What was the guitar that made you stop buying guitars?

I won't say never. I don't have a Strat or anything that will give me that Strat sound. Maybe sometime in the future I might want a 7-string.

But for just a 'regular' 6-string electric, I think I'm set now after buying this:

It might just be 'the one', if I had to choose to keep one guitar and get rid of the rest, this DC150/160 Koa might just be it.

I'm not 100% in love with the pickups in it, thinking about perhaps putting something else in it. But playability-wise, it's the bees knees :)

I won't say never. I don't have a Strat or anything that will give me that Strat sound. Maybe sometime in the future I might want a 7-string.

But for just a 'regular' 6-string electric, I think I'm set now after buying this:

It might just be 'the one', if I had to choose to keep one guitar and get rid of the rest, this DC150/160 Koa might just be it.

I'm not 100% in love with the pickups in it, thinking about perhaps putting something else in it. But playability-wise, it's the bees knees :)

I have two of these! That one, I'm guessing, is a set neck, right? In 89 or so, just before they discontinued these, the Carvin Custom shop was born and a few were built neck-through. One I have is a solid koa guitar with a cap of flamed maple in vintage yellow (just the cap). The pickups are in an H-S-H configuration and there's a five-way selector, but the fretboard and the headstock are identical to yours. No pickguard, of course. The other is a solid maple guitar, neck-through, with the arrowhead-shaped headstock, dots only on the fretboard, an H-H configuration, active pickups and a Kahler (everything is black).

You might consider checking out the Carvin M22SD pickup for the bridge of that guitar, especially if you're looking for something with a bit more bite. It'll look the same (and it's period-correct), but if you've got a standard M22 in there now, it'll make a big difference. Is that a Kahler Flip-Lock string lock up at the top?

I have two of these! That one, I'm guessing, is a set neck, right? In 89 or so, just before they discontinued these, the Carvin Custom shop was born and a few were built neck-through. One I have is a solid koa guitar with a cap of flamed maple in vintage yellow (just the cap). The pickups are in an H-S-H configuration and there's a five-way selector, but the fretboard and the headstock are identical to yours. No pickguard, of course. The other is a solid maple guitar, neck-through, with the arrowhead-shaped headstock, dots only on the fretboard, an H-H configuration, active pickups and a Kahler (everything is black).

You might consider checking out the Carvin M22SD pickup for the bridge of that guitar, especially if you're looking for something with a bit more bite. It'll look the same (and it's period-correct), but if you've got a standard M22 in there now, it'll make a big difference. Is that a Kahler Flip-Lock string lock up at the top?
There isn't any locking nut on it. That gray strip you see is just a piece of plastic the guitar tech I took it to after I bought it put on there to cover up the 'hole' in the truss rod cover from not having a locking nut there.

When I bought the guitar, it had some kind of locking thingy on there I've never seen before (certainly wasn't anything made by Kahler) and even then it was just a frame…all the working pieces of the locking nut were missing (it wasn't the Kahler Flip-Lock frame, it was something odd-ball and different).

It needed fretwork (had a bunch of raised frets up around the 20th fret or so) and the electronics cleaned up as everything was very scratchy when plugged in. So I just had the guitar tech guy take the odd-ball locking thingy off while he was at it.

Anyways the guitar tech did a fantastic job, and this plays wonderfully now. I also own a 1984 Carvin DC160T, the all-curly maple one (original owner), and recently have bought a 1986 V220 in koa, both have the Kahlers. I know Kahlers have a tendency to go out of tune slightly…usually on the g-string…doing a hard string bend, but this Koa DC150 has been rock solid in that regard. I even hear very small noise coming from the bridge when I bend the B-string, but its still in tune. Not sure what the noise/ping sound is but it hasn't affected the playability/tuning at all, so I'm not worried about it.

Trying to get out of debt and fixing up the condo so we can put it on the market in a few years has reduced my GAS considerably. I have quite a few guitars up on Reverb now.

I certainly don't need another guitar, but it's not because of one in particular. I have a ridiculous collection of 10 or so. For my talent level, it's laughable really. But, I enjoy them so fuck it. I've got all the bases covered and then some.

