So I briefly checked out the new 2015 Les Paul standard

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
When I was at Guitar Center yesterday my sales rep and I started talking about the new Lea pauls

He picked one off the shelf and handled it to me. The mini tune and hologram weren't bad at all. I thought that would be by sores but you couldn't even see them from the front. And even when you look at them from the back it wasn't as bad as what I thought it would look like

However the wider neck just killed me. It was almost as wide as putting a seven string. Seriously it was that wide. There's no way in hell I would ever consider buying one of these guitars.

Plus, $3500 for a LP standard is nuts

There certainly is a lot going on with these... I wonder just how much I can cut & paste here :wink:
Change Finish
Share Buy
Les Paul Standard 2015
Super action and easy bending
PPLogo_GibsonUSA.jpg

Vanguards of
Innovation
LPS15H3CH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Starting At$3,759MAP
Featuring theGibson
Gforce_logo_lg.jpg
Tuning System
The most versatile Standard yet, with a superbly comfortable asymmetrical neck profile and easy–bending compound radius 'board.
LPS15H3CH1_CALLOUT_HERO.jpg
LPS15H3CH1_NF_01.jpg
Gibson G FORCE™ Building on eight years of continuous development, G FORCE extends the innovations introduced in Min-ETune by including new firmware that greatly improves ease of use. Combined with increased speed and accuracy, G FORCE provides the best and simplest user experience yet in an automatic tuning system.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_02.jpg
Zero Fret Adjustable Nut (patent applied for) The patent applied for Zero Fret Adjustable Nut increases sustain, promotes accurate intonation, and improves action by offering a wide, range of nut adjustments. Slide guitarists can raise and lower action easily.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_03.jpg
Upgraded Tune-O-Matic Bridge with Titanium Saddles An Allen wrench-compatible thumbscrew easily adjusts the bridge height, and specially notched titanium saddles match each string so notes ring more clearly and sustain longer.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_04.jpg
Wider Neck and Fingerboard A wider neck and fingerboard increase playing comfort for hammer-ons, pull-offs, and bends, yet the same string spacing retains a familiar, consistent feel.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_05.jpg
Comprehensive Wood Selection Gibson USA matches the rarest and finest woods to every guitar based on the quality of the match, consistency of the figure, intensity of the figure, clarity, and wave.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_06.jpg
Thicker Rosewood Fingerboard The increased mass of a thicker, one-piece rosewood fingerboard extends sustain.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_07.jpg
Pearl Inlays Genuine pearl inlays enhance the guitar's appearance and increase its value.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_08.jpg
Smoother Sanded, Buffed and Oiled Fingerboard A new, unique oil-treated buffing process upgrades the fingerboard to a silkier feel.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_09.jpg
Comprehensive Setup A new comprehensive setup and PLEK program combined with a lower fret height on every Gibson USA 2015 Model Year guitar provides a silky smooth feel, accurate intonation, and easy bending.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_10.jpg
Improved Output Jack The re-designed jack houses a more secure, multipoint connection for better signal transfer and holds cables more firmly in place.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_11.jpg
Heavier Gauge Wire All Gibson USA guitars now use thicker, stranded wire that provides more surface area for making strong internal connections.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_12.jpg
Removable Pickguard With or without pickguard, the choice is yours.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_13.jpg
Les Paul's 100th Anniversary Gibson is proud to honor the creative genius who not only invented the most iconic guitar ever, but pioneered home and multitrack recording for all musicians. Gibson USA is dedicated to continuing his legacy of innovation.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_14.jpg
Les Paul Hologram This unique hologram verifies the authenticity of the 2015 Model Year guitars, while paying tribute to the man whose is synonymous with the most coveted guitar in the world.
LPS15H3CH1_NF_15.jpg
New and Improved Hardshell Case The new and improved hardshell case for 2015 upgrades the look and strength. Made to withstand an up to 15-foot drop (up to four times more resistant to drops than other cases), the tough, ergonomic, molded exterior and cushioned interior provide maximum protection as well as insulation from temperature and humidity extremes.

New and Improved in 2015
  • Gibson G FORCE™ Tuning System: Faster, more accurate, additional tunings
  • Zero Fret Adjustable Nut (patent applied for): Added action adjustment
  • Upgraded Tune–o–matic bridge with titanium saddles: Ease of height adjustment and sustain
  • Wider neck and fingerboard: Increased playing area with same string spacing
  • Comprehensive wood selection and grading: Rarest and finest materials for best instruments
  • Thicker Rosewood Fingerboard: Increased mass for sustain
  • Pearl Inlays: Uniquely beautiful appearance
  • Smoother sanded, buffed and oiled fingerboard: Improved playability and feel
  • Comprehensive Point Setup (Lower Frets, Improved Plek, Intonation): Silky smooth action and bending, improved intonation
  • Improved contact output jack: Secure contact and uninterrupted signal
  • More robust cables: Stronger signal strength
  • Removable Pickguard: Choice with no holes in body
  • Les Paul 100th birthday signature: Honoring a genius with a facsimile of his actual signature taken from a pickguard autographed by Les.
  • Les Paul Hologram: Authenticity and tribute
  • New & Improved Hardshell Case: Improved protection (up to 15 foot drop), sleek, ergonomic, made in USA

