OMG Politics, I'm over it already Mk III, The Search for Spock

Status
Not open for further replies.
So these are generally Democratic states figuring that a Democrat will win the popular vote and a Republican won't. We've now seen it twice in the recent past. What happens when a Democrat wins in one of their states, but a Republican wins the popular vote nationwide? They'll all just vote for the Republican? That would make for a massive electoral landslide. What happens when that state isn't Vermont or Washington, but there's some crazy outcome like California or New York, and their dozens of electoral votes?

IMO, unless all 50 states are on board, this has the potential to create both a constitutional crisis and a mess of a presidential election.

National popular vote with instant runoff voting.

Not gonna happen, because American culture believes that The Constitution is a holy thing from the Founding Fathers like the Ten Commandments from Moses. I don’t think that many people consider the reality that virtually every 1st-world nation has a constitution, and that many of them are more modern, more efficient, more representative, and generally better.

National popular vote with instant runoff voting.

Not gonna happen, because American culture believes that The Constitution is a holy thing from the Founding Fathers like the Ten Commandments from Moses. I don’t think that many people consider the reality that virtually every 1st-world nation has a constitution, and that many of them are more modern, more efficient, more representative, and generally better.

It's a nice solution. Too bad these 10 states, one of which I live in, didn't make a pact around that.

According to Robert Reich, this is how you eliminate the EC. It is constitutional.
https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

Connecticut is the 11th state, and now that block as 172 votes. What happens when the majority of Connecticut voters elect the candidate that loses the popular vote? Will there be pitchforks and torches (or worse) at the Governor's mansion in Hartford? What happens if that block never gets to 270? Because I'm looking at this map, which is the current reflection of the world we live in, and having a difficult time seeing that strong a group come together.

2016-actual-electoral-map

This is the previous map. Seems to me the states that flipped will be an incredibly difficult sell on this plan.

2012_mov.png

:houra::bacon::thu:
(even tho it's a year and a half late)

Connecticut OKs Bill Pledging Electoral Votes To National Popular Vote Winner
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-vote-winner?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

"Connecticut is poised to commit its electoral votes to whichever U.S. presidential candidate wins the nation's popular vote — regardless of who wins the state.

By embracing the plan, Connecticut's General Assembly gave new momentum to a push to change how Americans elect their president.

Ten states and the District of Columbia are already in a compact to pool their electoral votes and pledge them to the popular-vote winner. With Connecticut added, the compact's voting power would rise to 172 — fewer than 100 electoral votes away from the 270-vote majority that decides the presidential contest."

"In addition to Connecticut, the other jurisdictions in the pact are: California, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state, along with Washington, D.C."

add 2 or 3 more states to this compact, and the E.C. will be, for all practical purposes, rendered null and void.
houra.gif
Why vote then?

This has no possibility to backfire whatsoever. :lol:

It isn't going to work, either. While states have the power to pick electors however they like, the actual electoral voting process is under Federal dominion and thus the state has no say over how the electors vote.

Yes, I know several states have faithless elector laws. However, notice that none of these states have ever taken faithless electors to court. Washington did issue $1000 fines to four faithless electors, but they have not (AFAIK) paid the fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back