Pets of Wein

He's been through a lot, poor guy. Respiratory infection, some kind of rectal issue and something else. They've got him all healed up and he's a little wiggle butt doorknob head.
My 6 year old wanted to name him fruit loop. lol
Fruit Loop is a great name! I agree with your 6 year old.

@DdBob What is your experience with getting Sonny to wear the little dog backpack thingy? We would really like our doggo to go hiking with us and carry some of her own stuff, so it's interesting to hear before we spend the money on that kind of stuff at some point in the future.

And I know this is all terribly premature, we don't even have her and going to let her get used to us and living with us for months before even considering any of this, but still :wink: We were shopping for stuff we need to have when she arrives and saw some of those dog backpacks.

Btw, the shelter sent us a video of her (it's a Youtube Short, whatever that may be, so can't be embedded...)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/03qQ-L02tN8

Last edited:
He's been through a lot, poor guy. Respiratory infection, some kind of rectal issue and something else. They've got him all healed up and he's a little wiggle butt doorknob head.
My 6 year old wanted to name him fruit loop. lol
Haha Froot Loop is a wonderful name. How old is he?

@DdBob What is your experience with getting Sonny to wear the little dog backpack thingy? We would really like our doggo to go hiking with us and carry some of her own stuff, so it's interesting to hear before we spend the money on that kind of stuff at some point in the future.

And I know this is all terribly premature, we don't even have her and going to let her get used to us and living with us for months before even considering any of this, but still :wink: We were shopping for stuff we need to have when she arrives and saw some of those dog backpacks.

Btw, the shelter sent us a video of her (it's a Youtube Short, whatever that may be, so can't be embedded...)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/03qQ-L02tN8

Great video, looks like a well adjusted happy pup!
Sonny took right to it and had no problem. He wears a harness on walks so he was already used to the process of something going over his neck. I took him backpacking one and we did twelve miles in one day with up and down and some bushwhacking and he never once gave any sign he was not liking it. He had 64 oz of water and about 4 cups of dog food , some treats, a collapsable water bowl, a bandana and a toy.
My previous dog never wore one but I never tried with her. She did wear a harness and never had any aversion to it though.
Sonny has a Ruffwear pack https://ruffwear.com/products/hiking-dog-pack-approach and a Ruffwear harness https://ruffwear.com/products/front-range-everyday-dog-harness Ruffwear is pretty much the industry leader for quality functional stuff for the outdoor adventure dog. There is also good stuff from the sleddog companies but it's mainly collars, leashes, harnesses, also seasrch Canicross. Neewa out of Italy makes quality stuff This is the leash Sonny has because he needed all metal hardware as he has broken three leashes from Ruffwear and Stuntpuppy ast the plastic quick adjustment they use (never had an issue with any of my other dogs using them but Sonny is a puller and lunger).

Anyway I'd suggest getting the daily walking harness I listed above. Ruffwear has a lot of copycat ones now but durability and ease of use and innovation is what makes Ruffwear worth it (they are kinda like Patagonia of the 90's before Patagonia went Gucci). If your dog takes to the harness he should have no issue at all with the backpack cuz it's the same exact process and feel except he'll be carryin a bit of weight.

*edit* now with pic (you can check my Flickr to see some of his regular harness as well)
Sonny by yobbodobbo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great video, looks like a well adjusted happy pup!
Sonny took right to it and had no problem. He wears a harness on walks so he was already used to the process of something going over his neck. I took him backpacking one and we did twelve miles in one day with up and down and some bushwhacking and he never once gave any sign he was not liking it. He had 64 oz of water and about 4 cups of dog food , some treats, a collapsable water bowl, a bandana and a toy.
My previous dog never wore one but I never tried with her. She did wear a harness and never had any aversion to it though.
Sonny has a Ruffwear pack https://ruffwear.com/products/hiking-dog-pack-approach and a Ruffwear harness https://ruffwear.com/products/front-range-everyday-dog-harness Ruffwear is pretty much the industry leader for quality functional stuff for the outdoor adventure dog. There is also good stuff from the sleddog companies but it's mainly collars, leashes, harnesses, also seasrch Canicross. Neewa out of Italy makes quality stuff This is the leash Sonny has because he needed all metal hardware as he has broken three leashes from Ruffwear and Stuntpuppy ast the plastic quick adjustment they use (never had an issue with any of my other dogs using them but Sonny is a puller and lunger).

