The Bicycle / Biking Gear Thread

Reactions: Tig
This tire, which in the 650b version is the one that comes on the Kona, seems very well regarded and very interesting, particularly since I will be spending a bunch of time on road. A 700c 40 or 44 sounds pretty good. https://bikepacking.com/news/700c-wtb-byway-now-available/

And last, this old tire, now called a Donnelly, is popular around here with all my riding buddies. Worth considering also.

https://road.cc/content/review/225474-clement-xplor-mso-tyres
Also, the Gravel King seems well regarded. Guessing I will go with one of those four above including the Donnelly, Gravel King, Maxxis, and WTB. Ultimately, I might like a road set and a mixed/gravel set.

Last edited:
Ok, I just have to keep posting stuff I find on this bike, as I am getting excited.

And this video is just fun and gets me excited to go cycling.

I don't get why Kona makes their hoods so blocky with such a severe angle. I test rode a Sutra and it was really uncomfortable.

Little Theo's first jersey. No idea what Page is. I hate 99% of jersey graphics but I dig this one.

s-l1600.jpg

Continuing to talk to myself....

Does the geometry on this seem particularly stretchy and low for something that's not strictly a racy road bike?

https://www.bianchiusa.com/archives/2019/road/gravel/impulso-all-road-tiagra

I love the look and I'm pretty picky about aesthetics. On ebay for 1250 from incycle. In socks I'm like 5'10"-1/2 with a 31.5ish inseam so longer torso/shorter legs but I don't know how my arms are proportionally so it might be a wash. I just don't want to be really stretched because I go on all-day rides. The 55 geometry seems a bit too much like the raleigh below but the 57 sounds awfully agressive. I would rather work with saddle and stem adjustments on a bigger bike though.

I need something that's comfortable for long rides on maybe 50/50 smooth pavement and chipseal/pavement with a ton of large perpendicular cracks, rough chipseal, gravel, and other terrible surfaces. I don't really want a 25+ pound super upright monster with 40mm+ tires. More like a -22 middleweight with neutral riding position and 30-35mm tires.

Was really interested in this for a while, and the local shop has some for a change, but thinking now it's a bit too upright purpose-built gravel.

https://feltbicycles.com/collections/gravel-bikes/products/broam-40-2020?variant=22709577318518

I've ruled out anything else similar from big brand names on features/quality/availability/geometry. Have also considered some bikesdirect motobecane but the geometry they provide from model to model is pretty random and incomplete. I could ask. Would much rather pay 1200 for better components than a brand name.

The two bikes I've ridden recently

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/raleigh-willard-4-2018/ 54cm Too small. Couldn't get saddle far back enough and had to raise it so far that the drop to the handlebars was uncomfortable. Hunched over and cramped. Too small to monkey with saddle/stem. Had those x'plors 40mm svl was talking about and they were extremely slow on smooth stuff.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/lemond-etape-2007/ 55cm I've had this since 2015 and put a ton of miles on it but the ride is too harsh for the roads around here. Can't fit more than 25mm tires. More stretched out than I want to be but fit otherwise ok.

There just aren't many in-person shopping opportunities here and I don't want to travel to buy a bike. Sold the Raleigh no problem and didn't lose anything on it so I'd just as soon try buying direct again but want to get the best possible fit out of the box.

Last edited:

Does the geometry on this seem particularly stretchy and low for something that's not strictly a racy road bike?

I love the look and I'm pretty picky about aesthetics. On ebay for 1250 from incycle. In socks I'm like 5'10"-1/2 with a 31.5ish inseam so longer torso/shorter legs but I don't know how my arms are proportionally so it might be a wash. I just don't want to be really stretched because I go on all-day rides. The 55 geometry seems a bit too much like the raleigh below but the 57 sounds awfully agressive. I would rather work with saddle and stem adjustments on a bigger bike though.

I need something that's comfortable for long rides on maybe 50/50 smooth pavement and chipseal/pavement with a ton of large perpendicular cracks, rough chipseal, gravel, and other terrible surfaces. I don't really want a 25+ pound super upright monster with 40mm+ tires. More like a -22 middleweight with neutral riding position and 30-35mm tires.

