OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People ask me why I'm so hard on Obama. Since he's had a republican majority. I remind them that for two years he had a veto-proof majority in both houses of congress and refused to use it.

I still regret not voting for Hillary in the 2008 primaries because she was right—Obama gave good speeches, but wasn’t ready to lead. Obama’s head was full of fairy-tale visions of Lincoln’s team of rivals. He wasn’t going to be like Bush and DeLay who just pushed Congress around to get things done. Obama was going to rise above and let Congress work things out for themselves. So he let Pelosi and Reid fumble the HCRA for six months before finally getting it passed. His presidency and Congress never recovered from that shitstorm.

I don’t think Hillary is going to put up with that. She’s going to get things done. And if the GOP wants to obstruct her, they do so at their own peril. Hillary has been crawling through the DC sewers for decades. I don’t think she gives a fuck about taking the high ground anymore. The first two years of her term will probably be uglier and more bitter than anything we saw under Obama. And in 2018 someone will bury the bodies, clean up the blood, and a new Congress will convene, scared shitless of crossing her.

I still regret not voting for Hillary in the 2008 primaries because she was right—Obama gave good speeches, but wasn’t ready to lead. Obama’s head was full of fairy-tale visions of Lincoln’s team of rivals. He wasn’t going to be like Bush and DeLay who just pushed Congress around to get things done. Obama was going to rise above and let Congress work things out for themselves. So he let Pelosi and Reid fumbled the HCRA for six months before finally getting it passed. His presidency and Congress never recovered from that shitstorm.

I don’t think Hillary is going to put up with that. She’s going to get things done. And if the GOP wants to obstruct her, they do so at their own peril. Hillary has been crawling through the DC sewers for decades. I don’t think she gives a fuck about taking the high ground anymore. The first two years of her term will probably be uglier and more bitter than anything we saw under Obama. And in 2018 someone will bury the bodies, clean up the blood, and a new Congress will convene, scared shitless of crossing her.
God I hope so

I think at this point pretty much everyone in the damn country wants Washington to do their fucking jobs. The 'no vote' crap, the political chicken, the attaching insane riders to bills, the failure to staff the Court, the inability to pass a budget, and the general unwillingness to compromise a damn inch has to stop. Can Hillary do that? I don't know, but I hope so.

I can't wait to see what happens when Clinton wins and the congress fails to consider a Court nomination for 4 years. I think at that point it becomes an issue best solved with tar and feathers.

And this is a fun little news source:
http://www.trump.news
apparently, The Donald "crushed" Hillary in a win at the last debate that is propelling him toward the White House.

Oh, and the USA Today, the same paper that pushes vaccines, pesticides, and GMO's, says to not vote for Trump.

People ask me why I'm so hard on Obama. Since he's had a republican majority. I remind them that for two years he had a veto-proof majority in both houses of congress and refused to use it.

Explain veto-proof majority in congress. The president is the one who veto so when congress is veto-proof, it means they have enough votes to veto the president. I'm not sure how Obama can use that to his advantage. Do you mean filibuster proof congress? Even then he really only had 4 months. While the dems held 58 seats with Bernie and one other Indy giving them 60, Ted Kennedy was too ill to be at most votes dropping the number to 59. Along with Robert Byrd being ill, the number of dems was actually 58 for most of the senate time.

Last edited:
Explain veto-proof majority in congress. The president is the one who veto so when congress is veto-proof, it means they have enough votes to veto the president. I'm not sure how Ovma can use that to his advantage. Do you means filibuster proof congress? Even then he really only had 4 months. While the dems held 58 seats with Bernie and one other Indy giving them 60, Ted Kennedy was too ill to be at most votes dropping the number to 59. Along with Robert Byrd being ill, the number of dems was actually 58 for most of the senate time.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/fleeting-illusory-supermajority/amp

Can I borrow your rose colored glasses?

Regardless, he wasted a LOT of time in his first term trying to work with republicans in Congress, before he finally realized they were serious about being the party of "no".

I disagree. While it turned out to actually be wasted time, he clearly tried in earnest to truly work with the republicans. So I cannot and will not fault him for attempting bipartisan efforts. The fact that even the centrists in the GOP decided to cow to the pundit and tea party notion of stonewalling anything that wasn't exactly as they wanted or even rejected what they wanted if he or any Democrats proposed legislation is hardly his fault. Plowing over them to force legislation would have possibly given us President Romney, which while more appealing than Trump would not have been ideal.

Hindsight being 20/20 I'm sure even he realizes he should have tried to push more through in the first half of his first term, but I commend him for trying to bridge the gap. I would just hope that had McCain or Romney won and gotten a republican Congress that they wouldn't have just gone crazy with only promoting their agenda and flipping off at least half of the country that didn't support them. We had too much of that with Dubya...he and his republican congress literally set back environmental law decades. We should be far more advanced with alternative fuels (and transitioning coal and oil workers to those jobs) and have a larger selection of affordable electric and hybrid vehicles available, but to myopic perspective of Bush and his oil family mind set decided that fossil fuels are the present and where we should stay. And that's just one area where they fucked up.

Anyway, fuck any politician...and while I could leave it there, Ima get specific and say fuck any politician that won't work with his/her colleagues across party lines to do the work of benefiting the greater good. They're on both sides, but there are inarguably exponentially more republicans that will concede nothing.

I've pointed to this example before. When Obama spoke to the HoR about the Affordable Care Act, he asked them what would need to be changed to get them to vote for it. They provided specific changes. President Obama made the changes and when they House voted, not a single republican voted for the ACA. As such, for all of their complaining, they are just a culpable for any shortcomings of the ACA as anyone else. Were they willing to work with the President and Senate Democrats, the we might have a far better ACA (which we all remember was based on the healthcare legislation Romney and his people put in place in Massachusetts, but even he bad-mouthed during the 2012 race).

Fuck, not again...

Regardless, he wasted a LOT of time in his first term trying to work with republicans in Congress, before he finally realized they were serious about being the party of "no".

As awful as the right has been about relentless, historically unprecedented obstructionism (mostly to the detriment of the nation), and about their 8-year extended tantrum about ObamaHitlerStalinMao's tyrannical rule*, think how much worse it would have been had he used that advantage from the outset.

* And I want to state this outright with no equivocation: if you have at any time bought into any of the countless fact-free conspiracy theories, despicable propaganda and outright hate speech the right has spread like radioactive syphilis about Obama, you are a moron whose opinions are worth nothing because of your stupid gullibility.

Marshall McLuhan quotes abound!!!

-- Politics will eventually be replaced by imagery.
The politician will be only too happy to abdicate
in favor of his image, because the image will
be much more powerful than he could ever be.

He knew Trump was coming...he warned us! But did we heed his warning?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back