The Whiskey Thread

6517_227b0457343e881a797a31d7d221fdc0.png

You it's know good when it comes in plastic.
That's so when you get shit faced drunk and drop the bottle you can continue to drink unlike those fancy pants ones that come in glass...one drop with those and it's all over but the crying.

That's so when you get shit faced drunk and drop the bottle you can continue to drink unlike those fancy pants ones that come in glass...one drop with those and it's all over but the crying.

Or you have a nice decanter and aren't worried about your guest seeing your plastic bottle.

The small batch distillery a few miles away just announced that their Rye is now available for order.
They had an unaged , white rye for the first couple of years while their first batch aged.

$30 Canadian.
I got excited. That's very reasonable here.

Then I read the details. 200 ml bottles.
That's 6.763 US fluid ounces.

So, $4.44 per shot.

For reference Bulleit Rye is $1.58 per shot.

I don't usually do that kind of cost analysis on things like booze, but the 200 ml thing really jumped out as an odd size.
It might be worth it, but I'd really rather pay more for a bigger bottle just for the convenience.

All that griping being complete, I will still probably get a bottle. :grin:

The small batch distillery a few miles away just announced that their Rye is now available for order.
They had an unaged , white rye for the first couple of years while their first batch aged.

$30 Canadian.
I got excited. That's very reasonable here.

Then I read the details. 200 ml bottles.
That's 6.763 US fluid ounces.

So, $4.44 per shot.

For reference Bulleit Rye is $1.58 per shot.

I don't usually do that kind of cost analysis on things like booze, but the 200 ml thing really jumped out as an odd size.
It might be worth it, but I'd really rather pay more for a bigger bottle just for the convenience.

All that griping being complete, I will still probably get a bottle. :grin:

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye got rated one of the best in the world. It goes for between 30-40 for a 5th.

I'm all about supporting local stuff, but I always think it's ridiculous when local businesses expect you to pay a premium for an inferior product just because it is local. $12 for a 6 pack of some ok beer from a brewery that is right down the road. No thanks.

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye got rated one of the best in the world. It goes for between 30-40 for a 5th.

I'm all about supporting local stuff, but I always think it's ridiculous when local businesses expect you to pay a premium for an inferior product just because it is local. $12 for a 6 pack of some ok beer from a brewery that is right down the road. No thanks.

I tried it (I think it was $32 here) and found it to be okay, but not great.

My sister bought me a bottle of Blade and Bow. Way more than I would spend on a whiskey. But I guess it's worth the price, because it's really good.

My sister bought me a bottle of Blade and Bow. Way more than I would spend on a whiskey. But I guess it's worth the price, because it's really good.
The one without the age statement runs about $40 around here. It's a good drinker. The 22 year is somewhere around $150-200. It's very special but that's a tough price for the casual drinker. Which one did you get?

The one without the age statement runs about $40 around here. It's a good drinker. The 22 year is somewhere around $150-200. It's very special but that's a tough price for the casual drinker. Which one did you get?

No age statement. Price I saw online was $65.

No age statement. Price I saw online was $65.
That's the way a lot of them are moving lately. It's getting harder to find great ones under $50, unfortunately. They are still out there, but, with a few exceptions, the current trend is either to reduce quality or raise price. :-/

That's the way a lot of them are moving lately. It's getting harder to find great ones under $50, unfortunately. They are still out there, but, with a few exceptions, the current trend is either to reduce quality or raise price. :-/

The non-age statement Elijah Craig I bought has been as good as I expected it to be. I've mostly been drinking Glenmorangie 10, but that's not bourbon. I was going to start buying Evan Williams again, but they're advertising during the MLB postseason, and I expect that will drive up prices/down quality, as you've said.

The frugal shopper in me got caught by a good discount on Beam's Devils Cut. Eh...not terrible but not a great. Ton of wood with big upfront sweetnesss that gives way to cinnamon and a lot of heat for the proof on the finish.

The non-age statement Elijah Craig I bought has been as good as I expected it to be. I've mostly been drinking Glenmorangie 10, but that's not bourbon. I was going to start buying Evan Williams again, but they're advertising during the MLB postseason, and I expect that will drive up prices/down quality, as you've said.

IDK, the last bottle of NAS EC I had wasn't all that good & couldn't hold a candle to the sample of EC 12 that had side by side. Can't see buying it going forward.

I did a census and after giving a few bottles away for raffles I have 12 single malts, mostly unopened sitting in the house.

I need to get my shot together and drink then.

I've still always got a bottle of the Balvenie Doublewood around, but mostly I've been drinking Manhattans made with Port and Bulleit Rye. We stumbled upon the Port variation when we ran out of Vermouth one day and now it's the new default. There's some Woodfords in the cabinet too. I've really grown fond of Bourbon in my dotage.

Back