NFL 2014 Season

This is a tough one. I get what you are saying, but on the other hand, no one put a gun to his head and forced him to play in the NFL. He could have spent his time in college getting a degree and entering the workforce making 40k per year like everyone else. Instead he makes millions and has to answer a few questions for the media or pay a fine. If it were me, I'd take the millions, and answer a few questions.
If you didn't do so yet, watch the video I posted and see if it changes your comments. I think there was pretty good irony pointed out in that little skit.

also I think there is no real choice with regard to signing the boilerplate in the contract if one wants to play the game and that is one's lifelong passion. Therefore it would be what in contract law we would call an "adhesion" contract which means that there is no bargaining power to remove a particular clause in your contract. Sure you can just give up on your life's dream for a career, but I'm not so sure that is the sort of choice we are looking for in this country.

I've always had a problem with players being forced to talk to the media. If they had a bad game,or their team got man handled,or a ref blew a call-they're more than likely going to say something that will get them fined. So it's a must to talk to the media but it better be what we want you to say. I just don't get it

^ yup. You sure didn't see the player's union fighting the fine. I think Lynch was being a dick.

I've always had a problem with players being forced to talk to the media. If they had a bad game,or their team got man handled,or a ref blew a call-they're more than likely going to say something that will get them fined. So it's a must to talk to the media but it better be what we want you to say. I just don't get it

These are grown men making millions of dollars. If they can't control their emotions after a game, they really need to seek out Gary Blanchard for some anger management classes.

These are grown men making millions of dollars. If they can't control their emotions after a game, they really need to seek out Gary Blanchard for some anger management classes.
Yeah, I agree with you, ideally. And grown men did historically. Steve Largent, and his stoic dropping the ball casually in the end zone after great receptions is one example of the style I am more comfortable with. But there are cultural issues at play there too. And this world is rarely ideal. And though I am a grown man, I don't always control my emotions well, and am not sure I would if I had just been in a very physical battle. Fight/Flight hormones are strong drugs. I know enough about myself that when not too long ago a careless skier blasted into one of the kids I was coaching and wanted to ski off to his power lunch, I had another instructor hold him for the authorities rather than talk to him myself. I did not trust myself in that circumstance. For that reason, I think the reporters should not be allowed to stick cameras and microphones in athletes' faces as they come off the field of battle.

This is a bit far removed from giving interviews later, and whether that should be "required" by contract or not. I still think in this country, whether you are paid a lot or not, for whatever job (unless it is public speaking) one should not be required to say or not say anything. Get paid to do the job on the field, then get to go home if you want. Plenty of others will talk to the press if they want to. But that is just my opinion.

Yeah, I agree with you, ideally. And grown men did historically. Steve Largent, and his stoic dropping the ball casually in the end zone after great receptions is one example of the style I am more comfortable with. But there are cultural issues at play there too. And this world is rarely ideal. And though I am a grown man, I don't always control my emotions well, and am not sure I would if I had just been in a very physical battle. Fight/Flight hormones are strong drugs. I know enough about myself that when not too long ago a careless skier blasted into one of the kids I was coaching and wanted to ski off to his power lunch, I had another instructor hold him for the authorities rather than talk to him myself. I did not trust myself in that circumstance. For that reason, I think the reporters should not be allowed to stick cameras and microphones in athletes' faces as they come off the field of battle.

This is a bit far removed from giving interviews later, and whether that should be "required" by contract or not. I still think in this country, whether you are paid a lot or not, for whatever job (unless it is public speaking) one should not be required to say or not say anything. Get paid to do the job on the field, then get to go home if you want. Plenty of others will talk to the press if they want to. But that is just my opinion.

I guess the part where we disagree is that for whatever reason, the NFL thinks players should have to talk to the media, or they buy their way out of it, via a fine. The players association (the players union) also agrees with it, or they wouldn't have allowed it into the collective bargaining agreement. So both sides agreed to it, therefore it is part of the players duty for their job. I feel if you don't do your job, then you either lose it, or get penalized for it and when the time comes for the next collective bargaining agreement make sure you get that out of the contracts. there are parts of my job that I don't like doing, but it is part of my job so I do them. No job is 100% ideal.

And I don't know if you know this, but the players don't have to answer the questions given to them. After the loss to the Bucs, at RG3's press conference, no matter what the reporters asked, his answer was, we are focused on the 49ers. So if you don't want to do the press, just hire someone to write a line for you to say to every question. You do that enough times and the reporters will no longer want to interview you.

