hassle and maintenance. Also, remember with XC bikes, that if they are too steep in the front end, you can end jump walking over the front, at least if it is a 29’er. But a good 29’er hard tail will serve well for most trails that are relatively smooth. Anything I have seen in your pics, you would be fine. That also reduces maintenance. So yeah, 1x, disc brakes, hard tail. I prefer hydraulic disc brakes and they are not that much harder to work with. You should be able to find something.

Also, I like to be at least GX maybe with some X1 (for the rear mech) in the SRAM line for component group, or XT/SLX mix in Shimano. My brakes are SLX hydraulic and are nice. Stay away from Avid hydraulics. Always having to bleed those. My Kona mountain bike has X1 rear mech in 1x11, and GX cranks, etc. and SLX brakes. Has been bomber. XT rear mech and SLX shifters would be fine too.

Shocks, well, that is a whole ‘nether thing. I think a 29’er hard tail in that sort of component range, with a RockShock Pike fork would be great, and very maintainable. And of course, people love their fox shocks though I don’t know anything about the line. My .02!

If you can find a good used one with a 1x11 drive train (SRAM), it saves on hassle and maintenance. Also, remember with XC bikes, that if they are too steep in the front end, you can end jump walking over the front, at least if it is a 29’er. But a good 29’er hard tail will serve well for most trails that are relatively smooth. Anything I have seen in your pics, you would be fine. That also reduces maintenance. So yeah, 1x, disc brakes, hard tail. I prefer hydraulic disc brakes and they are not that much harder to work with. You should be able to find something.

Also, I like to be at least GX maybe with some X1 (for the rear mech) in the SRAM line for component group, or XT/SLX mix in Shimano. My brakes are SLX hydraulic and are nice. Stay away from Avid hydraulics. Always having to bleed those. My Kona mountain bike has X1 rear mech in 1x11, and GX cranks, etc. and SLX brakes. Has been bomber. XT rear mech and SLX shifters would be fine too.

Shocks, well, that is a whole ‘nether thing. I think a 29’er hard tail in that sort of component range, with a RockShock Pike fork would be great, and very maintainable. And of course, people love their fox shocks though I don’t know anything about the line. My .02!
As always, your insight is appreciated. I honestly don't care much about wheel size. 26, 27.5, 29, all good. And yes, hydraulic disc brakes for sure. it'll either have 1x already, or I'll convert it myself. I never strayed from the middle ring over the weekend.

Oh, I just remembered. The 1x came around about in 2015-16 from SRAM, and if you wanted Shimano, you had to use a “one up” sort of modification. I can’t remember when Shimano caught up with the 1X drive train. So, in looking at used bikes, keep that in mind! I have loved my SRAM set up, both the 1x, and I had an older SRAM set up on my bike before that too.

As always, your insight is appreciated. I honestly don't care much about wheel size. 26, 27.5, 29, all good. And yes, hydraulic disc brakes for sure. it'll either have 1x already, or I'll convert it myself. I never strayed from the middle ring over the weekend.
If you don’t care, just find the bike in 27.5 or 29 that is in good shape, with a good front shock, and 1x. No sense going with 26, at this point. Limited wheel and tire availability, etc. And with the slightly larger wheel, no need for a rear shock for you, and so much easier that way!

The thing about 1x drive trains is that they may throw the chain if you simply remove the unused chain rings. The 1x system uses a rear derailleur that has a tension clutch to help prevent this, plus the chain ring has higher profile teeth to hold the chain in place.

Anybody familiar with this kind of plastic fork plug doohickey. Short piece on left, longer piece on right, with interlocking teeth. It's defeating my sleep deprived brain atm.

IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG

The thing about 1x drive trains is that they may throw the chain if you simply remove the unused chain rings. The 1x system uses a rear derailleur that has a tension clutch to help prevent this, plus the chain ring has higher profile teeth to hold the chain in place.
Yep, I've seen this. I'm guessing that my plan of shortening the chain by a couple links probably won't work.

Yep, I've seen this. I'm guessing that my plan of shortening the chain by a couple links probably won't work.
I just think you will be happier if you get a purpose built 1x, in a bike with 27.5 or 29 inch wheels, so it is modern enough. SRAM introduced its 1x in 2012 I read on the interwebz. Shimano was a good few years later.

Not sure about your budget, and not saying this is a great price. I am not sure about the prices right now. But this is an example bike that is the type of set up I would be looking for. Hard tail, GX 1x, good front fork. I think it is more reasonable to expect to find a Rock Shox Reba rather than Pike as I originally suggested. and a Reba is still pretty decent. this one is a carbon Specialized.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2710833/

This bike looks pretty fun! Looks like they won’t ship to the US, but is another example. this is a 27.5 Plus bike with big tires. A buddy of mine, who owns my favorite local bike shop had a similar set up on a Niner frame. Shimano 1x in SLX. SLX is not bad stuff, and would certainly work I would think. Anyway, another idea. and this is steel which is fun I think.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2768476/

out of touch question: what happened to quick-release skewers?
Thru axle became the norm over the last several years. Though QR work, the thru axle style is said to be more secure, and a bit more rigid and less flexy, I think. As said, became the norm. I like how they are easier to put on and off, without worrying about pushing this way or that with your thumbs to align the discs in the disc brakes. Works way easier. Progress and all that.

Thru axle became the norm over the last several years. Though QR work, the thru axle style is said to be more secure, and a bit more rigid and less flexy, I think. As said, became the norm. I like how they are easier to put on and off, without worrying about pushing this way or that with your thumbs to align the discs in the disc brakes. Works way easier. Progress and all that.
I'd have to see it in person to appreciate what you're saying. maybe I'll check out a vid.

If you don’t care, just find the bike in 27.5 or 29 that is in good shape, with a good front shock, and 1x. No sense going with 26, at this point. Limited wheel and tire availability, etc. And with the slightly larger wheel, no need for a rear shock for you, and so much easier that way!
so, what's the biggest advantage to the larger wheel size? Cushion? Clearance?

so, what's the biggest advantage to the larger wheel size? Cushion? Clearance?
Rolls over obstacles easier, smoothes things out. Bigger is faster for XC. Most XC race bikes are 29er hard tails now it seems. But for your purposes, either 27.5 or 29 would work. With the 27.5 Plus or boost sized tires (extra fat) you get a similar diameter to a 29er, with more cushion. But then you need to get into one of those Boost spaced bikes that are in the 148mm spacing talked about in the axle vid. Probably more options for you to buy used in the 29'er hard tail category, as that has been around longer. @Tig may have some thoughts on that, but that is the way it would seem to me.

26 inch at this point, is a dying platform, and if you are going to buy a newer MTB, I think you should adopt the newer standards, either 29 or 27.5. Will make parts, tires, etc. way easier.

Here are a couple more vids from these guys. I like watching Neil a lot on all sorts of mountain bike technique riding stuff, also.

Here are some tech reasons why XC racers mostly use 29ers.

Back