'something the public doesn't know about your job' thread.

Manufacturer's secret #1:
Even the largest companies are in constant fear of everything. Competitors, government regulation, public opinion, you name it. I've never worked for a company (and I've worked for some big ones) that was so comfortable with its position that it thought itself invincible.

I can add to that. Something that goes along with regulation & specifications. Our company has been ISO compliant since I've been there. Not too big a deal, ISO has become a global thing. Three years ago, we got certified compliant for AS... aka aerospace. We had to go through what my boss called 'the death march of approval' to get it. In more than one instance we were sent document revisions to stuff that we never got in the first place..... Leaving the woman in charge of this blizzard of paper saying WTF is going on with you people. Now that we have it, it looks great on the wall. But I dread getting an AS spec job because it means doing loads of extra paperwork that I really need like a hole in the head. Therin lies another secret. Documentation is a nice thing as long as it doesn't affect the bottom line.

Big Oil really does want to take little bites out of your brain while you are still trying to think with it.

Much of the first part, the target finding and understanding the disease comes from basic science research at universities, govt. labs, etc., but some of it does come from pharma as well. Anyway, that part is paid for by taxes. The screening, development work, and so on, and much of the clinical trials are paid for by pharma. They don't get any government assistance in that part. I don't think they get any tax breaks, other than many get breaks for donating huge amounts of free meds to things like the world health organization. Still, I doubt that even puts a dent in their tax bill.

The process is very similar in Canada and Europe. The differences really come into play with the different regulatory agencies that approve drugs in each country. Pharmas are global mega-corporations and the clinical bits are run in parallel in several countries so the eventual approval dates are similar. The development, chem, and screening usually is done on one site. Most of these facilities are in the US, the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, and Canada. The selection of a site to run the development really depends on the scientists at each facility. If you want a heart medication, it might get developed in the cardiovascular focus unit in a New Jersey facility. If the drug is for malaria, it might go to the infectious disease research group in England.

There's one thing, though...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1363558514.335365.jpg

Teacher - We actually know what we're doing. Kids - stfu and realise that we actually like kids and want you to thrive, parents stfu and let us get on with our job even if you can't.

DJ - There's several reasons why I'm charging more than Johnny £80

After being in the Air Force and stationed in Nevada, I can tell you that sometimes the strange lights are ours. Other times, not so much.

There's one thing, though...

View attachment 6691

Imagine trying to deliver a beneficial compound that is only soluble in alcohol, and tastes worse than anything you have ever tasted. Worse than literally anything you might eat in nature. Multiply that by 1000x and you have the issue of formulation flavor. They all taste like ass, but I assure you the taste way better than the actual drug alone.

All those brands of computer stuff that you have dilemmas deciding between? They're often all made by the same one or two big companies. Sometimes they're even the exact same thing in a different enclosure.

In the car biz, our ROI (return on investment) is generally less than 5%...For every $100K (10 Hyundais, 5 Mazdas, 3 Lexusss), we are lucky to clear $110K. The house will get $3K after wages, commission, insurance, taxes, etc.

So, when you are beating down your salesman over $500...give us all a break and buy the damn car.

American oil companies make a lot less money exporting crude oil from the U.S. to other countries.

Foriegn oil producers make a fortune importing oil to the U.S.

The rest gets very political and angry and so I will just stop now. :thu:

Manufacturer's secret #1:
Even the largest companies are in constant fear of everything. Competitors, government regulation, public opinion, you name it. I've never worked for a company (and I've worked for some big ones) that was so comfortable with its position that it thought itself invincible.

I think my last company did :embarrassed:, and now that it's hit a 52-week low, there are rumors that they may offer themselves up for sale. If the recently departed CEO and COTB were smart a few years ago, they could have sold the company at a premium to a huge conglomerate who made a very generous unsolicited bid, that is known for :gasp: actually investing into the companies they buy, and not laying people off the second they take over :eek:. But, nooooo - my formr company was too proud of their history, and maintaining a 50+ year streak of increasing dividends, yadda, yadda, yadda - then the economy tanked. Oops.

Unrelated, but also see: Motorola :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No, I am not amused when you come up to me while I'm working on an ATM and ask "hey, you got any free samples?"

It only happens 2-3 times a week.

:annoyed:

When the weather is pleasant, it is not an onerous task to walk a couple of miles to an old lady's house to change a lightbulb for her. :)

That every email you send and receive, the computer geeks like me are able to read, record, and copy on the server level...

... and that on the network traffic level, we can tell what websites each computer has been going to.

... we just don't care. :helper:

We web designers/developers are not outwardly nerdy but most of us are essentially geeks whfussy abouo even work through their lunch obsessing over fonts and pixels and when we get home.... we spend our time reading about design online :embarrassed:

Also, whenever you come across a horribly designed website, 99% of the time it's due to the customer thinking owning a copy of Adobe photoshop makes them a designer.

Finally, a lot of people tend to think just because we use computers, we are qualified to fix their (self-inflicted) computer problems. :mad:

Back