The Biking Thread

Ok, so, I have some good early season base cycling in at home, and am now on a trip in Italy, and got a little ride in yesterday, and hoping to get several rides in over here on this trip. I have signed up again for Rebecca’s (Rusch) Private Idaho gravel ride, the 56 or so mile French Fry version, and joined up also for her BaseCamp training that starts in a few days with her trainer, so I will be in Italy for the beginning of that. Hoping to use that training and this race as a springboard back into better cycling fitness, as I feel like just a regular old fat schmo on my bike now. Onward! Cycling out of Brunello, Veneto, Italy today, looking at a 31 mile or so route. The route says it has some gravel on it, but likely mostly road. 2600 feet or so of elevation. Goes around a lake. Hoping to find a Bianchi Green gravel bike to rent down in town.

We are staying part way up Duran Pass, La Valle, Agordina, up hill from Belluno a stretch. Apparently this narrow pass is or has been used by the Giro d’Italia, and it is crazy beautiful! Steep as fuck, narrow, and lots of cars and motorcycles, so not thinking I will attempt that climb. But fun to see and inspiring!

2D21FFB0-8444-4358-8FB1-F6DD47571FA8.jpeg

32B12F9B-94F3-4616-A37C-AAFE8E0AC5E8.jpeg
32B12F9B-94F3-4616-A37C-AAFE8E0AC5E8.jpeg

I bicycled a short ride, 9 miles, here yesterday, in the pouring rain on a crappy rental mountain bike, along the valley floor and then up to a church on a chill. Got appreciative nods at least from some other road cyclists that passed me on the way up the hill. Had plastic flat pedals and old Costco fake running shoes on, and that all got soaked, but was great to get out! Should be on a better kit today.
46C3B93F-618E-45B8-B66A-A113DC244424.jpeg

Ok, so, I have some good early season base cycling in at home, and am now on a trip in Italy, and got a little ride in yesterday, and hoping to get several rides in over here on this trip. I have signed up again for Rebecca’s (Rusch) Private Idaho gravel ride, the 56 or so mile French Fry version, and joined up also for her BaseCamp training that starts in a few days with her trainer, so I will be in Italy for the beginning of that. Hoping to use that training and this race as a springboard back into better cycling fitness, as I feel like just a regular old fat schmo on my bike now. Onward! Cycling out of Brunello, Veneto, Italy today, looking at a 31 mile or so route. The route says it has some gravel on it, but likely mostly road. 2600 feet or so of elevation. Goes around a lake. Hoping to find a Bianchi Green gravel bike to rent down in town.

We are staying part way up Duran Pass, La Valle, Agordina, up hill from Belluno a stretch. Apparently this narrow pass is or has been used by the Giro d’Italia, and it is crazy beautiful! Steep as fuck, narrow, and lots of cars and motorcycles, so not thinking I will attempt that climb. But fun to see and inspiring!

View attachment 75530

View attachment 75531 View attachment 75531

I bicycled a short ride, 9 miles, here yesterday, in the pouring rain on a crappy rental mountain bike, along the valley floor and then up to a church on a chill. Got appreciative nods at least from some other road cyclists that passed me on the way up the hill. Had plastic flat pedals and old Costco fake running shoes on, and that all got soaked, but was great to get out! Should be on a better kit today.
View attachment 75532

I've heard the My Own Private Idaho gravel ride is better than Rebecca’s.

Visual ride report. Got in 33 miles/53km on a really beautiful top end bike. A carbon OPEN with carbon racing wheels and GRX electronic push button shifting. Top shelf stuff. The shop I went to did not have much in their rental stock other than a hard tail e-bike mountain bike, and when they saw the ride I wanted to do, the guy in the repair portion of the shop let me rent his personal bike! Not sure if I would have done that. But really nice he did. I found a ride that was largely gravel and/or bike path, with some road portions that were on wide roads with shoulders, as opposed to the super narrow mountain roads where we are staying, and where i feel it would be dangerous for this non-pro to ride. Great day! Now, I will need to see if I can find a proper bike rental for some more miles. I am in vacation mode and it is possible I could outeat my exercise a bit. :wink:

03B93A3C-848A-4A66-A8AE-D9204C3B0E61.jpeg
9ED0A1E9-1CA6-43EA-B57F-399527C930BC.jpeg
A8033858-6EE7-499B-B664-E708B920F0EA.jpeg
D39AF5F5-6D5E-4467-BFAC-B30B7EFB8E06.jpeg
7F9CE708-D257-4F7D-9C55-D33D27AC1370.jpeg
39698974-81F6-4560-89B8-E3BC8269F5F8.jpeg
99763DF2-DFF5-4DE9-A1D6-1DD86116B7FF.jpeg
8EC05BED-A3B0-4064-B7B0-80DDC2DEF6FF.jpeg
55D70016-0A77-43E6-B6B7-EF51952248A8.jpeg
91D2B3B6-B11A-4F64-8A0D-D387623F7420.jpeg

So got a new pair of bike shoes (my first) and I had the delta (3 screw) cleats to go with my pedals.

the shows came with 4 screws on the sole screwed into a plate between the outer sole and inner sole. I took the screw off so the clear would fit flush to the sole.

now the little plate is floating around and clicking with each pedal stroke.

not a deal breaker but not ideal to hear it all the time. Is this normal?

So got a new pair of bike shoes (my first) and I had the delta (3 screw) cleats to go with my pedals.

the shows came with 4 screws on the sole screwed into a plate between the outer sole and inner sole. I took the screw off so the clear would fit flush to the sole.

They make replacement cleats and adapters/stabilizers you can get pretty cheap.
So, no, it's not supposed to do that. Just google clipless cleat adapter and you'll find what you need. I had to do it for my old mountain bike shoes.

What is the shoe?

All of mine have multiple cleat mounting options/adapters but they all mount solid w/ no clicking or popping. I've flipped then between SPD, speedplay and Look cleats.

Last edited:
2A1F09DB-5573-4153-A859-B07F836BFF3E.jpeg

See the four screw heads? They screw into a little plate. After taking the screws off, that little plate is just floating.

That’s a stock pic from Amazon before the cleats are installed. I’m using the delta triangle thingy kind. Forget the name

That’s a stock pic from Amazon before the cleats are installed. I’m using the delta triangle thingy kind. Forget the name
Good. But yeah, you don't want any parts floating around. A bike shop would steer you in the right direction as to what adapter or parts you would need. It should be inexpensive.

Those look like decent shoes. I love the BOA system. The dial with the lace. It works really well.

Last edited:
Back