"Chibson"

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member

The unboxing of this other Les Paul is interesting

@dougk - didn't see any of your guitars in the background at least.

It's not really a Chibson, as that is an Edwards ESP Eclipse, with a custom logo. There has been rumours that Edwards are now built and assembled in China, supervised by Japanese technicians. Not exactly the same as Chibsons

The second video is an actual Chibsun though complete with a "Made in USA" stamp on the back of the headstock and a bunch of production fuckups. Actually, that might have been them just trying to stay faithful to the real thing :embarrassed:

:lol:

That's interesting...think I might order a custom instrument from China, have my own "logo" made, etc.

Pretty cool deal for a couple bills, or so.

You know, at the end of the day.....I really don't give a shit what it says on the headstock.

It's a shame that the guitars cannot immediately be identified as fucking garbage, but so be it.

The tool is only as good as the craftsman who wields it, you know?

It is a shame we are more worried about the name on the headstock than how well it is played, really is my point.

Wow, the inlays on the Slash LP looks like I did them after 8 or 9 beers. To provide the proper perspective with which to interpret that statement, I have NO woodworking skills at all and would attempt them with a hammer and flathead screwdriver.

Wow, the inlays on the Slash LP looks like I did them after 8 or 9 beers. To provide the proper perspective with which to interpret that statement, I have NO woodworking skills at all and would attempt them with a hammer and flathead screwdriver.

I installed a P90 like that in a Squier Bullet that didn't have the rout already :lol:

Toan is in the recycled packing crate pallet wood construction.

I never quite got the appeal of the fakes. You can get a really nice, cheap guitar that is Les Paul like from China, and I think you get a bit better quality when you are not paying for the adding price of the fake logo. Yeah, Gibson charges a ton for their name, and I suspect the knockoff companies charge a bit more for the Chibsons over their in house brand too. For some reason the internet seems to eat up these things, usually followed by thousands of posts that they are as good as a Gibson. I've played a few of these fakes, they aren't even close to the real thing.

Last edited:
I'm not going to lie, I find these interesting from a project standpoint.

I'm a little tempted by their Billy Bo clone. I was thinking of building my own from scratch, but this would eliminate the step of stopping by my buddies work bench.

509608226_533.jpg
509608226_533.jpg
509608226_533.jpg

I will fess up

I bought this last year from Ali-Express. It is a Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates. The craftsmanship is excellent. The maple top is real. The pickups even had "GIBSON" stamped on them. Overall I would rate the guitar a 8 out of 10 with new pickups installed.

Billy_Gibbons_Pearly_Gates_02.jpg

I have taken this to rehearsals, Let many friends play it etc. Nobody has ever asked if it is real or not.

I have had more than one person ask me how I always find the "great" guitars.

I will fess up

I bought this last year from Ali-Express. It is a Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates. The craftsmanship is excellent. The maple top is real. The pickups even had "GIBSON" stamped on them. Overall I would rate the guitar a 8 out of 10 with new pickups installed.

Billy_Gibbons_Pearly_Gates_02.jpg

I have taken this to rehearsals, Let many friends play it etc. Nobody has ever asked if it is real or not.

I have had more than one person ask me how I always find the "great" guitars.
Shit, I'd buy that! You put new pickups in it then?

Back