OMG Politics, I'm over it already Mk III, The Search for Spock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your basic college undergrad experience introduced most of us to the idea of valid and invalid news sources (before the internet for me). If anyone has had any introduction to doing basic research those issues are pretty much non-existent. Just like most professors will warn new grad students to not cite any vanity publisher books, they also do not allow citations from the internet or wikipedia. This new controversy has arisen from uneducated people who suddenly have political opinions and doesn't call into question all of the journalists from Columbia or other fine journalism schools who are toiling to gather information and write meaningful articles.

That’s probably mostly true for the liberal arts.

Fine arts degrees, business degrees, science, pharmacy, nursing, etc., not so much.

with all the different outlets of information and the different levels of actual fact in each different outlet, it's no wonder that the truth is blurred all over the place.
and the outlets run the gamut from high confidence of truthfulness to absolute utter bullshit.
http://www.allgeneralizationsarefalse.com/

Media-Bias-Chart_Version-3.1_Watermark-min.jpg

yes that's true. Although of that list I'm not worried about how fine arts people vote. Or scientists for that matter.

Yeah, the actors and dancers, I’m not worried about either.

You’re probably right about professional scientists, but I’m not entirely sure about the people with B.Sc. degrees who are working at the drug stores, hospitals, high schools, health and food safety, etc.

The only problem with that is that it omits the worst sourcing of 'news', the blog daisy chain / circle jerk. Look at any conspiracy theory, be it pizzagate or birthershit, and when you start googling, it all leads back to blogs quoting blogs. There is a significant portion of the right who equate blog posts with valid journalism. This needs to be included in the chart.

I keep emphasizing that the bell curve keeps moving right out of necessity, and that’s a distortion. Any publication with killer fact-checking, solid journalism, and intense analysis will fairly describe Trump as a pathological liar, and will thus be labeled as “hyper-partisan liberal.”

It also fails to distinguish between the hard copy and online versions of some of those publications. It is my opinion that the world's worst writers and editing processes are those for the online versions of otherwise trustworthy publications. They have completely different standards and if the grammar checking is visibly inferior then I've got to assume the fact checking is also.

I was wondering why The New Republic was so low on the list, having a long reputation of coming from one side but not skewing facts. Their editor was the moderator of William F. Buckley Jr's regular televised debates. But the low ranking must come from their online edition.

Reactions: Tig
The only problem with that is that it omits the worst sourcing of 'news', the blog daisy chain / circle jerk. Look at any conspiracy theory, be it pizzagate or birthershit, and when you start googling, it all leads back to blogs quoting blogs. There is a significant portion of the right who equate blog posts with valid journalism. This needs to be included in the chart.

the problem is, those are so far right that they wouldn't fit on the page!!
:)o

Pew study finds Americans can’t tell fact from opinion
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/392870-pew-study-finds-americans-cant-tell-fact-from-opinion

This is true of both the left and right, which should be no surprise to anyone these days.

I blame the media - particularly the broadcast media - for this. Nowadays, I see thinly-veiled advertisements for the latest Disney movie on ABC local and national news broadcasts being presented as news, and all of the networks manage to bring "stories" about the latest program airing on that station into what used to be a sacrosanct hour free from self-promotion. The line has become blurred, because there was/is money to be made.

That’s probably mostly true for the liberal arts.

Fine arts degrees, business degrees, science, pharmacy, nursing, etc., not so much.
I’m taking a general education course right now o called “Digital Media Literacy” which is available to all students and is not only about how digital media works but on how to “crap detect” (an actual chapter in the textbook) and how the various internet providers that we use alter what we see based on our online habits. It should be a state requirement, just like my American Government 100 class was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back