OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw on Meet The Press, Rudy Giuliani on Trump paying no taxes, "He's a genius".

Why is this the first thing that pops into my brain?

wile-e-coyote-genius-business-card-feature-image.jpg

Giuliani is such an asshole. @Help!I'maRock! , how did you guys put up with him? I mean from his "broken windows" (code for harass the poor and minorities) policies to privatization of public schools (rather than better funding) to his crony defendant buddies, to fulfillment of his ambitions on the backs of those hurt or killed in 9/11, and subsequent "Patriot Act"-like grand standing, the guy is a douche. Also, he is just annoying.

Giuliani is such an asshole. @Help!I'maRock! , how did you guys put up with him? I mean from his "broken windows" (code for harass the poor and minorities) policies to privatization of public schools (rather than better funding) to his crony defendant buddies, to fulfillment of his ambitions on the backs of those hurt or killed in 9/11, and subsequent "Patriot Act"-like grand standing, the guy is a douche. Also, he is just annoying.

So a right wing New Yorker :thu:

Giuliani brought this city back from the brink. The Dinkins administration was a disaster only rivaled by my uncle Abe. Giuliani hired cops and firefighters, and kicked the hookers and drug addicts out of Times Square. It was the beginning of the past 20+ years of prosperity here in NYC. Had he continued that legacy instead of running as the 9/11 mayor and a party shill, he wouldn't be the laughing stock he is today.

Last edited:
Giuliani brought this city back from the brink. The Dinkins administration was a disaster only rivaled by my uncle Abe. Giuliani hired cops and firefighters, and kicked the hookers and drug addicts out of Times Square. It was the beginning of the past 25 years of prosperity here in NYC. Had he continued that legacy instead of running as the 9/11 mayor and a party shill, he wouldn't be the laughing stock he is today.
Interesting. As a defense attorney and civil libertarian, I still have issues with broken windows type law enforcement, but interesting to get that perspective.

Interesting. As a defense attorney and civil libertarian, I still have issues with broken windows type law enforcement, but interesting to get that perspective.

I disagreed with broken windows law enforcement until I spent some time living in black neighborhoods in DC. If the cops aren’t out there arresting people over every little thing then there are constant protests claiming cops are racist for not cracking down on crime in black neighborhoods. And when the cops show up to investigate after a crime nobody will talk (even though they were all on their front stoops when the shooting happened). It’s a lose/lose, situation for government, so they might as well do what they can.

I disagreed with broken windows law enforcement until I spent some time living in black neighborhoods in DC. If the cops aren’t out there arresting people over every little thing then there are constant protests claiming cops are racist for not cracking down on crime in black neighborhoods. And when the cops show up to investigate after a crime nobody will talk (even though they were all on their front stoops when the shooting happened). It’s a lose/lose, situation for government, so they might as well do what they can.
Interesting point. From a defense attorney's point of view, it sure looks like profiling and pretextual stops to look for other crimes. Kind of like pulling some one over for mudflap violations (they actually did that around here) then extend the stop and turn it into an investigation of whatever the officer thinks they want to try and find. The social point of view regarding effective policing in minority urban areas is something I don't really have current experience. Not like some white guy raised in the suburbs and living in a resort mountain area knows much about that. I really like this thread, as I learn some stuff from people with in different areas with different life experience. From the outside looking in, Giuliani looks like a dick. But I guess he addressed some local needs before he got more further corrupted by his own ambitions.

Interesting point. From a defense attorney's point of view, it sure looks like profiling and pretextual stops to look for other crimes. Kind of like pulling some one over for mudflap violations (they actually did that around here) then extend the stop and turn it into an investigation of whatever the officer thinks they want to try and find. The social point of view regarding effective policing in minority urban areas is something I don't really have current experience. Not like some white guy raised in the suburbs and living in a resort mountain area knows much about that. I really like this thread, as I learn some stuff from people with in different areas with different life experience. From the outside looking in, Giuliani looks like a dick. But I guess he addressed some local needs before he got more further corrupted by his own ambitions.
Giuliani also signed mayoral term limits into law and abided by them. Bloomberg subsequently repealed them and ran for a third term.

This^^

and now he is batshit crazy and needs to go down with the Trump train wreck. Anyone remember him floating the idea of suspending mayoral elections after 9-11 so he could remain in power? That didn't go over so well...in other words fuck him.
There was talk, but he felt the process should go forward. At least that's what I remember.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/02/n...erm-extension-hits-a-wall-in-albany.html?_r=0

Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani's chances of staying in office past Dec. 31 dimmed markedly today. State lawmakers declared the idea of extending his term by 90 days all but dead, and some in the mayor's camp said he would not try to run for a third term.

