Weber 5E7M - Saint style!!!

Were those voltages across the 1ohm resistor with the stock tubes that come from Weber? If so, that's probably what's causing a lot of the discrepency. They don't even attempt to match the output tubes. Between the tubes being severely mismatched and the 5% resistors, I can see the voltages being way off like that.

Yeah. Is that kind of what you got? New tubes are on the way. Bummer to say the 12AY7's are on back order so I will have to wait. I may just get an EH 12AY7 for the time being.

I am planning on swapping V4 with V5 to see if the voltages travel. If they do, it is confirmed - unmatched crap Chinese tubes. Dang can't my family (distant relatives) make anything right ???

I don't remember exactly what my voltages were, but I remember them being off quite a bit between the two. I was using 1% resistors, but with those tubes, it seems like there was at least 30mv difference between the two.

Even with the matched tubes, they aren't exactly the same, but they are within a few mv now.

Worked on my amp some today and pretty much I have confirmed that one of my Chinese 6L6's is crap. With tubes all taken out, and my readings on the negative voltages that feed the cathode confirmed my thoughts on a bad tube.

I did get some good news today that my tube order is on the way so the excitement is starting again.

After beginning the Weber Amp Build Saint Style, the project is finally done.

party0

On the step of my home, a box from FedEX home contained my new tubes that I had ordered. On the amp I installed a 12AY7 into V1, a NOS GE 12AX7 (laying around at home) into V2, I left the Chinese 12AX7 in V3 and a pair of Tung Sol 5881's for the Power section. I then fired up the amp and started to measure voltages. Everything came in spec, except the bias was a little low so I tweaked it up some and Woo Hoo!!! I plugged the guitar and jammed a little.

:bluesdance:

I then turned the amp off, replaced the solid state rectifier with the a tube rectifier (5U4GB) and powered the unit backup. Double checked the voltages and found the bias a little low by a couple of milliamps so the amp is running a hair cold. I will need to change a resistor and put the pot back to midpoint so I can maximize the adjustment in the future if needed - however the amp is usable now and in reality - done. The rest are small minor mods. I plugged the guitar back in and started playing - whew - SCHWEET!!! :grin:

Future mods:
Bias Resistor to put pot closer to center position
Maybe add a "Presence" control

I also gotta fix the rear cover that came with the cabinet. I need to cut a cavity in it to provide better ventilation.

The Chassis With Tubes Loaded

TheWorkWithTubes.jpg

Top Chassis

FrontTopwithTubes.jpg

Completed Front Chassis

SaintAmpFrontView.jpg

Completed Back Chassis

SaintAmpBack.jpg

The Completed Amp

SaintAmpFront.jpg

Rear Shot

SaintAmpRear.jpg

Last edited:
Ready for a front plate? It would be awesome to cut yours and Prages on the same day. It looks like the machine will be open in about 2 weeks.

Finally!

So, are you happy with the toanz?

Yep, finally! The toanz are incredible and the amp really kicks ass. So far I have only the volume control up to 3 1/2. Hope to do my clips soon. Much different app then yours.

Ready for a front plate? It would be awesome to cut yours and Prages on the same day. It looks like the machine will be open in about 2 weeks.

Yes I am. I will send you a PM with an idea of what I want. We shall if it is doable.

very nice.

Thanks Chad.

This sounded awesome today in class. I want one now badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back