So I briefly checked out the new 2015 Les Paul standard

Remember, this DID come from TGP. Logic and reason do not necessarily exist.

Understood, but, there really wasn't any sense in making the neck wider like this unless the nut was the factor.

That kind of change doesn't make sense. Narrowness of neck was never a complaint with LP's.
Plenty of other issues, but not that.

just think how much Gibson could charge if they did make the "improvements" everyone wanted.

Can you imagine a Gibson executive suggesting that they could charge more if they forgot about the gimmicks and just build a better guitar. I don't think Henry would tolerate that kind of subversive thinking.

My guess is that the wide fretboard is collector bait. Rich guys will buy a new LA and a new SG just for the wide neck. Then next year Gibson will just go back to the old neck width.

My guess is that the wide fretboard is collector bait. Rich guys will buy a new LA and a new SG just for the wide neck. Then next year Gibson will just go back to the old neck width.

really? do you think collectors are generally that stupid?

really? do you think collectors are generally that stupid?

Some of them definitely are. Have you seen what collectors will pay for a PRS because it’s a “Private Reserve”? Some guitar collectors are just as stupid as the guys who pay hundreds of dollars for bottles of bad Tuscan wines because “only” 300 cases were produced and they start at $350 a bottle. These guys will definitely buy wide-neck Gibsons just to have them.

Some of them definitely are. Have you seen what collectors will pay for a PRS because it’s a “Private Reserve”? Some guitar collectors are just as stupid as the guys who pay hundreds of dollars for bottles of bad Tuscan wines because “only” 300 cases were produced and they start at $350 a bottle. These guys will definitely buy wide-neck Gibsons just to have them.

you're probably right. stupid collectors are stupid.

I'll stick with Heritage.

i must have had really bad luck with heritage guitars over the years. every one i've tried has been fairly uninspiring. dull pickups, heavy overall weight, noisy electronics are the general culprits. a couple had some issues with the binding (poor installation). one had poorly cut control cavity covers (generally misaligned with odd gaps - some might argue a minor cosmetic issue only). i've never owned one for all these reasons. they're reasonably priced, and if i found one that wasn't a dud, then i'd probably buy it, but i haven't found one yet that played or sounded good enough to justify the purchase. still, i'll maintain an open mind and keep playing the ones i come across. it's possible i just haven't found "the one".

i must have had really bad luck with heritage guitars over the years. every one i've tried has been fairly uninspiring. dull pickups, heavy overall weight, noisy electronics are the general culprits. a couple had some issues with the binding (poor installation). one had poorly cut control cavity covers (generally misaligned with odd gaps - some might argue a minor cosmetic issue only). i've never owned one for all these reasons. they're reasonably priced, and if i found one that wasn't a dud, then i'd probably buy it, but i haven't found one yet that played or sounded good enough to justify the purchase. still, i'll maintain an open mind and keep playing the ones i come across. it's possible i just haven't found "the one".
Actually really surprised by this. I've owned several and they were consistently great guitars. In most cases, the weight was the reason I sold. So I'm with you there. But other than that (and of course that's a positive for some), Ive been very impressed.

Actually really surprised by this. I've owned several and they were consistently great guitars. In most cases, the weight was the reason I sold. So I'm with you there. But other than that (and of course that's a positive for some), Ive been very impressed.

truth. i will keep checking them out, so it's no absolute condemnation, but it's been a slow start. maybe it's the stuff i'm seeing in the local used market (people are selling for a reason, right?)?

truth. i will keep checking them out, so it's no absolute condemnation, but it's been a slow start. maybe it's the stuff i'm seeing in the local used market (people are selling for a reason, right?)?
Oh yeah, for sure. And I wasn't knocking your impression. My experience has just been better to date.

A hologram foil bag with a Rob Liefeld "drawing" of Cable on the cover, you say? Don't mind if I do!

Back