The Whiskey Thread

I look for deals at Costco, sometimes they'll have a good scotch with a decent discount. Just picked up a 16 YO Lagavulin.

I look for deals at Costco, sometimes they'll have a good scotch with a decent discount. Just picked up a 16 YO Lagavulin.
Because of our retarded liquor laws in MD, only liquor stores are allowed to sell wine, beer and spirits. The stores in VA can sell wine and beer, but I'm not sure about liquor though. I'll have to check next time I'm at the Leesburg VA Costco.

I have yet to try it though I've has Lagavulin before and liked it a lot. I can't remember exactly what we paid since my wife has the receipt someplace safe :shrug: but I think it was either $38 or $43

My neighbour dropped off three bottles of whisky for me tonight Apparently he has had to stop drinking the hard stuff, so he's offloading his 40 strong whisky selection onto friends and neighbours

I got 1 almost full bottle of Penderyn as he knew my mum is welsh. I really don't like it but I'm not one to knock back a gift :)

And two bottles of SMWS as I mentioned I liked some of theirs. These are only half full but they are

23.4 - their fourth ever cask of Bruichladdich, distilled dec 1974, bottled june 1990, 58%- This was very disappointing, really lacking in flavour but that's often to be expected for long opened bottles.

and

48.1 - their first ever cask from Balmenach, distilled March 1975 , bottled Oct 1987 , 55.2% - This was utterly exceptional and I would happily buy it for a lot of money. I'll be keeping an eye out on the whisky auction sites for an unopened one

Ding dong, the Gentleman Jack is finally gone.

Ugh, that shit sucked. I've been hiding it in green tea hot toddys for the past year. Finally got through it.

Next up, that craptastic bottle of The Irishman my friend gave me.

Reactions: Tig
My wife recently procured a bottle of Michter's Limited Release Rye.
About twice the price of the regular version, this is definitely a different rye. There's really no smoke or wood to it, but there's plenty of spice and a beautiful vanilla, almost caramel, flavor. I had it on the rocks with just a little splash of water, and it was just so good! It's not quite in the same league as Whistlepig, if only because it's not as complex. But it's freaking tasty as all git-out!
michters-barrel-strength-rye.jpg

My wife recently procured a bottle of Michter's Limited Release Rye.
About twice the price of the regular version, this is definitely a different rye. There's really no smoke or wood to it, but there's plenty of spice and a beautiful vanilla, almost caramel, flavor. I had it on the rocks with just a little splash of water, and it was just so good! It's not quite in the same league as Whistlepig, if only because it's not as complex. But it's freaking tasty as all git-out!
michters-barrel-strength-rye.jpg
I like that one. It's a bit spendy for a rye, though. If you happen upon any Willet 3yr Rye, buy it. It's getting hard to find lately but holy shit.

Reactions: Tig
I had a Japanese whisky a few weeks ago. It's was different. Didn't stop me from drinking it though.
Angels Envy though, that shit is fantastic.
I've been sticking with the Buffalo as a regular though.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

At the moment I have:
Seagram's V.O.
Jack Daniels
Crown Royal
Jameson Caskmates
Booker's
Four Roses Single Barrel
Midleton

I like that one. It's a bit spendy for a rye, though. If you happen upon any Willet 3yr Rye, buy it. It's getting hard to find lately but holy shit.
I agree, it is too expensive, about the same price as Whistlepig. Both are phenomenal, but the regular Michter's is just so great that it's not really worth it to spend twice as much.
I'll be on the lookout for the Willet.

Just had a bottle of Stagg Jr. from the Buffalo Trace makers. It was good but at $50 and 130 proof its a bit too brutal for my taste. I refuse to cut with water though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Just had a bottle of Stagg Jr. from the Buffalo Trace makers. It was good but at $50 and 130 proof its a bit too brutal for my taste. I refuse to cut with water though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

High proofers take some getting used to. I call them "achievement bourbon" in the same vein we like to ascribe weedly weedly guitar as "achievement guitar." The bourbon fanatics go nuts for them, but they're not really approachable for most people. I love Stagg Jr, but I'm trying to back off from high proofers a little so I'm not so dependent on my heartburn meds.

Also, it's meant to be cut with a little water. It helps open it up so you can appreciate the nuances. One of the really spectacular things about Stagg Jr is all the little flavors that you can pick out from it. There's a lot going on there.

Picked up a bottle of the latest bottling (no age statement) of Elijah Craig Small Batch 1789 today. The small batch has been my go-to affordable bourbon for a while and hopefully stays that way.

Last edited:
Back