"Chibson"

One of my students has a KILLER Epi Les Paul. Probably one of the best I've played and they're pretty popular with kids around here. His plays great, has a real lively sound to it and I think with some better pickups you wouldn't be able to tell anything was awry.

That is everything that is wrong with these counterfeits. Some unknowledgeable victim will pay Gibson blue-book price for a crappy knock-off. If you want to buy one for yourself to fiddle with, fine, but don't try to pass it off as genuine.
Well, this is my point exactly. I'm really thinking about buying a couple of these, but I'll never sell them.
I would remove any decals or logos if I did it myself.

correct...

I believe that epi Les Paul models almost always suck...

My Joe Pass does indeed rule though
This would disprove that, in my opinion.

lpc1.jpg

That's hot. ^^^

My son's 94 MIK Birdseye Epi LP is killer. He went shopping to upgrade a while back and came home empty handed. Said he couldn't find anything under $1,500 he liked well enough to warrant the expense. He paid $300 for his + upgrades = $450.

My wife worked with a woman who had a guitar player husband and I tried his Epi LP out when we met them for dinner one night and I was surprised, it was a really good guitar.

Some of those fake LPs you can tell they are not real due to slightly different body proportions (the non cutaway side is larger than on a real LP or the cutaway is sharper or the proportions of the headstock art to the headstock are off). Still, I'd still put this up against all the fakery:

ar300m.jpg

Yes, it's an Ibanez. Yes, it's obvious they modeled it after a Les Paul. But, they didn't try to pass it off as a label it wasn't. A fine line to be sure but it was the start of Ibanez going from strict almost too close copies to their own thing. The electronics are pretty cool too.

I have two Epi Les Pauls and I love them both. I had a friend's Gibson LP for about a month. Yes, I could tell it was better than the Epi (his was a '91), none of the Gibson LP's I've played have convinced me that they were worth the prices they ask.

I have two Epi Les Pauls and I love them both. I had a friend's Gibson LP for about a month. Yes, I could tell it was better than the Epi (his was a '91), none of the Gibson LP's I've played have convinced me that they were worth the prices they ask.

Like all major and non major brands you really have to search for a piece that suits your playing the best that it can. Either it is right or it is not and there is no way around it.

Back