OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom's best friend became a flight attendant straight out of high school in the late 60's and is still at it. You are exactly right, she took the job to see the world and get paid for it.
And taking a person like that and trying to make them into some sort of air cop seems dumb to me. The foregoing said with the utmost respect for your mom's friend. I think it is the systems, and the higher ups that build the systems, that are at fault more than the person on the line expected to do too much for too little. Besides confronting a possibly violent person, I mean who wants to kick a paying customer out of a seat so some "higher up" can take the seat?

And taking a person like that and trying to make them into some sort of air cop seems dumb to me. The foregoing said with the utmost respect for your mom's friend. I think it is the systems, and the higher ups that build the systems, that are at fault more than the person on the line expected to do too much for too little. Besides confronting a possibly violent person, I mean who wants to kick a paying customer out of a seat so some "higher up" can take the seat?

I've known my mom's friend my whole life. Her and her husband are family to us. I have spent every xmas or xmas eve with them my entire life. No way in the world would she be good as some sort of air cop. She is the most upbeat fun loving person in the world. I don't know a single person who is friendlier than her.

and that just supports my idea that REAL professionals need to be on flights to deal with issues. not thug cops. not ICE criminals. something else. people who would be armed and well trained with weapons, but also with phych degrees. people in a very tight space (tube) being told things that defy normal logic (kicking paying people off so that employees can fly free)...people tend to begin becoming defensive. everyone has a little clostrophobia in them and when things start appearing like one is being 'targeted' for no reasonable reason....they're going to react and not well.

Trump and his aides take hard line on border wall, as threat of government shutdown looms
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rnment-shutdown-looms/?utm_term=.9a9cd0c5b797

In a pair of tweets, Trump attacked Democrats for opposing the wall and insisted that Mexico would pay for it “at a later date,” despite his repeated campaign promises not including that qualifier. And top administration officials appeared on Sunday morning news shows to press for wall funding, including White House budget director Mick Mulvaney, who said Trump might refuse to sign a spending bill that does not include any.

i hope to hell he DOES refuse to sign it. then the shut down will fall squarely on his ass. and at some point the press IS gonna come after his ass with a vengence......and sooner would be better than later.

This is just going to result in the creation of yet another far right internet news network. And the infighting will be even more batshit.

That's fine. A large portion of Fox viewers either are too old to use the internet or too scared that the government uses the internet to spy on you so they stay off it. :grin:

Confederate Memorial Day
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/confederate-memorial-day_us_58fdf9fce4b0f420ad99c9e2

"Confederate Memorial Day is an assertion of white supremacy, a direct insult (intended as humiliation) to non-whites in the South, and a middle finger pointed straight at the rest of the country."

more white racist hate from the right wingnuts. i guess they just HAVE to celebrate that they at least USED to have slaves. :facepalm:

Not sure how anyone reasonable can have an issue with the residents of New Orleans deciding democratically to move some monuments around. Isn't that kinda what America is all about?

I don't think we need any statues that celebrate the officers and leaders of the Confederacy to preserve history. That is what US history books already accomplish.

If anyone suggests that these books be revised to remove this history, that is when we have a problem people should protest against.

I don't think we need any statues that celebrate the officers and leaders of the Confederacy to preserve history. That is what US history books already accomplish.

If anyone suggests that these books be revised to remove this history, that is when we have a problem people should protest against.

This is an odd issue for me. I grew up in Va and still live here. We have these statues/monuments all over the state. I'm trying to remember if I have seen one dedicated to the leaders (I am sure I have, I just can't remember off the top of my head. I know there has to be a Robert E Lee statue somewhere) but mostly the ones I remember are there to designate battlefields, which are all over the parts of the state I am in the most. I remember as a kid, my grandfather taking me to these places to teach me about the Civil War and what led up to it and why the south was wrong and why we need to remember what led up to it so it doesn't happen again. So for me, they probably have a different meaning than they do to most folks. I don't have a problem with the ones honoring the leaders of the Confederacy. I hope they don't start taking down the battlefield ones though. They are a good reminder of how bad it can get.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back