OMG Politics, I'm over it already Mk III, The Search for Spock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Protestantism in America became a much more intellectual belief system, esp. at institutions like Harvard Divinity School, Yale Divinity School, Princeton Theological Seminary, and Union Theological Seminary. Their views would be completely abhorrent to modern evangelical Christians. Also beliefs in the "rapture" and end times that cause modern evangelicals to dismiss concerns about climate change or preserving liveable conditions on earth did not exist 200 years ago. Those are all 20th century inventions.

Really? Are you certain? I mean, maybe I should have hinted at that by mentioning mainstream/mainline Protestantism vs., say, Evangelical Christianity.

Oh, wait...

I do remember visiting some Church Of England church in Boston, near the common and relatively old, a few years ago.

Not sure if its still Church Of England though but should be. Bloody traitors.

:cool:

I was watching some prof from Gordon Conwell theological seminary on youtube the other night talk about Tolkien, Lewis and Modernism, WWI (not that the books were direct allegory but the effect the war had on their writing), post modernism, and how it impacts view of their popular books. Setting those books aside, this guy's views on rationality, individualism, and materialism (meaning valuing humans in terms of material worth, as opposed to consumerism). I guess the point being is that I get interested in looking back and studying how different Churches (man made organizations) come up with their views, and what those views really are and say. Have to go to court, but @rickenvox , will reach out later over the weekend to figure out how to discuss a bit more. Any suggestions for starting places to read or watch to get some more background would be appreciated. This comes from a Jesuit educated (former) kid whose junior year Comparative Religions instructor started out with the statement that "The teachings of Marx are correct and there is no God. Prove me wrong." Caused me then, and now, to always consider and reconsider what I believe and think. Unsurprisingly, I have not belonged to an organized church that tells me what to think in years, once I got over showing up at church when I was around my folks to appease them.

I'm at a bit of a loss with this one: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...16de4b0d5e89e1e4824?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003

Congressional Candidate In Virginia Admits He’s A Pedophile
Nathan Larson also ran online forums for pedophiles and misogynists.

A lot of people are tired of political correctness and being constrained by it,” he said. “People prefer when there’s an outsider who doesn’t have anything to lose and is willing to say what’s on a lot of people’s minds.”

What. The. Fucking. Hell.

It says he's running in Va's 10th Congressional District which is mine. I haven't heard a thing about him until this post.
Well, being an Independent might have limited his profile locally. Especially a total nutjob Independent.

talk about feckless.....

Trump: Samantha Bee should be fired for Ivanka insult
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44334136

"Bee used an offensive slur when attacking Ms Trump over the Trump administration's immigration policy."
"In his tweet, the president appeared to suggest that it was unfair that Bee did not lose her show as Barr had."

"Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump
Why aren’t they firing no talent Samantha Bee for the horrible language used on her low ratings show? A total double standard but that’s O.K., we are Winning, and will be doing so for a long time to come!

4:15 AM - 1 Jun 2018"

apparently mister gibbon has no clue that the two are on different networks, so there's NO double standard. there are two different standards of two different networks.
Roseanne was on ABC, Bee is on TBS. not the same thing. but who's counting.....winning bigly.

Anti-hate groups say the number of white nationalists running for office across the country this year is more than any other election in modern history.

BC14CC0C-5B31-40B4-B8ED-560E0E2F5582.jpeg

wow that's a level of failure that is hard to imagine.

his life is a lot better now that us taxpayers are footing the bill for his golf and grifting.

how do religious folks square him calling human beings animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back