The Biking Thread

Holland terminal
IMG_8358.JPG
McLean - Just inside McLean county after about 68 miles.
IMG_8344.JPG
Stopped in Atlanta long enough to get blasted with a storm siren test. Crapola, that hurt. From there I traced back over that detour and decided to stay off 66 for a while longer but missed a turn on the map and ended up on some roads with bigass loose rock. Fun.
IMG_8377.JPG
In Lincoln, platted by the man himself and named for him before he was president.
IMG_8382.JPG IMG_8388.JPG
Stopped at McD's here (sorry health thread) and had my first Big Mac in ages. No wallet in my pocket (I wear regular shorts over bike shorts) on the way in. No surprise whatsoever and I went out and picked it up in the parking lot. :embarrassed: Camera fell out of my pocket on the way into town and almost came apart. Pretty much obligatory as well; still works. :embarrassed: Used my small town-level bike lock for the first time while I went into McD and ate under one of their trees.
IMG_8390.JPG
Wasn't too tired and strayed from 66 again.
IMG_8403.JPG
The preparation plant mentioned earlier.
IMG_8415.JPG IMG_8424.JPG
Just south of Elkhart. I meant to get back on 66 at Elkhart but realized I would have to go right over Elkhart Hill, which is part of a glacial moraine. Didn't know how far I had ridden but knew it was really far and didn't know how steep it was but knew it was pretty steep, so I kept on going and added a few miles. Unless you take a well-trafficked main road around here you're going to do a lot of right angles as most of the back roads are on a grid. When I mapped it later on mapmyride it turned out I had ridden 104 miles and the grade on the hill got up to 11%. Fuuuu. Totally made the right call on skipping it. Here's the conveyor I mentioned earlier and an old cattle baron estate. Lot of history and prehistory here as it's a natural landmark on the prairie. Same foot trail that was used by Indians- French-British-Americans and goes over the hill also ran right next to the creek I live next to south of Springfield. http://illinoistimes.com/article-5781-the-view-from-elkhart-hill.html
IMG_8432.JPG IMG_8434.JPG
Sangamon River, far north side of Springfield: about 23 miles to go. I had stopped about 8 miles before this to wait on some potential rain and I was pretty wiped out after that. Slight headwind part of the way back, which didn't help. Stopped at MWGL favorite Taco Bell on the south side and powered through the rail trail at about my usual speed but kind of crawled after that. Got home around 7, which wasn't bad after many stops and added miles. No desire to do that much again but I'll probably get close. With about 12 or 13 miles to go some kid on a bike asked me if I wanted to race. :lol::facepalm:
IMG_8441.JPG

I did 20 miles round trip to my usual grocery store last night (car not fixed yet) and that was almost as adventurous. :embarrassed: Really need panniers. My backpack was stuffed beyond capacity and I ended up with two frozen burritos in my pocket, one of which I dropped on the road of course. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Makes my 43 miler look kind of pathetic.

But like I said before I can't see being in the saddle that long anyways...my neck and back would never handle it...

Not with your elevation gain, it doesn't. I doubt I'd last 50 there. I only gained just short of 2,000 miles and the wind was extremely light. Kind of dunderheaded with the saddle I rode on too, which I just found is a mountain bike saddle. :facepalm: Everything seems to be okay but I'm lucky if I haven't earned some nerve damage points. Sit bones were totally massacred.

I also had forgotten I ate a beet shortly before last night's ride and thought I was pissing blood for a minute after I got home. :facepalm: @jaxn slim :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Only 21 miles today. I felt pretty good considering I've taken the last few Saturday's off.
The new ink on the leg can't be in sunlight for long and not riding in the heat is also a good excuse. :wink: Around here, summer is our off season, much like winter is for most of you.

You guys are racking up more mileage than me for sure. Got another mountain bike ride in today. Trails were really nice after an all night steady rain on Friday night. No pics this time. This is not my strava, but shows the ride. 12.1 miles, 1978 elevation gain, etc. http://www.strava.com/activities/12572579

:eek::grin::embarrassed:

elv.jpg

Probably not my exact gain as I don't have a GPS and have to do some guesswork about exactly what zig zag routes I took in small towns, but it's very close.

:eek::grin::embarrassed:

View attachment 22590

Probably not my exact gain as I don't have a GPS and have to do some guesswork about exactly what zig zag routes I took in small towns, but it's very close.
LOL! Same number elevation, vastly different distance. That's crazy talk right there! Most of the mountain bike rides we do are between 12 and 20 or so miles, and between 2k and 3k elevation gain. And usually a couple hours of time. But a quick lunch ride will be less.

Also, I would like to start adding in some longer road and gravel miles. I have not been commuting as much this year, and have been on my mountain bike mostly. Not a bad thing as I love it. But it probably does not hurt to mix it up. Also, if I don't road ride, I tend to hurt when I do go on longer trips in the saddle. My neck and back are just not used to the position as compared to the more modern upright, wide, chest up position I maintain on my mountain bike.

LOL! Same number elevation, vastly different distance. That's crazy talk right there! Most of the mountain bike rides we do are between 12 and 20 or so miles, and between 2k and 3k elevation gain. And usually a couple hours of time. But a quick lunch ride will be less.

