Give me something to watch on Netflix

Speaking of bloody vampires. El Conde is an interesting little curio. A Chilean movie in which Augusto Pinochet (yes, that Augusto Pinochet) is a 250 year old vampire who fakes his own death to evade justice. A sexy nun is sent by the Catholic church to investigate.The whole thing is narrated by a supringly funny Margaret Thatcher.

It's every bit as weird as it sounds. I quite enjoyed it

It's quite arty, is in black and white, and got an an Oscar nomination for best cinematography. So don't expect a throwaway B movie. It's just plain odd.

Atlas has had terrible reviews but its no worse than most big Hollywood action blockbusters, and better than many. I was entertained. And I'm enjoying J-Lo's mid career badass action heroine phase

I've noticed a trend where Netflix (and other streaming services) movies get a rougher ride from the critics if they step on toes of the big studio tent pole pictures. One tip, don't watch it on your phone morons!
Hasn't J Lo done this in the past? I know there's a late 90's early 2000's movie with her getting revenge for something. I'm heading to Google!
Ok I'm back. She did Enough in 2002. I thought there were more "badass heroine" movies with her around that time but it looks like she was all over the place.

We've started watching The Gentleman.

Guy Ritchie doing his thing. Really enjoying it so far.

Speaking of bloody vampires. El Conde is an interesting little curio. A Chilean movie in which Augusto Pinochet (yes, that Augusto Pinochet) is a 250 year old vampire who fakes his own death to evade justice. A sexy nun is sent by the Catholic church to investigate.The whole thing is narrated by a supringly funny Margaret Thatcher.

It's every bit as weird as it sounds. I quite enjoyed it

It's quite arty, is in black and white, and got an an Oscar nomination for best cinematography. So don't expect a throwaway B movie. It's just plain odd.
That sounds interesting!

Have any of you watched Ginny and  Georgia? I've been binging it all week and I'm almost finished. I think it's fantastic.

Seems to be a love\hate with that movie. The wife and I enjoyed it. I have friends who hated it in it's entirety.
I didn’t hate it or love it. It was informative but would have loved more on the glory racing years and the cars.

Just heard Godzilla Minus One is on Netflix. I've got to decide between watching it immediately and saving it to watch with my son.

I just finished “In Restless Dreams: The Music Of Paul Simon” on Prime. It’s a two part series. Each half is roughly 2 hours long. It covers his early days with Art Garfunkel all the way to the present.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Spoiler alert:

I was surprised to learn that Simon’s album Graceland was recorded in 5 different studios with a lot of different musicians. They did a good job of making it sound like a cohesive theme. I was a big fan of that album when it was released. He was criticized for breaking a boycott and going to South Africa during apartheid. I, mistakenly, thought the entire album was recorded there.

The irony of the criticism of the Graceland album during apartheid was that the album was so popular that it shined a light on the music of African people. And the subsequent tour was popular with black and white audiences, a mixed group illegal in South Africa at that time. For me, it opened the door for Johnny Clegg & Savuka but I digress.

I just finished “In Restless Dreams: The Music Of Paul Simon” on Prime. It’s a two part series. Each half is roughly 2 hours long. It covers his early days with Art Garfunkel all the way to the present.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Spoiler alert:

I was surprised to learn that Simon’s album Graceland was recorded in 5 different studios with a lot of different musicians. They did a good job of making it sound like a cohesive theme. I was a big fan of that album when it was released. He was criticized for breaking a boycott and going to South Africa during apartheid. I, mistakenly, thought the entire album was recorded there.

The irony of the criticism of the Graceland album during apartheid was that the album was so popular that it shined a light on the music of African people. And the subsequent tour was popular with black and white audiences, a mixed group illegal in South Africa at that time. For me, it opened the door for Johnny Clegg & Savuka but I digress.
That sounds like a good watch.

We finished The Gentlemen series last night. Petered out a bit but still a fun watch.

Started Fallout tonight. Neither of us play the game but Mrs JBJ wants to watch it because the hot girl from Yellowjackets is in it. I'm not going to argue with that :embarrassed:

That sounds like a good watch.

We finished The Gentlemen series last night. Petered out a bit but still a fun watch.

Started Fallout tonight. Neither of us play the game but Mrs JBJ wants to watch it because the hot girl from Yellowjackets is in it. I'm not going to argue with that :embarrassed:

I just finished Fallout. I liked it. I’m looking forward to season 2. I never played the video game.

Under Paris. There is a seven metre long shark in the Seine. The mayor won't close the river. That's all you need to know.

Any of you seen I Saw the TV Glow?

I watched it over the weekend and am still mulling it over in my head. It seems to have provoked polarized reactions from viewers. I'm on the 'yay' side, but I understand how other viewers might think it's slowmoving, stilted, glacial, dragged out too long etc. I found it really compelling and quite emotional.

I have been watching the show that is called by the name of Hacks on HBO, it is funny and nice. and a good distraction from the hellscape of real life. Jean Smart is great as usual and Hannah Einbinder is really good too and they play off each other well. anyone else see it? i am still only in season 1 but i think they are on season three now...

Back