OMG Politics, I'm over it already Mk III, The Search for Spock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clinton was a decent president who presided over a period of relative prosperity - Americans aren't very complicated when it comes to politics.

After seeing Jones barely beat a child molestor in Alabama, I am truly wondering who the hell I share a country with. WTF is wrong with these people?

Ginned up on fear and bad TV.

Democrats were less willing to abandon Bill. You still hear “all he did was get a blow job” from folks. But Clinton did likely cost Gore a decisive victory...which allowed W to weasel in. I’m not certain why Dems continue to fawn over Clinton who was in many ways a DINO whose Blue Dog ways are way less appealing in hindsight.

Bill Clinton is interesting to me, partly because of the changes in my political philosophy that occurred over his tenure. When he was running (and we had Perot on the radio all the time with his charts I never could really understand) and Mr. Thousand Points of Light, I was still an independent voter who lined up best with moderate (think Western WA) republicans, with some Libertarian tendencies, particularly on the social side, and allowing for strong, steady international policy and defense, so not really Libertarian. (not really the full picture, I was truly independent, but that was the best I can describe it. I had a hard time finding candidates I liked.) Bill seemed slick to me. And as I son of a Navy man, Bush didn't seem so bad, with his previous military background. One thing that bugged me over Clinton's tenure was Ms. Clinton's advocacy and causes. I kept thinking and saying that no one voted for her, and that if first spouses were also policy making officials, then they should be vetted in the same way the candidates are themselves. This can look pretty sexist, I know. But my defense is that I was looking at it from the fact that in the debates and other information available to voters, information was not presented about the first spouse, and that Bill should at least have to make her a Cabinet member with that vetting if she was going to be helping to make policy. At the time, I was still brainwashed by my surgeon grandfather that any sort of "socialized" medicine was horrible for the country and would bring on armaggedon in health care. Also, I had just come out of being an econ major in the 80's.

But over the course of the 90's, after having clerked at appellate courts and having had my first real jobs in a town that had 5 superfund sites and a lot of homeless and addicted, and the devastation of the forests and salmon runs in Western WA under Reagan and Watts, I moved away from my previous free market tendencies in many areas and saw a lot of good stuff Clinton was doing. I had switched horses and voted for him over Dole in '96.

SO, when the whole Lewinsky thing came up, I did not care that much that he had gotten a blow job at the white house (my views regarding people in power and what is appropriate in terms of sexual advances, whether or not you might have an open marriage have changed this, especially now in recent months. If one has power in the workplace, you gotta keep your pants zipped and not make any advances on anyone subordinate). Though I did think Bush (the first) had better character in that regard by comparison. But I was pissed that when he was starting to get some headway and some things done, particularly regarding health care, he squandered his power, effectiveness and the trust of those who had voted for him. I was disgusted by the rise of talk radio and those that turned the whole government into an impeachment process over sophomoric, sexist, frat boy behavior rather than deal with real issues. At that point, the environment was becoming a much bigger concern for me, and the rise of the religious right had poisoned the well of my childhood (through my parents) political affiliations. Yet, here was Bill, making a mess by not being able to keep his pants zipped. He had become, along with Ms. Clinton's help which I had accepted by that time, effective. Yet he then blew it.

so yeah. I didn't completely abandon him. But I was pissed at him.

Last edited:
Bush the first definitely did not keep his pants zipped. See: stories, both recent and old.
the one (and maybe only) thing that i can say was really positive about Bush I, is that when we went into kuwait and kicked sadaam out, we wrecked his artillery, seriously f'ed up his air power, chased him home and walked away. when George I was asked in a press conference "why don't we go into bagdad and finish sadaam?", his reply was "we're not gonna do that, it wouldn't be prudent at this juncture". and holy fuck was he right.
too bad his son didn't have 1/10 the smarts dad had.