*cries* Do you at least get some momentum from some big downhills?

*cries* Do you at least get some momentum from some big downhills?
Most of the cross country riding that i do is about an hour to hour and a half up, then down, sometimes with a little more up thrown in on the down. Generally up a valley/canyon to a saddle or ridge, then down and around through another drainage or something like that. Good riding and you do get some good descents. Really fun stuff.

Also, they have lift served stuff on Baldy, but I am too snooty to ride the lift. :wink: I prefer to earn that downhill. And even better than Baldy, Galena Lodge, a community based XC skiing center north of Ketchum, has developed a bunch more trails that are a mix of cross country and a lot of fun flow traily type stuff with bumps and jumps and berms, etc. It rides really differently from the traditional XC trails around here, which are really just adapted game, hiking and/or Moto made backcountry trails. These trails remind me of some in Bend, OR where you climb, but really gently and with a lot of fun mixed in, then get some swoopy, turny fun downhill with the berms and jumps etc. A nice addition!

I don't think this map is updated for all of it, but you get an idea.

http://74.115.229.75/wp-content/uploads/HarrGalenaTrlsBroch-2013-2_May14-2.pdf

Most of the cross country riding that i do is about an hour to hour and a half up, then down, sometimes with a little more up thrown in on the down. Generally up a valley/canyon to a saddle or ridge, then down and around through another drainage or something like that. Good riding and you do get some good descents. Really fun stuff.

Also, they have lift served stuff on Baldy, but I am too snooty to ride the lift. :wink: I prefer to earn that downhill. And even better than Baldy, Galena Lodge, a community based XC skiing center north of Ketchum, has developed a bunch more trails that are a mix of cross country and a lot of fun flow traily type stuff with bumps and jumps and berms, etc. It rides really differently from the traditional XC trails around here, which are really just adapted game, hiking and/or Moto made backcountry trails. These trails remind me of some in Bend, OR where you climb, but really gently and with a lot of fun mixed in, then get some swoopy, turny fun downhill with the berms and jumps etc. A nice addition!

I don't think this map is updated for all of it, but you get an idea.

http://74.115.229.75/wp-content/uploads/HarrGalenaTrlsBroch-2013-2_May14-2.pdf

I like how some of them say easy. :embarrassed:

I think MTB would be pretty hard, frankly I've never done it. I think it would be a lot more workout on your back/knees/neck/arms and shoulders from all the bouncing around :shrug: And hard is relative. Theodore, your 145 mile ride would be very hard for me even with no elevation and light winds since it is just so long. I'm going for about 3 hours max and then I start to degrade (those back/knees/necks that I mentioned start to be more than just sore). And if you can ride 145 a few miles of 7/8% grades shouldn't be a problem. This would probably be much easier for you than your 145 miles would be for me that's for sure. And I totally agree with SVL, you earn the downhills. The ride below has a cat 2 climb in it. 1200' at 8% for 3 miles. I need the downhill to recover...

• 56.7mi
    Distance
  • 3:38:11
    Moving Time
  • 3,249ft
    Elevation
Avg Max
Speed 15.6mi/h 34.7mi/h

Calories 2,514
Elapsed Time 3:48:27

I like how some of them say easy. :embarrassed:
That is the thing that is nice about these new trails, some are really good for kids and newer cyclists. And they are so interconnected that you can set a goal to hit certain trails, and if it does not work out, make your way back to the lodge for a good micro-brew and some good mountain hippy food, and not be fully committed to a 3 hour sufferfest. And they are not charging for summer use of the trails. Winter XC ski use requires a pass, but it is pretty darned inexpensive as compared to alpine skiing. A neat place!

I think MTB would be pretty hard, frankly I've never done it. I think it would be a lot more workout on your back/knees/neck/arms and shoulders from all the bouncing around :shrug: And hard is relative. Theodore, your 145 mile ride would be very hard for me even with no elevation and light winds since it is just so long. I'm going for about 3 hours max and then I start to degrade (those back/knees/necks that I mentioned start to be more than just sore). And if you can ride 145 a few miles of 7/8% grades shouldn't be a problem. This would probably be much easier for you than your 145 miles would be for me that's for sure. And I totally agree with SVL, you earn the downhills. The ride below has a cat 2 climb in it. 1200' at 8% for 3 miles. I need the downhill to recover...

• 56.7mi
    Distance
  • 3:38:11
    Moving Time
  • 3,249ft
    Elevation
Avg Max
Speed 15.6mi/h 34.7mi/h

Calories 2,514
Elapsed Time 3:48:27

Here ya go.

That looks really steep! Some of those guys need to learn the tried and true XC racer uh-oh-this-is-too-steep-I-need-to-bail-and-hike-up quick transition.

PS, man some of those folks look overdressed. I wonder how cold it really was. I don't see snow or ice around.

I have a feeling they warmed up quickly. :wink:

It's always hard for me to tell how steep something is on a video but that looks pretty steep and the cobbles make it worse. The ride I posted isn't that steep I think. It's got a few +15% areas but for the most part it's a reasonably steady grade. There are some areas around here that are stupid steep...I have avoided them :grin:. Like one about 1/2 a mile at ~20% (1.1 miles at 11%) no thanks I think I'd probably die

Back