post your favorite acoustic...

It's definitely a great guitar.
Flawlessly built, great wood & has some nice appointments with out being blingy. Sounds fantastic...big and punchy with lots of note separation/clarity
We had a store here locally got used to sell them when the store is still existed. The Rosewood and Spruce model was very tempting to me, though I could not afford it at the time. I really liked the finish on the fretboard and the color of the stain is used on the woods. Very elegant without bling as you say.

I do love my Alvarezes. However, I was at the Taylor factory last year and played many guitars in the showroom. The 510ce was magic! I've been gassing ever since.
H79717.jpg

We had a store here locally got used to sell them when the store is still existed. The Rosewood and Spruce model was very tempting to me, though I could not afford it at the time. I really liked the finish on the fretboard and the color of the stain is used on the woods. Very elegant without bling as you say.

yeah, I couldn't find any locally either and had to get this one from a dealer in NY. I had a good long conversation or two with them where we talked about exactly what I was looking for and they were sure this one fit the bill. They had a good return policy so I figured why not..... it was exactly what we discussed.

yeah, I couldn't find any locally either and had to get this one from a dealer in NY. I had a good long conversation or two with them where we talked about exactly what I was looking for and they were sure this one fit the bill. They had a good return policy so I figured why not..... it was exactly what we discussed.
Cool. that was how I got my Martin, from a place called Dream Guitars.

Here is the promo vid that hooked me. I talked to them quite a bit, and they had a great return policy also. It arrived as described and has been perfect for me. It is mis-labeled as a 2006, when it is truly a '96.

And the full ad they still have archived.
http://www.dreamguitars.com/sold-guitars/2077-martin_spd16tr_581077/

Sorry to mess up our discussion of your guitar with spam about mine. But, I obtained mine in a similar way, and I just can't help it sometimes. :wink:

The best acoustic I've ever played was a J-45 that my brother rented for me for a week while I was visiting. But then there are a lot of good guitars I have never played (I'd love to try a Santa Cruz for more than a few minutes but they are expensive and the wait is something like a year so I've heard).

But after the refret mine plays ok so I'll stick with it.

What are your thoughts on it now that you've lived with it for a while?

Tonally it kicks ass. The really wide neck is still an issue. It will do until I have the cash to replace it with a truly great acoustic. The sound is more than good enough to compensate for the neck for now.

The only acoustic I own is my Takamine EG561C. I bought it about 10 yrs ago. It suffered a broken headstock and sat in it's case for about a year waiting for me to bring it to my luthier for repairs. Tonally it always sounded balanced, with more midrange and top end than bass. When I picked it up at the luthier, he told me that he put light gauge strings on it and also said it would sound a lot thinner because of it. Then I remembered something somebody posted here about changing strings. I'd been using Daddario lights on it for a few years. I had been out trying different Taylors and fell into a hard state of GAS for a 314 CE. No $$ to buy one ....means I didn't take it home. Thing is, they had a couple secondhand Yamahas up on the wall all with different strings. I tried them all, and found that the best sounding one had these new-ish Martin 'vintage' strings on it. So I bought a set and put 'em on my Takamine. No word of a lie, they sounded okay afterwards. But given a couple days to stretch out, they sound damned incredible on the guitar. I may have cured my GAS at least for a little while.

c-f-martin-acoustic-guitar-monel-vintage-tone-011-052-mm11-15.gif

`
IMG_0695.jpg

I tried those Retro string on the Epiphone but eventually didn't like the sound; not enough bass on the top strings. I'm getting ready to go back to the phosphor/bronze on that. I think the Epi doesn't have as good a bass tone to begin with.

Of the 4 I have this is the one I play the most. I've played it pretty hard over the last 15 years to the point where I've started to dig pieces of wood out of it. It's my friend.
Is that a Martin? Looks like it but I cannot tell for sure. What is it? Looks nice.

I have this really nice Takamine EF440scgn guitar I bought a few years ago. Solid wood, made in japan, satin finish, red cedar on mahogany. It plays really well and sounds fantastic both plugged in an unplugged.

10761-desktop.jpg

Is that a Martin? Looks like it but I cannot tell for sure. What is it? Looks nice.
15 years ago it was a $75 Fender DG7; guess it still is. I'd say it's the best one they ever made. The times I've played it out, it has also fooled several by the way it sounds. Simply a freaky cheap guitar.

Last edited:
1382423_593093364089064_614445886_n.jpg

This wandered into the music school a couple of years ago and I couldn't resist. It's a 3/4 sized Stella H927 by Harmony made in the fall of 1970. It was apparently owned by a young girl named Judith A. Parker who painted her name into the back and marked up the tuners. The name was removed, but you can still see where the finish bubbled up, and the outline of the paint (likely nail polish). Jude missed out on a killer slide guitar. It's a cannon in open G.

Here's mine:
e9860a9eae1beef8b31a2a53d5d8e448.jpg

Taylor 516CE Fall Limited
Not the best pic but...

It's a really loud guitar but extremely clear tonally. I really should play it more often as it sounds unbelievable but I've been playing a lot of electric lately.

The best acoustic I've ever played was a J-45 that my brother rented for me for a week while I was visiting. But then there are a lot of good guitars I have never played (I'd love to try a Santa Cruz for more than a few minutes but they are expensive and the wait is something like a year so I've heard).

But after the refret mine plays ok so I'll stick with it.

There's probably a waiting list on a custom Santa Cruz, but Artisan and Willcutt both generally have a handful in stock, as well as other high-end acoustic shops.

When I bought my Collings there was a used 2013 Santa Cruz OM at Artisan that made the decision VERY difficult.

Picture004.jpg

I bought this guitar and was lukewarm about it. It was a better electric than acoustic, but most J-160 types are. Then I got rid of the strings, I hate PB, and put Martin Silk and Steel on it. What a difference! Played it a lot. Then this came into the house and the EJ-160 became a wall hanger.

b41acaea-3663-448d-abe8-09cdc0573b61_zpsxpr8o04k.jpg

Back