Last edited:
the one (and maybe only) thing that i can say was really positive about Bush I, is that when we went into kuwait and kicked sadaam out, we wrecked his artillery, seriously f'ed up his air power, chased him home and walked away. when George I was asked in a press conference "why don't we go into bagdad and finish sadaam?", his reply was "we're not gonna do that, it wouldn't be prudent at this juncture". and holy fuck was he right.
too bad his son didn't have 1/10 the smarts dad had.
Dubya's problem was that he had Cheney and Rumsfeld. I don't think Dubya himself was a bad guy but what happened on his watch was bad because of those two.

https://cnn.it/2JXJD3m

BC2B1588-18EE-4864-B83D-03028FF1D075.jpeg

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/04/fox-news-sean-hannity-michael-cohen-murdoch
“YOU ONLY HIRE COHEN FOR ONE REASON”: INSIDE FOX NEWS, SEAN HANNITY’S MICHAEL COHEN DISCLOSURE STOKES A CRISIS AS MURDOCH WAVERS ON TRUMP

The symbiotic relationship between Donald Trump and Fox News can make it difficult to discern where the Trump administration ends and the network begins. But yesterday’s revelation in Manhattan federal court, that Trump’s lawyer Michael Cohen’s three-person client roster includes Sean Hannity, was shocking, even to those inside Fox News. “What the fuck? This is the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever seen,” one staffer told me. “This is bad,” another Fox staffer said. “It violates every rule of journalism.”

It was a surreal moment inside Fox as the news broke and producers scrambled to make sense of the developments. Hannity, according to sources, had not informed senior Fox News executives about his undisclosed relationship with Cohen, so the network was basically flying blind. Adding to the chaos, Hannity was in the middle of hosting his afternoon radio show, and weighed in live on air without clearing his response with Fox’s notoriously controlling public-relations department. His opaque, have-it-both-ways explanation—that he wasn’t really a Cohen client, and that he merely consulted him informally about “real estate,” while still maintaining that attorney client privilege applied—did little to stop Fox journalists from speculating about just what, exactly, Cohen did for Hannity.

According to employees I spoke to, a range of theories swirled through the newsroom. Did Hannity have a woman problem like Cohen clients Trump and Elliott Broidy, the former Republican fund-raiser who paid $1.6 million to a former Playboy model who had an abortion amid an affair with Broidy? “Everyone’s first impression was the same: you only hire Cohen for one reason,” one staffer said. Another staffer speculated Hannity hired Cohen to help him fight left-wing groups that were orchestrating an advertiser boycott after Hannity fanned the Seth Rich conspiracy last year. “Hannity was paranoid and hiring lawyers,” the staffer said. Still another theory posited that Cohen perhaps brokered a meeting between Hannity and Julian Assange last year. [snip]

The choice not to discipline Hannity frustrated some staffers. “Who makes decisions about this crap?” one told me. Fox News president of programming Suzanne Scott oversees Hannity’s show, and perhaps was reluctant to confront the network’s biggest star. Hannity’s closeness with Trump has given him immense power at the network, and he’s not afraid to show it. When he visited Mar-a-Lago earlier this month, Hannity bragged to a guest: “I’m the only thing holding this network together.” (Hannity denies saying this.) [snip]

It’s been open for 350 years.

With great respect and understanding, I think the fractious nature of things is somehow a watershed (and not a good one).

This is new, somehow. American racism used to be a kind of a seamy underbelly of our society, with eruptions that by and large slowly gathered a consensus that we ought to do better. Which we grudgingly did with varying degrees of sincerity.

This seems like we have a new sub population who are like, "no! We will NOT assimilate!"

Line in the sand. And it is clearly not about affordable healthcare.

this asshole in chief is barreling towards to starting a civil war.

Pittsburgh police prepare for protest if President Trump fires Robert Mueller
http://www.wtae.com/article/pittsbu...president-trump-fires-robert-mueller/19852727

"Pittsburgh police said they received information of a potential large scale protest in the Central Business District Wednesday following a belief that President Trump will soon fire Robert Mueller."
"Police believe the protest would happen within 24 hours of his firing."

"We may be needed to assist in the event that there is a large-scale protest," an email sent to Pittsburgh police said. "Based on this information, beginning tomorrow, April 19, 2018 all major crimes detectives are required to bring a full uniform and any issued protective equipment, riot gear, with them to work until further notice."

"Mayor Bill Peduto confirmed the authenticity of the email and said the commander’s email asking for detectives to bring uniforms and riot gear starting tomorrow is just precautionary."

Reactions: Tig
This seems like we have a new sub population who are like, "no! We will NOT assimilate!"

Line in the sand. And it is clearly not about affordable healthcare.

I disagree that this population is new. Despite New York's reputation as a liberal haven, the racism here is different but stunning in its own way. I am saddened every time someone I know outs them self as a "non-assimilater", but it doesn't shock me anymore.

I'm sorry to also point out that April 19 is the start of the American Revolution, which in part motivated McVeigh's bombing (also 4/19). It's a date that lingers on in the awareness of law enforcement.

Maybe they got a warning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back