Was really interested in this for a while, and the local shop has some for a change, but thinking now it's a bit too upright purpose-built gravel.

https://feltbicycles.com/collections/gravel-bikes/products/broam-40-2020?variant=22709577318518

I've ruled out anything else similar from big brand names on features/quality/availability/geometry. Have also considered some bikesdirect motobecane but the geometry they provide from model to model is pretty random and incomplete. I could ask. Would much rather pay 1200 for better components than a brand name.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/raleigh-willard-4-2018/ 54cm Too small. Couldn't get saddle far back enough and had to raise it so far that the drop to the handlebars was uncomfortable. Hunched over and cramped. Too small to monkey with saddle/stem. Had those x'plors 40mm svl was talking about and they were extremely slow on smooth stuff.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/lemond-etape-2007/ 55cm I've had this since 2015 and put a ton of miles on it but the ride is too harsh for the roads around here. Can't fit more than 25mm tires. More stretched out that I want to be but fit otherwise ok.

There just aren't many in-person shopping opportunities here and I don't want to travel to buy a bike. Sold the Raleigh no problem and didn't lose anything on it so I'd just as soon try buying direct again but want to get the best possible fit out of the box.

Of the two, the Bianchi looks like a great buy. If I'm reading the geometry chart correctly, 68mm is a fairly high BB Drop, but not high like a Belgian CX frame will have. My 52cm Specialized CX/gravel frame BB Drop is 71mm, and their 56cm frame has a 69mm BB Drop.

Of the two, the Bianchi looks like a great buy. If I'm reading the geometry chart correctly, 68mm is a fairly high BB Drop, but not high like a Belgian CX frame will have. My 52cm Specialized CX/gravel frame BB Drop is 71mm, and their 56cm frame has a 69mm BB Drop.

Had to read up on bb drop. :embarrassed: Looks nearly identical to the lemond and I haven't had any of the issues that I see mentioned in conjunction with that. Mostly just trying to determine whether something is going to feel too much like a tron lightcycle or a beach cruiser. I've also been trying on pair after pair of spd shoes that have free returns trying to find something that will accomodate my really wide feet and without a bunch of contouring in the footbed that feels like there's a rock under the insole but not having much luck. The gods don't want me to be faster.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/lemond-etape-2007/ 55cm I've had this since 2015 and put a ton of miles on it but the ride is too harsh for the roads around here. Can't fit more than 25mm tires. More stretched out than I want to be but fit otherwise ok.

At 5’10” you should at least be on a 56cm. You can adjust saddle height and fore and aft, but there’s only one correct fore/aft position for your saddle (usually determined by dropping a plumb line from the small of your knee directly down to the same foot with the forward pedal parallel to the ground and the plumb line pointing directly to the ball of your foot - look it up, description isn’t good). Once you have the saddle position right, then you have to work out your reach to the bars and the only way to do that is by buying the right length stem (nothing adjusts the length). And if you need something over 120cm then you’re too far out over your front wheel and your frame is too short. 110cm is an ideal stem length, but you should be stretched out a bit and not sitting upright. So despite the adjustments of saddle height, the rest is really determined by getting the right frame size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
At 5’10” you should at least be on a 56cm. You can adjust saddle height and fore and aft, but there’s only one correct fore/aft position for your saddle (usually determined by dropping a plumb line from the small of your knee directly down to the same foot with the forward pedal parallel to the ground and the plumb line pointing directly to the ball of your foot - look it up, description isn’t good). Once you have the saddle position right, then you have to work out your reach to the bars and the only way to do that is by buying the right length stem (nothing adjusts the length). And if you need something over 120cc then you’re too far out over your front wheel and your frame is too short. 110cc is an ideal stem length, but you should be stretched out a bit and not sitting upright. So despite the adjustments of saddle height, the rest is really determined by getting the right frame size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hip. I gambled on the 54 Raleigh because of short legs/I was more ignorant of geo measurements/the 55 Lemond was the only thing I had to compare it to. It just looks it might be way more aggressive/racy than I want to be. I don't want a beach cruiser or anything, just to be relatively neutral between most gravel bike and traditional road bike geometries. I'm shying away from it even though it's gorgeous.