Mr. Giuliani said last week that if the three major candidates for mayor did not agree to a three-month extension of his term, he might run again in November on the Conservative Party line -- an idea that defied the city's term limits law and faced certain legal challenge.

Today, as groups like the League of Women Voters and Common Cause opposed any attempt to extend his stay in office, some of the mayor's top aides said there was little chance that he would attempt to run again, noting that the deadline for securing the Conservative Party line is next Monday. ''I don't hear anyone talking about that any more,'' one aide said.

Mr. Giuliani's demand for another 90 days put him in the odd position of insisting that people's lives should return to normal -- going to work, dinner dates and evenings at the theater -- but that the political process should not.

The Republican nominee, Michael R. Bloomberg, acceded to the three-month extension. Of the two Democrats in the primary runoff, Mark Green agreed and Fernando Ferrer refused.

Extending the mayor's term would require action by the Legislature and the governor. Such a bill would clearly pass in the Republican-controlled Senate -- though the majority leader, Joseph L. Bruno, is said by his allies to be uncomfortable with the idea -- and Gov. George E. Pataki has said he would sign it.

Today, the Assembly's ruling Democrats all but ruled out an extension, though some said the chances would be slightly better if Mr. Green won the runoff.

The Assembly does not plan to meet again until Oct. 15, four days after the runoff vote.

''From what I'm hearing now, most members oppose this, and I would think that it's a long shot,'' Mr. Silver said, after spending much of the last few days canvassing the Democrats. ''What's the magic about three months? Why not four years?''

Other Democrats were more direct. ''I don't see any chance of it happening,'' said Assemblyman Roger L. Green of Brooklyn, chairman of the Black, Puerto Rican and Hispanic Legislative Caucus.

By longstanding tradition in Albany, no bill goes to a floor vote unless it has a majority of the controlling party's votes.

Mr. Giuliani supported the term limits measure when it went before voters in 1993 and again in 1996. After the attack on the trade center, he quietly explored the possibility of overturning the law, but was rebuffed by the City Council and the Assembly.

The mayor's attention then turned to an extension of his term, and his aides had talked of forging a majority in the 150-member Assembly out of the 51 Republicans and some upstate and suburban Democrats. But Assembly members and top aides to Mr. Silver said today that no more than a handful of Democrats favored the idea. Even several upstate Democrats who said they saw some merit in the proposal added that they would defer to their colleagues in the city who opposed it.

Mr. Silver suggested today that Mr. Giuliani could play a role in the city's recovery in other ways, as an adviser to President Bush, as chief of a reconstruction commission, or as executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Top state officials, Republican and Democrat alike, said that Mr. Pataki would resist that idea, and dismissed it as little more than Mr. Silver's attempt to deflect some of the current focus on the Assembly.

Last week, Mr. Giuliani mounted a public and private lobbying campaign to stay on, making the case for continuity during the crisis at news conferences, and calling legislators and business leaders to enlist their support. Today, aides said he had suspended that effort, at least until after the runoff -- three days after the deadline for securing a spot on the November ballot.

Last Friday, Deputy Mayor Joseph J. Lhota sent a memo to the chiefs of all city agencies, asking them to prepare transition briefing documents for the next administration by Oct. 15.

In Albany, minority lawmakers, in particular, have adamantly opposed allowing Mr. Giuliani to remain in office. Of the 99 Democrats, 24 are black or Hispanic, and they were a crucial bloc of support for Mr. Silver last year during an attempted coup against him.

Most minority lawmakers have endorsed Mr. Ferrer, siding with his rejection of the mayor's offer. They have also clashed repeatedly with Mr. Giuliani, and say their views of him have not been altered by the accolades he has won for his handling of the disaster.

''I have never seen the level of emotional resolve I have seen around this issue,'' said Assemblyman Green, chairman of the minority legislators' group. ''For one thing, we see it as a violation of our voting rights. And also, there's a sense that this is occurring primarily because there is a candidate of color.''

Assemblyman Keith Wright, a black Democrat from Manhattan, said: ''It is time for Rudy to ride off into the sunset. We've had enough of this guy, and on Dec. 31, we shall all overcome.''

Last edited:
Giuliani brought this city back from the brink. The Dinkins administration was a disaster only rivaled by my uncle Abe. Giuliani hired cops and firefighters, and kicked the hookers and drug addicts out of Times Square. It was the beginning of the past 20+ years of prosperity here in NYC. Had he continued that legacy instead of running as the 9/11 mayor and a party shill, he wouldn't be the laughing stock he is today.
Agreed. Pre-9/11 Rudy was a whole different human being.

Reactions: Tig
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back