What was the guitar that made you stop buying guitars?

I haven't purchased a new guitar for a couple of years -- this was my last one. It does pretty much everything I need a guitar to do.

I don't think a guitar will do that. Maybe someday I'll evolve/mature to a point where I no longer enjoy acquiring guitars, but to me it's not about finding "the one" as much as it's about trying out different ones. Kind of like being in your early '20s- some people were out specifically looking for somebody to marry, while some of us were just out to get laid. So I guess that makes me the creepy old guy at the meat market bar. Hey, whatever- there's a little hottie Ibanez over there I'm gonna try my luck with...

This concept reminds me of all these stories I heard about babies that go to sleep at 7pm and sleep straight through for 12 hours. These mythological babies may even exist for some people, but my two boys never did this. Most people I know or have met did not have these miraculous sleeping babies.

So I'm not aware of such guitars existing for most of us. I know there have been such guitars for some players, but for most of us this concept is as ridiculous.

Okay, for reals.

This guitar stopped me from buying a lot of acoustics over the years. 24 years and have yet to find it's equal or even close in my price range.

58-1375380430-8ec2f7f56e67f1a25799caa1377d82c2.jpg
58-1375380430-607b1e4ddad76204a635c249bb764c28.jpg

At 11 electrics and 3 acoustics I finally acquired all the guitars I'll ever want. The leak in my gas line has been upgrades. Finished all of those a couple of weeks ago with this one. That's it. No more guitar gas for me but for some reason that in itself just feels so wrong.

Last edited:
the turquios one on the left was bought new in 1996 and except for a Les Paul in 2008 it has been my main guitar until a year ago. i wanted a maple neck strat and i fell in love with the Jimmie Vaughn Tex Mex strats and then i got the one on the left a year ago. i would love to have a real 1957 strat....but so would everyone who loves strats.
so 3 guitars in 20 years and i haven't played the les paul in 6 years. so the JV would be, i guess, the one. even tho the '96 was the one for a very long time.

24458052532_be3314d63d_c.jpg

The LP I bought in 1978. Its capacity was and still is light-years beyond my abilities, so another guitar would be pointless.

I haven't bought a guitar since I got my benford. sure I have GAS for other stuff but nothing I really feel I need when I am playing my #1.

My Reverend Manta Ray

Because after I got it my wife said no more cop0

And because a new guitar has not made me a better player. I could argue that a good acoustic would be worthwhile since I play a lot of acoustic these days and mine is a cheap guitar but has immense sentimental value and I could never give it up. After getting it refretted a few years ago it does play much better than it use to but it will never be at the class of a Martin or something in that range

Back