How many kids did you want? How many do you have?

I accidentally became a 'cat parent' for the first time in 1999, and have had a total of 8 cats over the years. I love them all - and with one of them I have a bond that is, to me, the same (if not even more intense) than those described by parents (example: I'd risk my life to preserve the life of this cat). She sleeps curled against my chest, obeys all kinds of voice commands from me, and in fact picked me out at an adoption clinic by escaping from her cage and chasing me down.
Love the escape & chase part of that story!

The few times she's been injured, I have truly wondered what I would do without her. Odd as it may sound, that cat is my soulmate (a fact my wife still occasionally resents and took some time to get used to).

The point is that everyone has different types of relationships with animals, and some are more intense than others.

Indeed. When I had to make the choice to put mine down, if an all-powerful being would have said to me "press this button and your cat will live ten more years but you will live ten less years" I would have pressed that button immediately. He was more human than many humans.

Amen. My cats are some of the best people I know.

We are close; they have very consistently and clearly drawn limits and (mostly) respect them. Hunting to kill is a no-no, and one time when she was young Angie had a lizard in her jaws and I told her to drop it, and she regretfully lowered her head and let it go. I think most people are just too lazy to get to the next level with cats - if you work with them, they'll work with you.

Honestly, I didn't want kids, back then in my 20's I figured I'd be a bad parent. But the first one came along, and we wound up with 3 girls. After that, I got my wings clipped. Then Mom became "unreliable" and I wound up raising them on my own. Asking them, they say I've been a great Daddy, but I wasn't the perfect Dad for sure. Looking back, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd been too tough on a son.

Honestly, I didn't want kids, back then in my 20's I figured I'd be a bad parent. But the first one came along, and we wound up with 3 girls. After that, I got my wings clipped. Then Mom became "unreliable" and I wound up raising them on my own. Asking them, they say I've been a great Daddy, but I wasn't the perfect Dad for sure. Looking back, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd been too tough on a son.
You did good son.

I wanted kids. The wife hated kids. Then she fell in love with me (for reasons I still can't figure out) and decided she'd like to spawn with me. With her work and school commitments we "scheduled" Spawn #1 to exit the womb at a "convenient" time. After two miscarriages we almost gave up and I was gonna get nipped but we gave it one last go. Both were C-sections and on the second exit the doc said that due to the two C-sections and previous surgeries another spawn would be a bad idea (could come out like in the movie Alien) so they tied her tubes while they were in there.

So, now we've got two kids that never get hurt but break lots of shit due to their indestructible bodies.

That is a great story aside from the divorce.

Congratulations on the fire/ems career as well. Challenging, noble and I assume fulfilling.
Thanks. It was all of that.

"Was" because I was forced to retire from a back injury in 2012. Life has been kinda hard, professionally, since. Once you reach the apex of your dreams everything else is just...Meh.

We initially talked 3-4.

Had one. Then we were pregnant with twins when I initially diagnosed with cancer. Then my parents-in-law died within a year of another, and we took in their youngest, who was then a preteen. At that point, we decided that we were good.

Back