'something the public doesn't know about your job' thread.

We've been building equipment to keep workers safe for 50 years. Our equipment is everywhere from kids backpacks monitoring diesel particulates from idling school busses to the space shuttle. From the tops of the poles in NYC to monitor air quality and basically anywhere there is potential for injury risk from the workplace and more recently, the EPA. Don't trust that your employer has your best health interest in mind. Sometimes his margin is larger if he pays the claim rather than fix hazardous issue at your health expense.

We also manufacture testing equipment for meth, anthrax, SARS, biological agents, nerve agents, etc.

Makes sense if you are in a cover band I suppose. But what do the big acts do when they have no new material to put out there? I'll use..... how about .38 Special. I have the Sturgis DVD that has been around for a long time. The better half and I went to see 'em live at the Topsfield Fair in the not so distant past. I posted pics up here of that show. I saw them way back in the day too.... very foggy memories of that show. Anyhow, the shows were almost identical, down to the set list. I'm thinking.... at that point, why bother practicing or changing things up with new arrangements? 45 minutes onstage, a 5 minute break, then a 10-15 minute encore. They are done in about 2 hrs and headed for the bus.

It depends on the situation. Prince rehearses his bands 8-10 hours at a time when they are working up for something. If I was a touring original act there might be "maintenance" rehearsals to clean things up that are getting loose. If I was a band whose recording prime was behind them then it just "cranking out the hits autopilot". If I was in a band that was currently happening I'd be rehearsing constantly during soundchecks and whatnot trying to generate new material so that the next album in the cycle isn't such a problem to write for on the spot.

I know very little about why your power went out, at least until after the fact and the reports have been turned in from the field, and even then I'd have to go look them up. That has nothing to do with my job.

Similarly, I can't tell you when your power will be back on or help to make that any sooner.

I don't get free or discounted power to my home.

The amount of time I've spent using actual engineering knowledge that I learned in college, or for that matter anything more than algebra, isn't that often. Most problems have already been solved and most engineers have copy/paste templates to the solutions that they just change the variables to over and over all day to get the custom solutions. Right now, as an Engineer I, just about anybody could do my job with proper training of about 6 months. The only difference is how much they would understand about why they're doing what they're doing. The results would be mostly the same.

It depends on the situation. Prince rehearses his bands 8-10 hours at a time when they are working up for something. If I was a touring original act there might be "maintenance" rehearsals to clean things up that are getting loose. If I was a band whose recording prime was behind them then it just "cranking out the hits autopilot". If I was in a band that was currently happening I'd be rehearsing constantly during soundchecks and whatnot trying to generate new material so that the next album in the cycle isn't such a problem to write for on the spot.

Now this isn't something I would have thought of. I would think that most popular noob bands wouldn't have time for any of that. If they were trying to do a tour for a new record, I'd be guessing they would be tied up doing image boosting shit, like photo sessions & radio interviews. Unless I am totally wrong, I don't think many cover bands get that kind of attention.

1. The "Janitorial Service" that I often do contract work for, is NOT in the janitorial business.

2. Royalty checks for $1.36 cost the entertainment industry more than that to produce, and they pass those savings on to you.

3. You can score a lot of free shit by dropping the right names, but no name makes it rain like "Jimmy James".

Here is why drugs cost so much money....

You start with a disease you need a drug to treat. You spend a few years of lab research to figure out what causes the disease. You find a 'target' that when blocked, prevents the disease. You develop a way to measure if the target is blocked in a test tube model. So, you have probably invested 4-5 years of lead time and early assay development. It might take another 2 years to miniaturize the assay so you can screen lots of chemicals. Once you have an effective assay in the microscale required for a drug screen, you can start work.

Looking for drugs is done by random screening. You take a library of chemicals, maybe 3 million of them, and put each one on your assay to see if it blocks that 'target molecule'. A full screening campaign might take 3 weeks of robot time and cost upwards of half a million dollars. This effort typically identifies a few thousand chemicals that block the target. Each of these is run through secondary assays to rule out off target effects, bad pharmacology, etc. to arrive at a single 'lead molecule'. The lead molecule is usually not potent enough to be a drug yet. You might spend a year on optimizing the 'lead molecule' via chemical modifications to improve activity and learn what parts of the chemical are important. With this effort you get an 'optimized lead molecule'. This then goes to medicinal chemistry to make it more soluble and bioavailable, and make sure the compound doesn't have adverse metabolism or toxicity. Medicinal chemistry development might take another year or so. You now have a 'drug'.

Next the drug goes into animal models for efficacy on the disease and toxicity testing. Also, animals are dosed with the compound and monitored for adverse effects. If everything looks OK from this, the compound heads off to the FDA for application permits to start a small clinical trial. You get some people with the disease and run a very small test on them, to see if the drug works, if there are side effects, and how the drug is absorbed. Once you have the dosing down, and see no problems, the drug proceeds to a larger clinical trial to see how well it does against lots of people with the disease. If that works, you do an even larger trial, and finally, you move to a multiple center phase III trial in tens of thousands of patients. If everything looks good, you collect all this data and send it off to the FDA for approval. The approval might take 3-4 years, and often results in additional clinical trials to evaluate any side effects that were seen. If all goes well, you get an FDA approved medication you can sell.