At the Redskins Rally Saturday night in San Fran with 1991 SuperBowl MVP Mark Rypien, just hours before seeing the Drive-By Truckers at the Fillmore. Was I drunk? Yes, yes I was…and I was awesome!

10428588_1523204061285163_937861856504990921_n.jpg

I guess the part where we disagree is that for whatever reason, the NFL thinks players should have to talk to the media, or they buy their way out of it, via a fine. The players association (the players union) also agrees with it, or they wouldn't have allowed it into the collective bargaining agreement. So both sides agreed to it, therefore it is part of the players duty for their job. I feel if you don't do your job, then you either lose it, or get penalized for it and when the time comes for the next collective bargaining agreement make sure you get that out of the contracts. there are parts of my job that I don't like doing, but it is part of my job so I do them. No job is 100% ideal.

And I don't know if you know this, but the players don't have to answer the questions given to them. After the loss to the Bucs, at RG3's press conference, no matter what the reporters asked, his answer was, we are focused on the 49ers. So if you don't want to do the press, just hire someone to write a line for you to say to every question. You do that enough times and the reporters will no longer want to interview you.

Re: paragraph one, I was thinking about that yesterday, that rather than traditional contract, this is a collective bargaining situation. So I take your point. I, personally as an individual would have a hard time with that sort of provision in a contract I had really no choice not to sign if I wanted to play though. I guess that is the problem with collective bargaining. Collective bargaining is necessary for other reasons though, and therefore I take your point. I still think it is a stupid thing to have in a contract though. One's expression is a very personal thing, and though these guys are entertainers, they are mostly athletes. I don't think most of them attend speech classes or obtain communication degrees while in big football colleges. And just because something is legal does not necessarily make it right. (my Dad, the judge, used to always say that). Also, the control that the NFL uses to force athletes to represent one brand over another, (or more accurately, not be wearing or promoting their own brand during certain times), bothers me. If I needed to get pumped up to go out and do what they do, I would want to be able to wear the headphones I like, not what the NFL told me to use. Do union pipe fitters have to use a certain brand of tool? Not sure. That is even more relevant about shoes or other personal athletic equipment I would think. And the irony regarding the beer sponsorship is interesting too. I like that Sherman and Baldwin were making their points known. Perhaps it will be taken into account by the players' union in bargaining next time.

With regard to the second paragraph, yes, I know. And Lynch's recent interview was a version of RG3's play. He answered all questions with one word answers, and plugged a charity effort he is undertaking. Less eloquent I suppose. But I don't think Marshawn is much about eloquence, for whatever reason that is. Lots of speculation about that.

So you and I don't disagree all that much. Upon reflection, and due to collective bargaining, I agree it is legal. But I do think it is stupid. Always good to talk to you, Chad. I was pulling for the 'Skins over the Niners. was disappointed to see that the Niners pulled it out in the end.

Ok, back to getting excited to see the Seahawks take on the Niners in SF tomorrow night. It will be tough, I am sure. @335clone , I haven't heard much from you this year. I am too nervous to wager, but hope for a good game!

Happy Thanksgiving, Weiner football fans!

Last edited:
I wonder SVL if you would be defending say Peyton Manning if there situation was similar there? You do have a bit of a Seattle bias :P ...just saying.

While I understand that sometimes the players don't want to talk to the media and most of the time the media asks stupid questions, it is, whether you agree or not, part of their contract and therefore part of their job. Lynch should have been more professional. I could imagine an equivalent situation for a regular job that would get you fired for doing the equivalent of what Lynch did IMO. But really if they don't want to talk the media they should call up Bill Belichick for lessons...he's awesome with the way the deals with the dumb questions ...and I'm not a Pats fan

Back to football, I think your Hawks are going to beat the '9ers. The '9ers have regressed defensively due to some of the injuries and Kap is not the guy was not sure why...maybe Harbaugh really isn't getting through to them anymore. The '9ers struggled to beat the Skins and the Skins aren't real good.

I wonder SVL if you would be defending say Peyton Manning if there situation was similar there? You do have a bit of a Seattle bias :tongue: ...just saying.

