"Chibson"

I own a Tokai lawsuit model (actually a guitar that was used IN the lawsuit) but it at least doesn't say "Fender" anywhere on it. I'd have a hard time personally owning a complete counterfeit guitar, especially now that I've had my own work pirated.

I own a Tokai lawsuit model (actually a guitar that was used IN the lawsuit) but it at least doesn't say "Fender" anywhere on it. I'd have a hard time personally owning a complete counterfeit guitar, especially now that I've had my own work pirated.

I agree... Curiosity really started to get to me though. I had to know.

On another note... When you look at logos and the like it really makes you wonder just how much of the real Gibson stuff is made in the US?

I agree... Curiosity really started to get to me though. I had to know.

On another note... When you look at logos and the like it really makes you wonder just how much of the real Gibson stuff is made in the US?

Be even more interesting if GC was selling Chibsons at Gibson prices due to their financial situation.

I agree. I think I may still get one of the clones as a project guitar. I've thought about building a 7-string, and if I get one of these, I'll at least have a painted body and neck. That said, from all the reviews I've watched I'd need to replace the hardware entirely.

That's why I'd be kinda tempted to have them put my name on the headstock instead of Gibson, like the guy in the video did. I think I'd sleep a little better at night.

If I was in a gigging band, where the name on the headstock mattered to the cork sniffers in the audience, I'd probably order one of these. Or, I'd get a Squire and replace the neck with a Fender neck.

That said, the one thing that I'd think this underscores is people are willing to pay for inexpensive models of guitars. I'd buy an Epiphone or a Squire before I'd order one of these. I'd get a PRS SE before I'd get one of these.

What I wish Ibanez would do is make a sub$1000 JEM. I don't need the vine inlay, but I'd like the scalloping. Ibanez PUPs would be fine. Granted, my Ibanez RG570 is pretty close to a JEM anyway.

The one of these I'm more interested in is the BillyBo. I really wish Gretsch did an Electromatic version of that one.

I think if people buy them for their personal collections or curiosity, I'd be ok with that. Where I have more of a problem, of course, is people reselling them for Gibson prices.

It makes me scared to ever buy a used Gibson LP. You never know, it could be a fake.
Yeah, I've felt that way for a while.

Even with the decaling you ca get, it'd be pretty easy for someone to parts together a Les Paul with a logo.

I would like to thank you all for not completely going batshit on me about that guitar. I have told very few people that it is a fake.

For what it is worth I did place a sticker inside the electronics cavity stating that it is a fake. I would hate for something to happen to it and then find out someone got ripped off over it.

It looks great with the real ones and the Agile though...

Les_Pauls_1800_00.jpg

Yeah, I've felt that way for a while.

Even with the decaling you ca get, it'd be pretty easy for someone to parts together a Les Paul with a logo.

Check everything before you buy anything. There are so many fake Jems out there that it is scary!

If I got one like Scott's I would immediately remove the Gibson logo somehow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I feel that my original post might need some editing and clarification, so I'll just do it here.

I think China can make a great guitar. I think the main issue is that they build to a low price point, and the materials and quality often reflects these compromises. I think when they focus on making good guitars with a moderate price point to compete with Korean makers, they are just as good. If they focused on a no target price strategy, they could make a guitar that would be as good as any high end maker from anywhere on Earth. I think the problem is that they try to target the lowest price point (ZOMG LES PAULZ FOR 99.99). I love my Chinese made Hofner. It is a shockingly good guitar for very little money.

I guess my aversion of the knockoff guitars is that the makers have no brand to protect, and no reputation to lose. They are "borrowing" someone's reputation. I think in some cases (but not all), this really impacts quality. Epiphone makes some really nice guitars in China, and they keep an eye on the QC and material quality because they have a brand to protect. I suspect these knockoff companies pay a hell of a lot less attention. The examples I have played have been terrible, but I have heard that some people who have bought the knockoffs find them to be really decent guitars (like Scott_Abene in this thread). I've also heard horror stories (see CoralKong's avatar), and seen some really awful guitars. I guess it is a matter of getting a good one. I suspect these good ones are coming out of the third shift back door of the fancy new Epiphone factory, and the lousy ones are coming from elsewhere....maybe the back of the Baldwin factory. :)

As for the issue of buying a knockoff, I don't think I would ever do it, but it doesn't really bother me if someone else does so.

I feel that my original post might need some editing and clarification, so I'll just do it here.

I think China can make a great guitar. I think the main issue is that they build to a low price point, and the materials and quality often reflects these compromises. I think when they focus on making good guitars with a moderate price point to compete with Korean makers, they are just as good. If they focused on a no target price strategy, they could make a guitar that would be as good as any high end maker from anywhere on Earth. I think the problem is that they try to target the lowest price point (ZOMG LES PAULZ FOR 99.99). I love my Chinese made Hofner. It is a shockingly good guitar for very little money.

I guess my aversion of the knockoff guitars is that the makers have no brand to protect, and no reputation to lose. They are "borrowing" someone's reputation. I think in some cases (but not all), this really impacts quality. Epiphone makes some really nice guitars in China, and they keep an eye on the QC and material quality because they have a brand to protect. I suspect these knockoff companies pay a hell of a lot less attention. The examples I have played have been terrible, but I have heard that some people who have bought the knockoffs find them to be really decent guitars (like Scott_Abene in this thread). I've also heard horror stories (see CoralKong's avatar), and seen some really awful guitars. I guess it is a matter of getting a good one. I suspect these good ones are coming out of the third shift back door of the fancy new Epiphone factory, and the lousy ones are coming from elsewhere....maybe the back of the Baldwin factory. :)

As for the issue of buying a knockoff, I don't think I would ever do it, but it doesn't really bother me if someone else does so.
I think the MIC EVH Wolfgang Special is a testament to that. They are killer guitars, hardly discernable from the previous MIJ version.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Back