If you are lucky, your company filed many patents on the drug, and your competitors have nothing similar (like a better drug that hits a different target). You get about 7 years of on patent time to recover everything you spent so far. This is typically about 500-600 million dollars so far. You also have to cover the costs of all the failed drugs that you put through the process above, but fail somewhere along the way. For every 500 lead optimized compounds that go into a clinical trial aspect, maybe 1 comes out as an FDA approved medication. This might cost another 300 million dollars or so. When you add in manufacturing costs, patents, salaries, etc., the new drug has to make a BILLION dollars before you make a dime. And you need it in 7 years before a generic manufacturer starts making a copy of your medication.

Big pharma would actually makes more money just investing their cash in stocks and bonds. I was just involved in killing off a drug in phase II clinical trials where a company had already invested over 400 million dollars in development work.

On TV, scientists look at a picture of the target and point where a drug would bind, then make a drug to stick on the target. Reality is, science sucks at this 'rational drug design' and almost every drug out there is found by the iterative random screening method I outlined above.

Last edited:
Taking slightly-demented but largely functioning old ladies to the supermarket to help them with their shopping can, occasionally, be quite amusing.

Here is why drugs cost so much money....

Fascinating as always :thu:

So how much government assistance can pharmaceutical companies get in the way of tax breaks, grants, etc. ?

Also what are the main difference in the process between the U.S., Canada, and the E.U.?

Now this isn't something I would have thought of. I would think that most popular noob bands wouldn't have time for any of that. If they were trying to do a tour for a new record, I'd be guessing they would be tied up doing image boosting shit, like photo sessions & radio interviews. Unless I am totally wrong, I don't think many cover bands get that kind of attention.

That's why noob headliner bands have soundchecks that take up all of the support acts soindcheck time :embarrassed:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fascinating as always :thu:

So how much government assistance can pharmaceutical companies get in the way of tax breaks, grants, etc. ?

Also what are the main difference in the process between the U.S., Canada, and the E.U.?

Much of the first part, the target finding and understanding the disease comes from basic science research at universities, govt. labs, etc., but some of it does come from pharma as well. Anyway, that part is paid for by taxes. The screening, development work, and so on, and much of the clinical trials are paid for by pharma. They don't get any government assistance in that part. I don't think they get any tax breaks, other than many get breaks for donating huge amounts of free meds to things like the world health organization. Still, I doubt that even puts a dent in their tax bill.

The process is very similar in Canada and Europe. The differences really come into play with the different regulatory agencies that approve drugs in each country. Pharmas are global mega-corporations and the clinical bits are run in parallel in several countries so the eventual approval dates are similar. The development, chem, and screening usually is done on one site. Most of these facilities are in the US, the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, and Canada. The selection of a site to run the development really depends on the scientists at each facility. If you want a heart medication, it might get developed in the cardiovascular focus unit in a New Jersey facility. If the drug is for malaria, it might go to the infectious disease research group in England.

Folks that know how to make really intricate pieces of metal for things like hospital beds and train seats often know absolutely nothing about workflow and utilization. When they hire someone who actually does know something about these things, they often spend a fair amount of the day staring at him like he's just exited a UFO in the parking lot.

90-95% of the problems I see in the hospital are from smoking and/or obesity.

I guess it depends on the job, still?

I've spent a lot of time around hospitals lately, getting my badly-broken finger operated on and (especially, ongoingly) rehabilitated. I bet if I asked my any of my many hand therapists what was up with their clientele, they would say "Well, their hands are very often pretty fucked up."

The plastic(!) surgeon who screwed me back together would probably say much the same thing.

The unchallengeable king of the hill would be that radio astronomy doesn't have to be done at night, or with a clear sky.

I guess it depends on the job, still?

I've spent a lot of time around hospitals lately, getting my badly-broken finger operated on and (especially, ongoingly) rehabilitated. I bet if I asked my any of my many hand therapists what was up with their clientele, they would say "Well, their hands are very often pretty fucked up."

The plastic(!) surgeon who screwed me back together would probably say much the same thing.

General run of the mill med-surg floor. In the summer it's COPD exacerbations. The rest of the time it's heart problems/complications from type 2 diabetes (wounds that won't heal for years and such)/COPD complications.

Don't eat mussels or oysters or blue crabs. Yes I know they're delicious.

Pharmaceutical compounds are highly prevalent environmental contaminants.

Manufacturer's secret #1:
Even the largest companies are in constant fear of everything. Competitors, government regulation, public opinion, you name it. I've never worked for a company (and I've worked for some big ones) that was so comfortable with its position that it thought itself invincible.

Probably 75% of the people who come to me for help don't want help; they are coming to make someone else (courts, DSS, spouse, boss, etc.) happy. My first job is to help the person recognize the things in his or her life that need to change; then I can help them to change. I have to lead them, not push them.

Back