"Chibson"

I own a Tokai lawsuit model (actually a guitar that was used IN the lawsuit) but it at least doesn't say "Fender" anywhere on it. I'd have a hard time personally owning a complete counterfeit guitar, especially now that I've had my own work pirated.

Agreed. I would not, however, be against doing what the OP did, and order a counterfeit LP with a custom logo in the headstock.

Dammit, now it's on sale for $292, shipped, with hard case.
59lp.JPG

two things seem to stand out to me - the bridge has the obvious import posts/bushings and the tailpiece seems to be a little further away from the bridge than normal spec.

Well, the first thing I would do is to replace the bridge and tailpiece with Tonepros. I can't do anything about the placement. I've already geared myself up for the eventual (sooner than later) gutting of the electronics. I'm sure the pickups are not great. OK, so I've got about a $600 cost total, which is 10% of what the real '59 reissue costs. I'm never going to sell it, flip it, or do anything immoral. When the pickups come out, I am engraving "FAKE" in the cavities. I will never lie to anyone and tell them it's real. Quite the contrary. I'll actually enjoy telling people about it like I do with my $200 Jazzmaster clone.

Sure you can. Don't buy something you know is defective from the start. If it can't intonate properly, then it's an expensive wall decoration.
I think Vintage Clubber only meant that the tailpiece is further back than usual, not the ToM as well.

So my buddy just got his Aztec Silver Robert Cray model from China. It is an absolute beauty. It took about 30 minutes to switch out strings and setup. Sounds and plays fantastic!

IMG_5827.JPG

IMG_5828.JPG

IMG_5829.JPG

IMG_5830.JPG

IMG_5831.JPG

IMG_5832.JPG

IMG_5833.JPG

I was browsing some Chinese version of ebay type kinda thing the other day, and saw a 5str knockoff of a Ric 4003 bass.
caught my eye, I must say.
nowhere on it did it say Rickenbacker, so I guess it's not "technically" counterfeit.

if I'd had the cash in my paypal, it'd be own it's way to my house by now.

yes... Maybe that and the bridge make it less liable?
I can't imagine that this company is concerned about liability, trademarks, etc. :)

The bridge is most likely just a cost-cutting measure, but the different font is a bit of a mystery. Laziness?

I was browsing some Chinese version of ebay type kinda thing the other day, and saw a 5str knockoff of a Ric 4003 bass.
caught my eye, I must say.
nowhere on it did it say Rickenbacker, so I guess it's not "technically" counterfeit.

if I'd had the cash in my paypal, it'd be own it's way to my house by now.

If you were to order it, it'd show with the logo.

Actually the local shop had one in strangely enough, they were curious. It wasn't bad by any means for the money.

well, that's kind of a drag, I'd prefer it without the logo, actually.
I'd rather draw my own logo with a Sharpie :helper:

I can't imagine that this company is concerned about liability, trademarks, etc. :)
The bridge is most likely just a cost-cutting measure, but the different font is a bit of a mystery. Laziness?

I agree, I mean it has a "genuine" Fender logo and says "Made in U.S.A", so I don't think it's a liability issue. Wierd about the font. I wonder if they all have the same serial number too, or if they generate different ones for each guitar. :shrug:

:mad:
This popped up on my local Kijiji last night. His asking price was the first thing that caught my eye. $1500 seems like a great deal until you realize it's fake and he is trying to potentially triple his money. I emailed him and made my own BUYER BEWARE ad so nobody gets ripped off. In the past 12hrs I have had almost 500 visitors....his ad only has about 50. I have yet to check my inbox.
lp.JPG

Headstock is wrong, Bigsby is wrong and that lower horn is really wonky.

That is everything that is wrong with these counterfeits. Some unknowledgeable victim will pay Gibson blue-book price for a crappy knock-off. If you want to buy one for yourself to fiddle with, fine, but don't try to pass it off as genuine.

That is everything that is wrong with these counterfeits. Some unknowledgeable victim will pay Gibson blue-book price for a crappy knock-off. If you want to buy one for yourself to fiddle with, fine, but don't try to pass it off as genuine.
Well, this is my point exactly. I'm really thinking about buying a couple of these, but I'll never sell them.

Back