So I briefly checked out the new 2015 Les Paul standard

One bit of speculation on TGP is the adjustable nut is too wide, so instead of scrapping them, Gibson modified the neck width to compensate. I'm not sure I buy that theory, but it's out there.

I doubt Gibson's manufacturing process would permit them to just say, 'screw it, let's make the neck wider' with no other cost impact

I tried one of the new SGs, and had the same feeling. I hate this new wide neck. It felt awful in my hands, like a Schecter or something. It also felt and looked cheap, close up. Hated it.
177072.jpg

I like a bit wider necks. I may need to play one just to see how it feels. No way in heck I would buy a new Gibson when they are now in custom build pricing territory.

I doubt Gibson's manufacturing process would permit them to just say, 'screw it, let's make the neck wider' with no other cost impact
As a manufacturing engineer, I agree. If the nuts were indeed too wide, it would be a fairly simple matter to rework them so they fit. Making the neck wider is a monumentally more expensive proposition. I don't think even Gibson is that stupid. At least their bean counters aren't.

I tried out a Les Paul Deluxe at Guitar Center the other day. Everything was really great about it, except the neck is so damn huge. I even like the R8 necks but these wide ones... I don't understand how most people can wrap their hands around them.

Wide fat necks are great if you have long fingers.
I have moderately long fingers and that's why I like the r8 necks... because I can tuck the back of the neck between my thumb and fingers. But these seem thinner but with a wider profile, that you can't really grip the same way comfortably. Unless you play it like a classical guitar with your thumb against the back of the neck, I don't see how the majority of guitar players can play these comfortably.

Just because everyone is wrong doesn't make that wrong right. I mean, unless you enjoy hand pain.
That's not my main source of hand pain. But how do you do rock/blues vibrato or bending with a classical thumb position? (Leaving aside the Hendrix thumb-fretting technique.)

Boy, I've resisted picking up one of these to try out but now I have to check it out. Widened the neck? Now I like a slightly wider neck but not too wide (the aircraft carrier-like 8-string necks are too wide even for me for the most part). Weird.

By bending the string with your fingers.
Is there video evidence of this happening in the wild?

I have small fingers and a wide fat neck, so I have had to discuss orthodoxy with my thumb.

There's no way I can do a tone bend with vibrato without hooking the thumb over. If anyone really does, I'm all eyes.

Is there video evidence of this happening in the wild?

I have small fingers and a wide fat neck, so I have had to discuss orthodoxy with my thumb.

There's no way I can do a tone bend with vibrato without hooking the thumb over. If anyone really does, I'm all eyes.

:Wave:

I don't have any video of it, but I never wrap my thumb up around the neck when I'm bending, or playing lead. I'm guilty of occasionally doing it with open chords, but that's only because I use my thumb to walk the bass. Otherwise thumb is in classical position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back