'something the public doesn't know about your job' thread.

^^ Yeah, design of webpages is stuff I leave to the pros. I never quite got why people assume they are qualified to design, or influence the design, of a web page. Would the same people fix their car, or rewire their house? No. You leave that to a pro. Web design is the same thing. Let people who know what they are doing do their job. My experience has been great with those people, as I say thing like, "it would be nice if this linked to this", but layout stuff, I avoid.

Last edited:
if you are rude to me when you come into my beer store, I will shake the living shit out of your beer before I bring the case to you.
this is done at EVERY vendor I've ever worked at (and there's been quite a few)

I think the public has a pretty fair idea of the astonishing and insipid levels of bureaucracy one might find in a Federal Government program.

if you are rude to me when you come into my beer store, I will shake the living shit out of your beer before I bring the case to you.
this is done at EVERY vendor I've ever worked at (and there's been quite a few)

Wait, wait. You bring the beer to your customers? We have to go get that shit ourselves! And people are rude to you when you bring them beer? WTF is wrong with them?

Wait, wait. You bring the beer to your customers? We have to go get that shit ourselves! And people are rude to you when you bring them beer? WTF is wrong with them?

Jeremy, Canada is a different world that folks like you and I can only dream of.

yep, most vendors in these parts, you come in, say "give me a X of X, please"
I go get it outta the cooler.
I can only think of one place of the top of my head where this isn't the case.
locally-ish, I mean.

so if ya get lippy, or are generally a dick, prepare for a wet-head.

I once had to serve a guy who was a guard in the jail when I did time years back.
you can bet your ass I shook the hell outta his Coors Light or whatever.

That every email you send and receive, the computer geeks like me are able to read, record, and copy on the server level...

... and that on the network traffic level, we can tell what websites each computer has been going to.

... we just don't care. :helper:

what about my webcam feed?

If you think staying home with a kid and watching TV sounds awesome, it is! Most days.
Some days, I want to grab my kids and pretend I'm Peeker with a lippy jerks beer. :grin:
Actually I have a great appreciation for the professional moms out there. This shit is not easy and not really fun but it IS rewarding. I've turned into a bitch about a clean house though. :embarrassed:

Sent from The Nether

We manufacture Paraffin wax treatments for spas and salons.

We melt the wax using a heater pad made with a magnesium/iron alloy, which we alloy in-house. It's (as Mike Rowe would say) a dirty job.

The pad is activated by pouring in a pouch of saline solution. It instantly get to nearly 200 degrees, and melts the wax.

Thing is, this rapid heating technology can be used in lots of stuff. Lots of things that need to be portable, and heated in an instant. So we have a bunch of patents, and, since i have some ownership of the company, I'm just waiting for one of them to hit a home run.

Until then, i just try and keep our manufacturing lines running. All our machines (we make gloves and boots to hold the wax from sheet PE plastic, and of course the heater pads themselves) are home made rube goldberg affairs, scrapyard parts, and lots of orders to McMaster Carr. Which means i do a lot of very quick, very out of the box repairs on a daily basis.

American oil companies make a lot less money exporting crude oil from the U.S. to other countries.

Foriegn oil producers make a fortune importing oil to the U.S.

The rest gets very political and angry and so I will just stop now. :thu:

I'm viewing several major oil company's headquarters right now, just a few blocks away. Let's just say that "they do well". I can't complain because they have helped prevent my town from most of the recession's impact.

I'm somewhat amused to see most every night, the busy penthouse level at Exxon which holds the ever exclusive oil man's private club, The Petroleum Club of Houston.

petroleum%20club.jpg

petroleum_club_houston_texas_v133_ge_2.jpg

Petroleum%2BClub.jpg

Last edited:
It's always the network's fault.

It's up to the network vendor to certify every possible device that can be plugged in to the network.

Even when it is demonstrated that the problem lies within a device that was plugged in to the network, or in the programming of a device's code or an application running on a server or workstation, the network is still at fault.

Even when it is demonstrated that a configuration error was introduced by a human being, the network is still at fault.

Even when it is demonstrated that a concerted attack was made on the network and previous recommendations made to guard against such attacks were ignored, the network is still at fault.

When women see an ugly carpet in a house and talk about it over tea with other women, the network is at fault.

quoted for truth

UFO conspiracy theorists are a bunch of whack jobs. In fact, we have no intention of ever actually landing on, much less colonizing Earth. Our real goal is to colonize the Sun.

You have to be musically eclectic, absolutely love guitar, and be utterly fascinated by the minutia of an artist's creative process to interview everyone from Adrian Legg to Dweezil Zappa.

City workers really don't give a fuck. Though the public probably has an idear of that already.

As a City worker, I usually hear this from people who didn't get what THEY want, regardless of how ridiculous it was. I also find that most people are under the impression that All of their property taxes go to the City and therefore have not only fallen for the political dribble from the state level to reduce property tax but also believe this means that we work for them personally. I cant even count how many times I've heard "my taxes pay your salary." In reality, you pay approximately $200-$300 in taxes toward the entire City operation. In our town, you pay more for the Conty fire rescue annually than you do for the entire City operation. Go boss them around.

As a City worker, I usually hear this from people who didn't get what THEY want, regardless of how ridiculous it was. I also find that most people are under the impression that All of their property taxes go to the City and therefore have not only fallen for the political dribble from the state level to reduce property tax but also believe this means that we work for them personally. I cant even count how many times I've heard "my taxes pay your salary." In reality, you pay approximately $200-$300 in taxes toward the entire City operation. In our town, you pay more for the Conty fire rescue annually than you do for the entire City operation. Go boss them around.

Are you slacking off on my dime to post this?

I wear a suit or business casual, not robes and a pointy hat.

The main tool I use to do my job is a computer, not a crystal ball.

The majority of my clients are business people, not bored housewives with disposable income.

Back