While I understand that sometimes the players don't want to talk to the media and most of the time the media asks stupid questions, it is, whether you agree or not, part of their contract and therefore part of their job. Lynch should have been more professional. I could imagine an equivalent situation for a regular job that would get you fired for doing the equivalent of what Lynch did IMO. But really if they don't want to talk the media they should call up Bill Belichick for lessons...he's awesome with the way the deals with the dumb questions ...and I'm not a Pats fan

Back to football, I think your Hawks are going to beat the '9ers. The '9ers have regressed defensively due to some of the injuries and Kap is not the guy was not sure why...maybe Harbaugh really isn't getting through to them anymore. The '9ers struggled to beat the Skins and the Skins aren't real good.
To answer your first question, the answer is yes. Even if it was pouty faced Brady. I defend his right to run his pouty little whiny mouth (or preferably, to shut it all together), and my right to criticize him about it. As far as bias, sometimes I struggle with Sherman, and before him Gary Payton of the Seattle Supersonics. But I respected their play, and also defend their right to express themselves, even if I don't like it.

Because there is no state action here, this is not really first amendment territory technically. So there is no law saying the NFL can't have this requirement. (Much as Mark can shut me down on this at any time as this is his house, if he thinks I am getting political or out of line in any way). But as I said, personal expression, or the choice not to say anything at all, to me is very important. And if the world were right, employers could not demand or control the speech or lack thereof of their employees. In the instant case, to an extent, the players are in the entertainment industry, but really are trained as athletes. So as I said, it might be technically legal to put that in a contract and fine someone for it, but to me it is wrong and agains the ideals of our country.

Oh, and Manning. I like that guy. I dislike Denver as a rule, and am not a fan of the traditional pocket QB so much, (and loathe Elway), but I like Manning. If he wanted to not speak for whatever reason, I would defend him all day long. But that is beyond the fact I like him. It is my belief in the matter. :grin:

Ok, so play ball! and Go Seahawks!!

A generation ago football was a game. Today is is a business pretending to be a game.

As for actual football.....

New England at Green Bay this weekend. Possible Superbowl preview.

A generation ago football was a game. Today is is a business pretending to be a game.

As for actual football.....

New England at Green Bay this weekend. Possible Superbowl preview.

Yep, that first point has been an undercurrent in this discussion.

And that should be a good game!

Even college football has become a multi-billion dollar per year business. Some still think it to be somewhat innocent.
I find it sad to see coaches being paid millions while tenured professors are paid tens of thousands.

Even college football has become a multi-billion dollar per year business. Some still think it to be somewhat innocent.
I find it sad to see coaches being paid millions while tenured professors are paid tens of thousands.

All because a top 20 team can produce tens of millions in profit for the universities.

Reactions: Tig
I loathe what has happened to college football. I used to love the experience of a good college game at Husky Stadium. Now, it has been tarnished.

This blog makes my point with regard to Husky football rather well.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/take2...ky-football-traditions/#.VFRmgBZT6SQ.facebook

@335clone , I haven't heard much from you this year. I am too nervous to wager, but hope for a good game!

Happy Thanksgiving, Weiner football fans!

Yeah, haven't been posting too much lately. I too cannot wait for tomorrows game. Both teams have identical records, but this year we are fighting for second place. I think you'll be impressed with Levi stadium too. Place is much louder than candlestick.

Oh, and you know my feelings about Sherman, but I have to give him props for his mocking of the NFL after lynch got fined. Funny shit:grin:

Nice Seahawks!! Beat the Niners, AND the refs!! If Marshawn was taunting, then what was Gore doing when he was pushing people after the play, on like the one time he broke a run open a little. And a few of the other holding, etc. calls were pretty ticky/tacky too. Not talking about the offsides stuff that is a gimme. I guess the NFL doesn't like being criticized. But nice win!

EDIT: I don't mind if the refs want to call a tight game to keep the energy down in a game between rivals, and very physical teams, but it would be nice if they called it both ways is all. I know, sounds a bit whiny complaining during a pretty solid win, but still. :wink:

Last edited:
Whoever that fucktard was on Dallas Defense who got up celebrated his tackle, while losing by 20 points late in the 4th quarter, well.....you get the $100K fine for being an asshole.

And to the Dallas defender who leveled that Eagle who wasn't looking on the kick, you should have been ejected. I hope the league slaps you with a suspension and a fine. Dirty play.

Eagles got exposed by Green Bay a few weeks ago.
Dallas just got exposed by Philly.

Interesting. Is Romo concussed or something? A few of those throws were awful...

Back