New bands for old farts

But, but, but...

Cry of Love hasn't released an album in 20 years...they formed in '89.

This word, new?...I do not think you understand it's meaning. :thu:

I didn't know that about them. Someone recommended their music, and I've been listening on spotify.

Let's keep it to this century. Plenty to work with that way. Especially for a group so grounded in music from 50 years ago.

If we go this century, I have some. I was thinking 5 or 10 years. These are all instrumental bands, but these, along with some older bands like Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky are almost all I have been listening to for the last year or so.

God is an Astronaut
This Will Destroy You
Caspian
Russian Circles
If These Tree Could Talk
Russian Circles

I always think of them as a new band, because I started listening to them a few years ago, but they formed in 93 and their first record came out the same year as Wilco's AM.

They did, and I didn't like them for a long time. But this record is from this year.

Lots of great bands mentioned already.

Band of Horses -

Baroness -

White Denim -

Death From Above 1979 -

Black Mountain -

Benjamin Booker -

Wand -

I'm glad it's going to be raining this weekend, as that is a lot of material to cover. Bravo!

White Denim
Yeasayer
Lake Street Dive
Frightened Rabbit
Moonrise Nation
meghan Slankard
The Family Crest
Becca Stevens
Caravan of Thieves
Larkin Poe
Magpie Salute
The Avett Bros
Alabama Shakes
The Wood Brothers
The Winery Dogs
Flying Colours
The Wild Reeds
Moon Tooth
Lere Lynn
The Vespers
the Vagabon
The Jezabels
Margaret Glaspy
Kimbra
thenewno2 (Dhani Harrison's band)
Steve Mignano
Sarah Jarosz
The Punch Brothers
Royale
Cheyenne Mize
Damien Rice
Blake Mills
Only Sun
SHEL
Minus the Bear
The Marcus King Band
Lisa Hannigan
Admiral Fallow
Jesca Hoop
Ximena Sarinana
Trigger Hippy
Thank You Scientist
Tedeschi Trucks Band
Sierra Hull
The Duhks
Aoife O'Donovan
BeLO
Bloc Party
HIAM
Carrie Rodriguez
Boy
Deep Sea Diver
Gilmore & Roberts
Royal Blood
Ingrid Michaelson
Esme Patterson
Norah Jones
Little Willies
Intergalactic Lovers

'kay, Ima git back awork

Are they still a band? Dhani just released a solo record and as touring as Dhani Harrison.

Don't know, but they had two albums released between 2005 and now, so the fit into HIAK's notion of this century. thefearofmissingout is quite good, I love the song Staring Out To Sea.

A lot of the artists and bands I listed have 2000-2005 origins as recording artists. And that list could go on and on.

Jason Isbell
Sufjan Stevens
Irene Diaz
Janita
Swear and Shake
Thao & the Get Down Stay Down
Screaming Females

Shit, can't get started again...

Anyway, a lot of the stuff is acoustic-based or focused. And a lot of it features females. Both things began to appeal more to me over the last 15-20 years...a different sound, approach, and energy through the different instrumentation and genders. There are also quite a few bands with greater ethnic and gender diversity, which is something that you rarely saw when many of us were youngins. I think diversity has really helped move the work of some of these bands to new and different places that they wouldn't have were it not for said diversity.

White guys playing rock, blues, folk, and all the other stuff gets played after a while

Back