This seems a safer fit and cheaper than the Bianchi and has pretty much everything I'm looking for. Steerer is shorter than everything else I've been looking at though. No customs fees language is a bit murky. 56cm is out of stock both there and at Wiggle. :mad:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/cube-nuroad-pro-road-bike-2020/rp-prod192060

No you can ride/walk/hike so long as you maintain distance from others not part of your family (ie at home),

I walked the dog this morning. There were about the same amount of people out as I usually see on a Sunday morning. I plan to go for a bike ride tomorrow, I'll report back. At least for me riding is going to be super safe, I never ride with/near anyone...I hate riding in groups so I've been practicing social distancing for years :thu:

12785505d8cb42fcf5bf1.21321491.jpg
No you can ride/walk/hike so long as you maintain distance from others not part of your family (ie at home),

I walked the dog this morning. There were about the same amount of people out as I usually see on a Sunday morning. I plan to go for a bike ride tomorrow, I'll report back. At least for me riding is going to be super safe, I never ride with/near anyone...I hate riding in groups so I've been practicing social distancing for years :thu:

Me too. Don't tell Peen. Although I've been falling asleep to race videos lately and the drafting looks awfully nice.

ps What the heck is the weld in the chainstay on this? I've never seen that. Click to enlarge.

@Theodore you need the 56. I'm close to your size and it's what you need.

Smarter people than me regarding geometry and brands, instead I'm going to suggest maybe patience? I had a HUGE mission to buy a bike the last few years, and ride similarly to you (4x/30miles/week = 600 /month). Chipseal, broken roads, some smoothness.

Researching seemed endless; I knew what I wanted but went around and around with various options. Then one day Craig's List dropped a 10 year old Giant TCR-1 in my lap for $600, plus the guy threw in $2-3k worth of clothes, tools, shoes, tires & etc. for $50. He had a progressive illness and just wanted stuff placed in a good home.

This brought home to me a quote from a guy I used to manage. He was a talented artist who was both picky AND difficult to work with (lucky me). I asked why cycled through so many band members, and he said "It's like a long, slow fishing trip. I know when I have a real one on the line, but in between I gotta eat."

I think that when you are on a bike quest, that's how it goes. I'd watch and wait. (Hint: Pro's Closet, though I'm certain you're already cruising their listings).

@Theodore you need the 56. I'm close to your size and it's what you need.

Smarter people than me regarding geometry and brands, instead I'm going to suggest maybe patience? I had a HUGE mission to buy a bike the last few years, and ride similarly to you (4x/30miles/week = 600 /month). Chipseal, broken roads, some smoothness.

Researching seemed endless; I knew what I wanted but went around and around with various options. Then one day Craig's List dropped a 10 year old Giant TCR-1 in my lap for $600, plus the guy threw in $2-3k worth of clothes, tools, shoes, tires & etc. for $50. He had a progressive illness and just wanted stuff placed in a good home.

This brought home to me a quote from a guy I used to manage. He was a talented artist who was both picky AND difficult to work with (lucky me). I asked why cycled through so many band members, and he said "It's like a long, slow fishing trip. I know when I have a real one on the line, but in between I gotta eat."

I think that when you are on a bike quest, that's how it goes. I'd watch and wait. (Hint: Pro's Closet, though I'm certain you're already cruising their listings).

Oh I've been looking for a year since I bought that Raleigh, which I no longer have, so I have one bike that I don't want to ride much. I will get something eventually. I just haven't posted about it (or anything) for most of the past year.

Not a lot of people out riding today but it was cold and windy for Bay area folks. But there were some. Of course not very many cars either though I had terrible luck with what few cars there were and getting them at lights, I must have stopped for 70% of the lights I went through because there would be 1 or 2 cars waiting to turn :mad: Once I got on the mountain roads I saw more cyclists and wild turkeys than cars :thu:

The next few weeks are going to be nice with such light traffic, hopefully we'll get some nice weather though we still really need the rain (we are like -8" so far this year...that's out of 20" for normal so a long way to go and a short time to get there before the summer heat comes)

Back