Weber 5E7M - Saint style!!!

Sweet. I was just coming into the thread to ask if you had gotten it yet!

Yep - One happy Saint! :grin:

I just did inventory and found so far only the #8 Sheet Metal Screws for mounting the Fiber Board missing. I did find it odd though that my 10M ohm resistor appears to be small. Need to compare to a 1/4 Watt or 1/2 Watt in my parts bin.:confused:

Parts Listing by MSMusik's Rainman, on Flickr

I like Prages method of component ID. Not as detailed as his though.

Component Inventory by MSMusik's Rainman, on Flickr

The Chassis Package

Chassis Parts Unveiling by MSMusik's Rainman, on Flickr

Unveiling the Chassis

Chassis Time by MSMusik's Rainman, on Flickr

The cabinet is included in the price listed on the Weber site. If you choose no cabinet, the kit costs $75 less. Modern Saint was smarter than me and waited until Weber was having a 10% off sale, so his price with the cab and T-shirt was only $57 more than what I paid. :embarrassed:

I did find it odd though that my 10M ohm resistor appears to be small. Need to compare to a 1/4 Watt or 1/2 Watt in my parts bin.:confused:

My 10M resistor was small too. It's on the far right...second label up from the bottom.

Components.jpg

Crap, sale ends tonight. I'm torn now between the java, natalie, and the 6a20.

They seem to have 10% sales pretty often. I'd bet that around the middle of November, they'll run a Christmas sale.

Or you could just bite the bullet and order today. :grin:

FWIW, just looking at the layout, it looks like to me you should be able to pull two tubes. It looks like it's got the two tubes on each side running in series, with the two series of tubes in parallel. I think that means you could pull either the inner or outer pair, change your impedance setting, and be good to go.

I think.

FWIW, just looking at the layout, it looks like to me you should be able to pull two tubes. It looks like it's got the two tubes on each side running in series, with the two series of tubes in parallel. I think that means you could pull either the inner or outer pair, change your impedance setting, and be good to go.

I think.

If that's the case, I think I can pull off a half power switch.

The cabinet is included in the price listed on the Weber site. If you choose no cabinet, the kit costs $75 less. Modern Saint was smarter than me and waited until Weber was having a 10% off sale, so his price with the cab and T-shirt was only $57 more than what I paid. :embarrassed:

I would just say lucky more. They extended the an additional month after I ordered mine and I did mine on the last day. The T-shirt was the bonus.

I'm thinking this one at the moment...I seem to change my mind daily though :embarrassed:

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60a.htm#6A20H

I went through this for the past year as well. Like yourself I too was interested in the 6A20H because stupid me didn't buy a used blackface when they were affordable some 18 years ago. Played the waiting game and well....

My choice to do 5E7M like Prages was my desire 1) to own the Tweed type amp, 2) Bassman or Bandmaster type circuitry, 3) TMB controls. Although I have thrown around the idea of a presence control, it is not important as my JC, Marshall, MB have that control. So let me go for something more pure.

My 10M resistor was small too. It's on the far right...second label up from the bottom.

Components.jpg

That is what's cool about what you did regarding your component layout. What are the 1 ohm resistors for in the lower right corner?

That is what's cool about what you did regarding your component layout. What are the 1 ohm resistors for in the lower right corner?

I put those from pin 8 of each power tube to ground. Then you can clip your multimeter to them and read the voltage drop across the resistor to set bias. I knew when I started that I was going to mod the amp for adjustable bias, so I went ahead and put those resistors in when I built it. They didn't come with the kit.

They are 1ohm 2 watt 1% tolerance. Actually, telecaster911 sent them to me after hand picking and matching their resistance.

I signed up for their forum but havent received my green light yet.

Great stuff once you get in. I haven't posted anything there but will soon. Alot of information flying back and forth.

Crap, sale ends tonight. I'm torn now between the java, natalie, and the 6a20.

I was looking at the "Java" or the "Halle" for a future build.

...and I need another amp like I need another hole in my head :embarrassed:

We are all in that boat brother. Can't we just be happy with one or two? Not, they do sound different.

I put those from pin 8 of each power tube to ground. Then you can clip your multimeter to them and read the voltage drop across the resistor to set bias. I knew when I started that I was going to mod the amp for adjustable bias, so I went ahead and put those resistors in when I built it. They didn't come with the kit.

They are 1ohm 2 watt 1% tolerance. Actually, telecaster911 sent them to me after hand picking and matching their resistance.

Makes sense. I just started to install the components on the eyelet board last night and remembered that I too will be adding the adjustable bias as well. I will need to buy these components in the next couple of days.

Back