OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
photo-0605-2015-robert-kennedy.png

I found out, after my grandfather died, that when he left the navy, he worked at the pentagon. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, he led a team of code breaker and Bobby Kennedy went to his office once a week for updates.

I found out, after my grandfather died, that when he left the navy, he worked at the pentagon. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, he led a team of code breaker and Bobby Kennedy went to his office once a week for updates.

it is interesting that in 1968 that super rich white guy from Mass. had nearly every black vote in his pocket. you don't see THAT today.
he stood for something. he was sincere and wanted to bring prosperity to everyone, especially those who had never had it before.
we're a long fucking way from that....today.

I don't disagree with any of this. And believe me, I was not implying McConnel has charisma. But Obama had charisma in spades and he was able to flip some red states. It would take someone with Obama's level of charisma to get through to those people.

I don't think it was so much Obama's charisma. I think it was more that the poor and minorities identified with him and his humble beginnings, and more importantly, that he identified with them - understood them. They were therefore more motivated to get out and vote.

Let's face it: if I am poor or a minority and my choices are two old, wealthy white guys (or even an old wealthy white woman), I'm not inclined to think that either care about me, so voting seems like a waste of time.

I’m pretty sure coal mining was never a high paying job. It wasn’t like the car industry where the wages were good and the unions fought for a five day work week and benefits. About the best coal miners ever got was ending wage slavery and some worker safety concessions.
You'd be wrong. Coal miners make good money (particularly with overtime). It is hard nasty work, and not many people will do it. I have friends that were coal miners.

You also have to contrast that to whatever other jobs are available to them, which in most coal regions is nothing at all.

I don't think it was so much Obama's charisma. I think it was more that the poor and minorities identified with him and his humble beginnings, and more importantly, that he identified with them - understood them. They were therefore more motivated to get out and vote.

Let's face it: if I am poor or a minority and my choices are two old, wealthy white guys (or even an old wealthy white woman), I'm not inclined to think that either care about me, so voting seems like a waste of time.

I disagree. The African American voter turnout for Obama was not unusually high. He also beat McCain against voters with incomes above $200k as well as people with incomes of under $50k. He also benefited from 8 years of Bush. Bush had us in in a war we never should have been in and an economy that was collapsing. I had a co-worker who was a republican his whole life (and a pretty big racist). When Obama spoke at the Democratic national convention in 2004, he said if that guy ever ran for president, I'd vote for him. He was enthralled by his speech, he couldn't stop talking about it. I missed the speech and had to find it online because I had never heard of the guy. There has never been a candidate with his public speaking presence. He could have had the humblest background in the history of the world, but without the skills to deliver that story, it would have fallen flat.

I disagree. The African American voter turnout for Obama was not unusually high. He also beat McCain against voters with incomes above $200k as well as people with incomes of under $50k. He also benefited from 8 years of Bush. Bush had us in in a war we never should have been in and an economy that was collapsing. I had a co-worker who was a republican his whole life (and a pretty big racist). When Obama spoke at the Democratic national convention in 2004, he said if that guy ever ran for president, I'd vote for him. He was enthralled by his speech, he couldn't stop talking about it. I missed the speech and had to find it online because I had never heard of the guy. There has never been a candidate with his public speaking presence. He could have had the humblest background in the history of the world, but without the skills to deliver that story, it would have fallen flat.

Pres. Obama motivated a higher than average youth & minority turnout. He also received a higher percentage of the minority vote than usual for a democratic candidate, espc w/ Hispanic voters.

Reverse those trends and you have part of the issue that HRC encountered.

Milo is finding out the risks of being a provocateur without boundaries

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/20/us/politics/cpac-milo-yiannopoulos.html?_r=1

Milo Yiannopoulos’s Pedophilia Comments Cost Him CPAC Role and Book Deal
Milo Yiannopoulos, a polemical Breitbart editor and unapologetic defender of the alt-right, tested the limits of how far his provocations could go after the publication of a video in which he condones sexual relations with boys as young as 13 and laughs off the seriousness of pedophilia by Roman Catholic priests.

On Monday, the organizers of the Conservative Political Action Conference rescinded their invitation for him to speak this week. Simon & Schuster said it was canceling publication of “Dangerous” after standing by him through weeks of criticism of the deal. And Breitbart itself was reportedly reconsidering his role amid calls online for it to sever ties with him.

That is actually pretty funny. You do not have to choose a party to register to vote (although some states make you pick if you want to vote in the primaries) and your ballots are secret so there is no way they can prove you are affiliated to a party. It is another case of the republicans grasping at straws.

Here in New York, you have to sign in to vote. Then they give you a numbered form. I'm sure someone knows my votes from last year.

Here in New York, you have to sign in to vote. Then they give you a numbered form. I'm sure someone knows my votes from last year.

In VA it is different depending on which district you are in. When I lived in Charlottesville, you gave them your ID, they checked you off the list, then you stood in line for the first available touch screen machine. Where I live now, you hand the first person your ID, they check you off the list, then you go to the next person and get the ballot. I can't remember what county I was in where they had the old mechanical machines where you had to pull the lever after you made your selections. It's funny that depending on where you live in VA, your voting method can be completely different.

In VA it is different depending on which district you are in. When I lived in Charlottesville, you gave them your ID, they checked you off the list, then you stood in line for the first available touch screen machine. Where I live now, you hand the first person your ID, they check you off the list, then you go to the next person and get the ballot. I can't remember what county I was in where they had the old mechanical machines where you had to pull the lever after you made your selections. It's funny that depending on where you live in VA, your voting method can be completely different.

So where are these places where you don't have to show ID to vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back