Anyway I'd suggest getting the daily walking harness I listed above. Ruffwear has a lot of copycat ones now but durability and ease of use and innovation is what makes Ruffwear worth it (they are kinda like Patagonia of the 90's before Patagonia went Gucci). If your dog takes to the harness he should have no issue at all with the backpack cuz it's the same exact process and feel except he'll be carryin a bit of weight.

*edit* now with pic (you can check my Flickr to see some of his regular harness as well)
Sonny by yobbodobbo, on Flickr

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I'll definitely have a look if they sell the bags anywhere here (import tax + shipping really screws things up when ordering from the US). The two we were interested in were from different brands, but around the same price range. There were also some cheap ones, but those look like they're just shit both in terms of quality as comfort for the dog.

For the harness, we're getting some fancy handmade in Finland Y-harness thingy from the rescue organisation, so we'll be using that unless she's obviously not very happy about it. It looks very similar to the Ruffwear ones.

We got these yesterday for out of the house as well: https://woollywolf.co/products/woodland-duo-bowl

We were also looking at crates or something, since from reading online we got the impression that was sort of a "necessity". After some deeper dive, turns out crating your dog for anything other than medical reasons or travel is against the animal welfare act here. Can't say I mind, we both didn't like the idea to begin with.

F674EE3C-00A6-43FF-BDA8-AE4258D2EDDC.jpeg

fireside nap with Buddy and Buzz.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I'll definitely have a look if they sell the bags anywhere here (import tax + shipping really screws things up when ordering from the US). The two we were interested in were from different brands, but around the same price range. There were also some cheap ones, but those look like they're just shit both in terms of quality as comfort for the dog.

For the harness, we're getting some fancy handmade in Finland Y-harness thingy from the rescue organisation, so we'll be using that unless she's obviously not very happy about it. It looks very similar to the Ruffwear ones.

We got these yesterday for out of the house as well: https://woollywolf.co/products/woodland-duo-bowl

We were also looking at crates or something, since from reading online we got the impression that was sort of a "necessity". After some deeper dive, turns out crating your dog for anything other than medical reasons or travel is against the animal welfare act here. Can't say I mind, we both didn't like the idea to begin with.
I do canicross with my bozo, and can vouch for the quality of Non-Stop Dogwear's stuff; they're a Norwegian company, so might have good availability in your area (Finland?). We've only used their harnesses, belts, and leashes, but they do make packs as well (they are pretty spendy though). Canicross is also a much bigger thing in the nordic countries than it is over here, so there are probably multiple other options from canicross speciality places

edit for pic, because pics of doggos are never a bad thing:

JuALI25.jpg

Last edited:

The bowl looks good ! fwiw I know Motorik posted a pic of his dog over in China and he had some Ruffwear gear.
I had to crate Sonny briefly when I first got him because he ate a bit of vinyl siding from the baseboards and chewed a couple corners. I initially just kept him in the kitchen with one of those baby/pet gates but when he chewed the vinyl siding I was concerned he could choke so for his own safty kept him in it whilst i was at work, only had to do it about a month. It's always nerve racking when you get a new dog and you have to leave them alone the first few times. I always start by just going out for about five minutes and then move on to a quick grocery store trip....iut usually doesn't take long and they get used to the routine.

Well I am very sad. Just got news that little Bruce died over the weekend. Apparently he got giardia and his tiny little system couldn't handle it. Poor thing. I am glad he wasn't living with us yet. My kids would have flipped out.

Well I am very sad. Just got news that little Bruce died over the weekend. Apparently he got giardia and his tiny little system couldn't handle it. Poor thing. I am glad he wasn't living with us yet. My kids would have flipped out.

Awww man that sucks. Rest easy little Bruce.

:frown::frown::frown:

I didn't even know that dogs could get giardia (although I guess in retrospect, it makes sense that they can). I got it once from insufficiently treated stream water on a backpacking trip and it was not a good time

mojo and R.I.P Bruce :frown: Hopefully down the road you can consider adopting another buddy. There are lots in need.

:frown::frown::frown:

I didn't even know that dogs could get giardia (although I guess in retrospect, it makes sense that they can). I got it once from insufficiently treated stream water on a backpacking trip and it was not a good time

I've had it too - either from a backpack trip or a National Guard weekend. Wasn't too much fun!

:(

Oh no! Much mojo, run free little Bruce!

Slowly reintegrating Lola to the pub down the road. She had a lovely time playing with my uncle and the guy she nipped back in the day.

She does like lying in heavy footfall spaces!!!!

IMG_20220302_195201956.jpg

Back