OMG Politics, I'm over it already Mk III, The Search for Spock

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bag of shit would be better than anyone trump picked but, it needs to be pointed out, he was saying congress should pass a law. So at least for now, the president is answerable.

Any such law would be deemed unconstitutional upon its first court challenge ... because duh.

A bag of shit would be better than anyone trump picked but, it needs to be pointed out, he was saying congress should pass a law. So at least for now, the president is answerable.

No, for now a president may be annoyed by subpoenas and indictments, but they are under no obligation to recognize them. They are ANSWERABLE *only* to Congress, and specifically to the Senate, which requires a 2/3 vote to convict.

http://thehill.com/latino/396433-nyc-mayor-accused-of-crossing-southern-border-illegally

NYC mayor accused of crossing southern border illegally
BY JUSTIN WISE - 07/11/18 07:59 AM EDT 111

deblasio.bill_.ny_.1129.jpg

© Getty Images
U.S. Customs and Border Protection has reportedly accused New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) of crossing the U.S.-Mexico border illegally.

The Associated Press reported on Wednesday that the agency made the allegations in a letter obtained by the news service. It claims that de Blasio and his security detail violated Mexican and U.S. immigration laws by crossing the border on foot while the mayor made a visit near El Paso, Texas.

The AP reports that de Blasio's office has denied the charge.

"The mayor crossed the border with the direct approval and under the supervision of the border patrol supervisor at this port of entry,” de Blasio spokesman Eric Phillips said in an email Tuesday night to the AP. “Any suggestion otherwise is a flat-out lie and an obvious attempt by someone to attack the Mayor because of his advocacy for families being ripped apart at the border by the Trump Administration.”

The allegation appears to stem from a visit de Blasio made with about 20 other mayors to the Texas border on June 21, which was the day after President Trump signed an executive order to stop the practice of separating families at the southern border.

De Blasio went to a holding facility for migrant children but had been denied entry, according to the AP. The news service reports that de Blasio and his security outfit, run by the New York Police Department, then went to Mexico before crossing into the U.S. to try and get a view of the facility.

The letter alleges that a border patrol agent witnessed a group on the Rio Grande River flood plain south of the Tornillo, Texas, port of entry, taking pictures of a facility. The agent then asked them if they had been authorized to view the facility from that location.

A New York Police Department inspector reportedly responded that they had not and that they reached the location by coming from Mexico.

The AP adds that the agent then told the group that they had crossed the border illegally and that they'd need to be taken to an official crossing for an inspection. But the group disregarded that order and drove back to Mexico, AP reports.

The news comes as many Democratic lawmakers pressure the Trump administration about its immigration policies and how it intends to reunite the thousands of families that were separated at the border. De Blasio has also been among a growing list of lawmakers to call for the abolishment of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

ya put your right foot in......ya put your right foot out and ya shake it all about......

I don't think the GOP really wants Roe v Wade overturned. This issue is really the only thing they have to get the Christian conservatives to show up at elections. With the current Supreme Court already on record opposing further restrictions on gun ownership, if Roe v Wade is overturned, I think you'd see a lot of those folks much less motivated...

I think the old GOP wanted to keep Roe v Wade as an eternal issue. But they’re being replaced by American Taliban mullahs who believe in what they preach. They’re going to kill the filibuster and pass a federal ban on abortions ASAP.

I think the old GOP wanted to keep Roe v Wade as an eternal issue. But they’re being replaced by American Taliban mullahs who believe in what they preach. They’re going to kill the filibuster and pass a federal ban on abortions ASAP.
...and how are they going to do that exactly? You think congress is going to pass legislation to overturn Roe? If so, that has nothing to do with Kavanaugh, and seems very unlikely and probably would have happened by now.

If you think the Supreme Court is going to do it....well, they can't just show up to work one day and say, "hey , let's overturn Roe today". A case that challenges the ruling would have to make it's way through the lower courts, all the way to the Supreme Court for that to happen. That hasn't happened in 45 years since the original ruling, and I honestly don't see how this appointment will change that.

I'm a middle of the road guy, and don't really get all the panic about Roe being overturned. I don't see it happening just because of a single appointment. If I'm missing something, please enlighten me. :shrug:

doesn't have to be done at the supreme court. state courts could regulate it to the point where its effectively not an option.

A good friend of mine's father (who is also a longtime friend and otherwise a really good guy) posted this today. It took every ounce of restraint to keep from replying. I'm still just dumbfounded at how comparing people to animals is somehow ok. This is not America.
ffca433f52324f5861256323dae16bfa.jpg

Reactions: Tig
...and how are they going to do that exactly? You think congress is going to pass legislation to overturn Roe? If so, that has nothing to do with Kavanaugh, and seems very unlikely and probably would have happened by now.

If you think the Supreme Court is going to do it....well, they can't just show up to work one day and say, "hey , let's overturn Roe today". A case that challenges the ruling would have to make it's way through the lower courts, all the way to the Supreme Court for that to happen. That hasn't happened in 45 years since the original ruling, and I honestly don't see how this appointment will change that.

I'm a middle of the road guy, and don't really get all the panic about Roe being overturned. I don't see it happening just because of a single appointment. If I'm missing something, please enlighten me. :shrug:

https://thedailybeast.com/republicans-ready-to-deploy-plan-to-repeal-roe-v-wade

I recognize The Daily Beast is heavily biased, but this is a pretty clear pathway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back