post your favorite acoustic...

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
So a few years ago, I bought a Taylor 314ce... it played great and sounded fine plugged in, but unplugged, it sounded thin. Since I wasn't playing out anymore and didn't ever find myself where I was plugged in, it left me wanting more in regards to tone.

I sold it and started looking for an acoustic that had a fuller tone when unplugged. @micwalt always praised Alvarez guitars and the few that I had played in the past sounded great. I decided to give this model a shot...

AG75CE-Front-3_4.png

AG75CE-Back-3_4.png

KEY FEATURES
Series Alvarez Artist
Top Wood Solid A+ Western Red Cedar
Back & Sides Wood Rosewood
Shape Grand Auditorium
Neck Mahogany
Bracing System FST2M - Forward Shifted, Scalloped X
Bridge Bi-Level Rosewood
Inlays Abalone & Mother of Pearl
Fingerboard Rosewood
Headstock Plate Rosewood
Nut & Saddle Real Bone
Tuner Premium Die Cast
Binding Ivory ABS
Strings D’Addario EXP

I ordered one and never looked back... right out of the box, it played effortlessly and sounded fantastic. Very full bodied tone and had a lot of great features. Plus, it was 1/3rd the cost of the Taylor!!!

how about you?

This one. My favorite sound is the rosewood/spruce Martin sound. Again, a Neil Young influence. I had long lusted for an HD-28 or better, to capture that sound. This SPD-16TR, with a little bit of D45 type bling, and snowflake fret markers, gives me that sound, and completely killed any further acoustic GAS for me, unless it would be to get a smaller body guitar at some point. But really no motivation and rush to do that. Pics at link.

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/fo...stop-buying-guitars.79144/page-3#post-1351469

Mine or any?

I have two excellent sounding and playing Taks that have different sounds due to recipe and body shape (NEX with Spruce top and koa B&S, their "original OM" shape with Cedar top and RW B&S), but those are steel string 6-stringers. My La Patrie Concert CW is a nylon string that also sounds great and plays better than any nylon string I've had the pleasure to mess with. Then I have Morgan Monroe short scale mini-jumbo bodied 12-string. So we're talking about considerably different sounds/flavors.

None of the following are pics on my actual guitars, but these are the same models and look just like them.

Pics:
studio-still-life-of-a-1997-takamine-santa-fe-limited-edition-model-picture-id103630708

Tak 1997 LTD
Sounds HUGE.

takamine-ean55c-66018.jpg

EAN55C
Not a big sounding, but maybe more complex. I think of it as a my poorman's Lowden.

gtrconcertcw.jpg

La Patrie Concert CW.
Super sweet and ridiculously easy to play. Still getting comfortable with this one.

morganmonroe-mmv12ce-travel.jpg

Morgan Monroe MMV 12CE
Snappy and bright. Not as full sounding as a regular 12-string (not surprising) and spends most of it's time in alternate tunings, usually incorporating a few fifths.

I wish the Taks had wider nuts (their at 1 5/8 or 1 11/16, but would prefer 1 3/4). It wold cool if the La Patrie had 20 frets. And the 12-string needs some adjusting and/or work as the action and playability on the upper frets leaves something to be desired. This is all just nitpicking though as I enjoy playing all of them. Every time I pick one up I'm confused why I don't play it more often...

Last edited:
this is the only pic i have of it.
3310889756_dfaa0c08af_o.jpg

Yamaha CJ-12. (discontinued, except in canada, i think)
spruce top, agathis back & sides, mahogany neck, rosewood board, rosewood mustache bridge, cream binding, grover tuners....basically Yamaha's take on the Gibson J-200.
loudest acoustic i've ever heard. i've played a number of real J-200's and a few D-45's and D-41's and it holds it's own.

i've had a number of friends talk me into bringing it to various recording studios so they could lay down acoustic tracks with it.
at the one studio, the owner set up the mic about 2 feet from the guitar and it was blowing the mic away. he ended up with a room mic on the other side of the 10'x10' isolation booth.
the recording was awesome. i should start charging a rental fee for the thing.

http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/guitars-basses/cj12/?mode=model

For smaller bodied acoustics I love my Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

GS_MINI_E_KOA_ES2.jpg

I miss my Gibson J-35, and also my J-15 (I had to sell both to raise money). I'd take either of the two if I had the cash. Unlike Martins, Gibson acoustics have a nice, barking sound to them.

My old J-15
Gibson%20J-15%20-%20Oct.%2017%202015_zpshfel96wj.jpg

My old J-35
MyJ-35-Dec312014_zps26c77171.jpg

In terms of what I own, the Martin D17 I won this summer is far and away the best acoustic I've ever owned.

In terms of other acoustics I've played, I love feel and the tone of my buddy's D28 which I used to record all the rhythm tracks on my recent record

Back