Body
LPS15H3CH1_BODY_FRONT_BACK.jpg

AA Grade Maple with Cream Binding

Back
Ultra Low Density Mahogany

Wood Species: Maple
Pieces: 2
Grade: AA
Binding: Cream
Back
Wood Species: Mahogany
Pieces: 2
Density: Ultra Low
Binding: None
Weight
Weight Relief: Modern
Average Weight (body only): 2.49 kg / 5.5 lbs
Materials Used
Glue: Franklin Titebond 50
Tonal, Resonant, and/or Technical Effect: The modern weight relief removes more mahogany but retains the resonance
Body Contour
Carve: Enhanced

When I was at Guitar Center yesterday my sales rep and I started talking about the new Lea pauls

He picked one off the shelf and handled it to me. The mini tune and hologram weren't bad at all. I thought that would be by sores but you couldn't even see them from the front. And even when you look at them from the back it wasn't as bad as what I thought it would look like

However the wider neck just killed me. It was almost as wide as putting a seven string. Seriously it was that wide. There's no way in hell I would ever consider buying one of these guitars.

Plus, $3500 for a LP standard is nuts
Sores? Are antibiotics required?

Oh! Eyesores!

i don't understand the "enhancements" that have been made. i will try one the next time i'm at GC to determine for myself, but that wider neck sounds like a truly pointless move - a solution to a problem that never existed.

I tried a couple out, and that wide fretboard just kills the whole damn guitar.

From the early indications in talking to people at various stores, the 2015 Les Pauls are going to go down in history as one of Gibson's biggest failures mainly due to the wider necks/fretboards. Frankly, even a year-end blowout isn't going attract anyone on the fence, IMO.

Gibson has made some strange decisions over the last few years - some good, such as streamlining their 2015 offerings, including HSCs with all LP models, and no satin finishes, but I can't fathom what kind of thinking went into the fretboard decision. I guaran-damn-tee that the 2016s will revert back to a "normal" width.

I tried a couple out, and that wide fretboard just kills the whole damn guitar.

From the early indications in talking to people at various stores, the 2015 Les Pauls are going to go down in history as one of Gibson's biggest failures mainly due to the wider necks/fretboards. Frankly, even a year-end blowout isn't going attract anyone on the fence, IMO.

Gibson has made some strange decisions over the last few years - some good, such as streamlining their 2015 offerings, including HSCs with all LP models, and no satin finishes, but I can't fathom what kind of thinking went into the fretboard decision. I guaran-damn-tee that the 2016s will revert back to a "normal" width.

One bit of speculation on TGP is the adjustable nut is too wide, so instead of scrapping them, Gibson modified the neck width to compensate. I'm not sure I buy that theory, but it's out there.

Gibson can't even do a proper Plek job. Either that or the frets are wonky :facepalm:

LPS15H3CH1_NF_09.jpg

Comprehensive Wood Selection Gibson USA matches the rarest and finest woods to every guitar based on the quality of the match, consistency of the figure, intensity of the figure, clarity, and wave

Since when is moderately flamed maple a 'rare' wood :facepalm:

and... No ebony :lol:

Gibson can't even do a proper Plek job. Either that or the frets are wonky :facepalm:

LPS15H3CH1_NF_09.jpg

In fairness, I think that pic illustrates the before and after differences between the fretwire they are using (left side is the 2015 version...? ).

Wow, that is an interesting theory. I can't imagine that story is true. Even Gibson couldn't do something that stupid. Well, maybe they can, as they decided to widen the neck of their guitars across the entire darn lineup for no logical reason. I have never, ever heard anyone complain about the width of a Gibson fretboard. I also have not heard anyone asking for an adjustable nut or a zero fret. The decisions to add these things just seems nuts.

Dear Henry, please stop trying to add high tech ideas to a 60 year old guitar design. Maybe try making the best instruments you can. LPs need decent wood and good workmanship, not robots, wizbang nuts, circuit boards, and other crap. Increase the quality and adjust pricing to something more in line with the rest of the market and you will increase sales. Blinking lights and fad trends are not going to do it.

Last edited:
Wow, that is an interesting theory. I can't imagine that story is true. Even Gibson couldn't do something that stupid. Well, maybe they can, as they decided to widen the neck of their guitars across the entire darn lineup for no logical reason. I have never, ever heard anyone complain about the width of a Gibson fretboard. I also have not heard anyone asking for an adjustable nut or a zero fret. The decisions to add these things just seems nuts.

That would be ridiculous if true.

Remember, this DID come from TGP. Logic and reason do not necessarily exist.

I like the idea of an adjustable nut, at least in theory.

Seems like if they were too wide they could've been filed down on the ends, especially if the string spacing isn't any different than the old models.

i don't understand the "enhancements" that have been made. i will try one the next time i'm at GC to determine for myself, but that wider neck sounds like a truly pointless move - a solution to a problem that never existed.

The only thing I can think of is Gibson figured that if they were going to increase prices by close to 30% they'd better do something to make us believe they had done "improvements" that warranted the price hike even if no one needed or wanted them.

The only thing I can think of is Gibson figured that if they were going to increase prices by close to 30% they'd better do something to make us believe they had done "improvements" that warranted the price hike even if no one needed or wanted them.

just think how much Gibson could charge if they did make the "improvements" everyone wanted.

Back