The Bicycle / Biking Gear Thread

I need to ride. I planned on it Wednesday morning, but a sudden fever stopped me in my tracks at home.

It was weird. I felt like I was hallucinating... I read a few pages of Earth Abides and I couldn't tell where reality and my experiences ended and the story began. I took a few Tylenols and felt better in an hour, but sure didn't want to venture out.

I'm glad they fixed that. I hate the training stand!!!!

I don't/won't use them...if I'm not getting anywhere I'm not going to ride. Going places, seeing things, nearly being hit by cars :grin: is all part of the fun. Without those it's not fun

I need to ride. I planned on it Wednesday morning, but a sudden fever stopped me in my tracks at home.

It was weird. I felt like I was hallucinating... I read a few pages of Earth Abides and I couldn't tell where reality and my experiences ended and the story began. I took a few Tylenols and felt better in an hour, but sure didn't want to venture out.

Stay safe!

How are you doing now?

I've been getting in more riding than ever lately. I guess with all other forms of social activity stopped, it's the only way to get out and see the world.

How are you doing now?
Much better. The fever has stayed away so no more cowbell.

Due to unrelated back and neck issues, I can no longer ride for more than an hour without suffering days of pain afterward. I was supposed to start physical therapy, but all that has been delayed indefinitely.

I do enjoy my short rides now. They are life savers.

Last edited:
I've done shorter rides this week since the gym is closed rather than 3 short and 1 long ride. Although my neck doesn't bother me too much riding, I'm only good for 3-4 hours max generally so I have rarely exceeded that. I will notice it in the neck and the knees both of which have issues if I don't. I have noticed a nice thing about the shorter rides, when I come back near home I have plenty of legs left, unlike my 3 hour rides where I'm running out of gas.

That's one good thing. Another thing I've noticed this week compared to last week is that lots of people both riding and walking are much friendlier than pre shelter in place days. That's actually really nice, that when you say good morning to someone or wave that they respond. Previously that was rare since I guess everyone was too busy :P. I hope that's one thing we all learn from the current mess, we are pretty much all in this together

That's one good thing. Another thing I've noticed this week compared to last week is that lots of people both riding and walking are much friendlier than pre shelter in place days. That's actually really nice, that when you say good morning to someone or wave that they respond. Previously that was rare since I guess everyone was too busy :P. I hope that's one thing we all learn from the current mess, we are pretty much all in this together
yeah, lots of waves and smiles (from a safe distance) out on my long run this morning

did 30 miles with climbing yesterday, 40 miles kind of flat (nothing really flat around here) today. Lots of people out. Looks like lots of people of mixed households out running or playing at the parks. Not sure how that's reducing risk, but oh well. Yes, lots of waves and hellos. My big joke to walkers as I'm cresting a steep climb in some hilltop neighborhood is "hey, I'm feeling shortness of breath." Stupid I know, but people laugh.

Reactions: Tig
My son ditched his training wheels and joined the bicycle riding game late this afternoon.

20200322_152718.jpg

Anybody recommend something here that would be under 60ish with a 20% discount? I've never worn bibs and cycling shorts barely but a full waistband wasn't very comfortable when I did.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/mens-bib-shorts?sort=+price

Also a helmet under 100 that doesn't look enormous.

And platform pedals that would be okay for road but not too narrow, since my quest for clown feet spds has been interrupted.

My son ditched his training wheels and joined the bicycle riding game late this afternoon.

View attachment 54768
Awesome! I will never forget the day my Grandpa ran behind me as I tried out my new birthday bike (A Schwann stingray) and despite my fears I was off and cycling, never to look back! Such freedom! I had thought I should have training wheels like the other kids but my Grandpa insisted no and just said he would hold me up with the bar in the back, and he did, until he didn’t’t, and off I went.

I recall also those days with my kids, though they had training wheels first. And taking my kids and friends out on trails to explore “mountain biking” etc. Super stoked for you!

Anybody recommend something here that would be under 60ish with a 20% discount? I've never worn bibs and cycling shorts barely but a full waistband wasn't very comfortable when I did.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/mens-bib-shorts?sort=+price

Also a helmet under 100 that doesn't look enormous.

And platform pedals that would be okay for road but not too narrow, since my quest for clown feet spds has been interrupted.

Can't help you with bibs since I wear MTB shorts even on a road bike. I like having pockets and don't care if I don't look the part, I ride for exercise and fun only and they are comfortable for me. Probably can't help you with a helmet if you want something cool since I got mine at Costco. It was $25 and does the job quite well so you might go there (but probably not right now unless you want to stand in line to go look :P).

I would suggest you don't give up on getting clips for wide feet if that's what you mean. Especially if you plan long rides they really do help. I have pretty wide feet and found shoes that fit though it did take a long time. There is a brand that actually has wide and extra wide sizes though I forget the name. I didn't get them because they were quite expensive and at the time I was not sure I wanted to go clips or not so I didn't want to commit that much $$ to a pair of unique use shoes

Can't help you with bibs since I wear MTB shorts even on a road bike. I like having pockets and don't care if I don't look the part, I ride for exercise and fun only and they are comfortable for me. Probably can't help you with a helmet if you want something cool since I got mine at Costco. It was $25 and does the job quite well so you might go there (but probably not right now unless you want to stand in line to go look :P).

I would suggest you don't give up on getting clips for wide feet if that's what you mean. Especially if you plan long rides they really do help. I have pretty wide feet and found shoes that fit though it did take a long time. There is a brand that actually has wide and extra wide sizes though I forget the name. I didn't get them because they were quite expensive and at the time I was not sure I wanted to go clips or not so I didn't want to commit that much $$ to a pair of unique use shoes

Several of the ones I tried were, shockingly, wide enough but the contouring in the footbed was all wrong for my foot and painful just sitting without any weight on them. Lake and Bont both make ones that would probably fit but I was just trying stuff that had free returns from Amazon and aren't stupidly expensive, like 3 or 400. 200 maybe if they fit really well but that's it for me. I don't want to be going to the store every week with returns during this thing though. With the tops/bottoms I'm just tired of flapping around and wasting energy on really long rides. Don't care about looks either but I'm pretty much doing everything I can to slow myself down without trying.

Back