There isn't any locking nut on it. That gray strip you see is just a piece of plastic the guitar tech I took it to after I bought it put on there to cover up the 'hole' in the truss rod cover from not having a locking nut there.

When I bought the guitar, it had some kind of locking thingy on there I've never seen before (certainly wasn't anything made by Kahler) and even then it was just a frame…all the working pieces of the locking nut were missing (it wasn't the Kahler Flip-Lock frame, it was something odd-ball and different).

It needed fretwork (had a bunch of raised frets up around the 20th fret or so) and the electronics cleaned up as everything was very scratchy when plugged in. So I just had the guitar tech guy take the odd-ball locking thingy off while he was at it.

Anyways the guitar tech did a fantastic job, and this plays wonderfully now. I also own a 1984 Carvin DC160T, the all-curly maple one (original owner), and recently have bought a 1986 V220 in koa, both have the Kahlers. I know Kahlers have a tendency to go out of tune slightly…usually on the g-string…doing a hard string bend, but this Koa DC150 has been rock solid in that regard. I even hear very small noise coming from the bridge when I bend the B-string, but its still in tune. Not sure what the noise/ping sound is but it hasn't affected the playability/tuning at all, so I'm not worried about it.

My black one has the Kahler Flip-Lock (they made other kinds of string locks, still do, but no Flip Locks). We put both of them on the PLEK machine a couple of years ago to see if we needed to do any milling, and they were dead-nuts perfect. I love the DC160 (what's the trem on that?) that's solid quilt maple. I have both an old original V220 (pearl white, MOP blocks, arrowhead headstock, coil taps and Kahler with Fliplock), which were set-necks, and a newish (reissue) V220 in Koa with a flame koa top and a tilted pointy headstock. Of the two, the old one is "better."

FWIW, there's a way to get a NEW Flip Lock from the guy who invented them (much better, btw) and there's also a kit he sells that will convert them to the proper function. I have some emails from him -- he says he still gets a little sick when he has to deal with something surrounding Kahler...

While I'm still on the lookout for certain guitars (since my Stratocaster 7 got sacrificed to the local Music Go Round, to help pay for a new car tire, to replace the one that wound up with a flat on the freeway last week, I'd like another 7-string guitar), it's nowhere near as much as it used to be, due to the fact that I have to factor in the cost of getting refretted with nickel free, and stainless steel free frets (courtesy of allergies to those two metals). I'm pretty happy with what I have now, though, while I like my Supro amp, I'm still looking for that amp that really wows me.

TBH my Epi 339 pro is all I really need right now. This guitar plays great imo.
I play through a SCXD,and with my Rat clone added I am pretty much set. One or two more dirt pedals should do it for me.

I do still have GAS.
An ASAT Classic Tribute at my local shop haunts me.
I want a good LP ( Heritage 150 ),but can't justify the cost.
I guess a Balsa wood and Spit LP will be what I'll get
I had 2 and liked them.

I also have acoustic GAS,but that's another story.

It's been over a month. I surely can't say this is the last guitar I will buy. It's cured my GAS for Jazzmasters, though!
4161DB16-7239-422B-A033-2CA19ECBE3A9.jpg

TBH my Epi 339 pro is all I really need right now. This guitar plays great imo.
I play through a SCXD,and with my Rat clone added I am pretty much set. One or two more dirt pedals should do it for me.

I do still have GAS.
An ASAT Classic Tribute at my local shop haunts me.
I want a good LP ( Heritage 150 ),but can't justify the cost.
I guess a Balsa wood and Spit LP will be what I'll get
I had 2 and liked them.

I also have acoustic GAS,but that's another story.
I'm gassing hard for an asat tribute as well. Either a classic or bluesboy. I'm leaning toward the semi-hollow bluesboy since it would be a very different guitar from anything i already own.

None. Not in the buying mood this moment, but who is to day down the line?
Re-thinking this. I will stick to my answer for electrics.
But for acoustics, my Martin SPD-16TR pretty much did it. I had been GASSING for a D-28 or HD-28 level of higher rosewood and spruce dread, and this one cured that completely, at half the cost.

4a027eb61f6f007d4a9edcdae83bbbbc.jpg

580269b529fa11757520a55baf8330bc.jpg

Last edited:
Back