OMG Politics, I'm over it already Mk III, The Search for Spock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess because poor people don't have to pay much in the way of capital gains tax. And it goes with the narrative that the Trump administration is having no problem cutting tax revenues while hemorrhaging cash and increasing debt like a college student with their first credit card on spring break.
more proof of a child in charge

I watched The Post last night. After it was over, I started thinking about how Daniel Ellsberg was pretty much universally considered a hero by the public for releasing the Pentagon papers to the press, but Edward Snowden is widely considered a traitor for releasing the Iraq war's equivalent of the Pentagon papers.

As much as I try to not let such things get to me, this seems very, very wrong. I'd argue that Snowden did the American public a much greater service than Ellsberg since by the time of the Pentagon papers release, the American public had already figured out that the Vietnam war was a political shit show - a complete and utter failure on the part of the US Government.

When Snowden released his classified material, the US public had no idea of the atrocities our government had committed in the Middle East. Snowden showed us that our government had routinely used torture, even after knowing it was ineffective, then lied to us about it, attempted to cover it up, then lied about the cover up.

Why isn't Snowden a hero? Is it because Ellsberg helped topple an already unpopular President Nixon, while Snowden embarrassed a popular Obama? Is it because the war in the Middle East wasn't nearly as unpopular as the Vietnam war? Did the subsequent Watergate scandal give Ellsberg more legitimacy as someone doing democracy a favor?

I know nothing about this guy, but he is a fan of one of the local radio shows and called in today. Apparently, he and his old Air Force buddies have been going to these bigfoot things for years mostly to punk the bigfoot believers. They've dressed up in costume to make people think they saw bigfoot. He actually seemed pretty funny, but I have no idea what his politics are.

Are you confusing federal taxes with state taxes? For several years now there's been no federal income tax on the profit from a home sale up to $250,000 (double that for married) provided you lived in it for two years.

prop 13 would be a state thing.
That's why I specifically stated that I'm not up to date on that. Thanks for the info.

source.gif

Yes I see that. But we used to have prop 13 that allowed us to avoid capital gains if we put the money into another house. Now that's gone.

No, it's not. Proposition 13 had zippo to do with capital gains you boob! (gratuitous abuse at no added cost) Rather, it limited the effects of reassessment of valuation of a property in a rising market to no more than 2% per year (as long as it is held by the same owner(s)), essentially limiting the effects of property tax increases. Proposition 13 is very much alive and well, as it's pretty much a "third rail" issue in California. However, one thing most people do not comprehend is that the actual result was a massive shift in property tax assessments from commercial property (which essentially NEVER change ownership - merely being shifted around through a variety of dodges) to residential property - which are reassessed every time they are sold. Thus, the property value (for tax purposes) of the residential property inventory is now much larger proportionally to that of the commercial property inventory. It was a wolf dressed in sheep's clothing, and most people are still too stupid to figure out they've been hoodwinked since 1978 into paying a much greater share of local taxes than businesses.

Is politics killing comedy? He makes some fair points. It probably is especially hard to be a stand-up comedian these days.

I watched The Post last night. After it was over, I started thinking about how Daniel Ellsberg was pretty much universally considered a hero by the public for releasing the Pentagon papers to the press, but Edward Snowden is widely considered a traitor for releasing the Iraq war's equivalent of the Pentagon papers.

As much as I try to not let such things get to me, this seems very, very wrong. I'd argue that Snowden did the American public a much greater service than Ellsberg since by the time of the Pentagon papers release, the American public had already figured out that the Vietnam war was a political shit show - a complete and utter failure on the part of the US Government.

When Snowden released his classified material, the US public had no idea of the atrocities our government had committed in the Middle East. Snowden showed us that our government had routinely used torture, even after knowing it was ineffective, then lied to us about it, attempted to cover it up, then lied about the cover up.

Why isn't Snowden a hero? Is it because Ellsberg helped topple an already unpopular President Nixon, while Snowden embarrassed a popular Obama? Is it because the war in the Middle East wasn't nearly as unpopular as the Vietnam war? Did the subsequent Watergate scandal give Ellsberg more legitimacy as someone doing democracy a favor?

Ellsberg didn’t scuttle off to Russia. Which is why a lot of folks in the establishment apparatus don’t like/trust Snowden.

Frankly neither Ellsberg nor Snowden are blameless heroes...both were willing participants in the terrible things they wound up exposing. Both dudes were at least partially self-serving. Sadly, their efforts likely haven’t amounted to any serious long-term reform.

Ellsberg has the benefit of history (boomer haigiography, the fact that Nixon sabotaged his own presidency—in part—because the Ellsberg affair drove him mad, etc.). And, yeah, wildly different contexts and public expectations re: national security.

Why isn't Snowden a hero? Is it because Ellsberg helped topple an already unpopular President Nixon, while Snowden embarrassed a popular Obama?

Definitely the Obama thing. Liberals have been happy to overlook Obama’s mass surveillance and war crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back