MWGL's first Virtual Open Mic One Take (VOM1T)

well, alrighty then, I'll upload my stuff and post it.
got video, and a separate audio track as well.
I do say "fuck" a couple times, so I'll have to make sure to mention that when I post. (reminder for self)

So we basically do a live take of a song a post it on youtube and then post the link here?

Maybe I could do one of my looping things with the looper so you can see how it works. But I've got the cold from hell. Singing even when my voice doesn't sound like four tons of concrete is dicey at best.

Ram, I was thinking of putting that medley together for my band (as soon as they forgive me for making them learn a bluegrass arrangement of "Bohemian Rhapsody")--was it hard to put together? Is is it your arrangement?

Great job; I love the guitar sound, too.

Here's mine - it's long, and there are certainly some rough spots along the way.

That is not something I would ever think to attempt; well done.

I like that a lot. I hope it won't be considered an insult if I tell you it has a real Grateful Dead feel to it to me. From me that is the ultimate compliment.

Ram, I was thinking of putting that medley together for my band (as soon as they forgive me for making them learn a bluegrass arrangement of "Bohemian Rhapsody")--was it hard to put together? Is is it your arrangement?

Big chunks of the original are piano driven but I rearranged the other parts to work with the solo piano man concept. It was hard (as you can tell from the crappiness of the take) - none of it is super complicated but nothing in it is trivial and there's just a lot of material to learn and execute.

It did give me a better insight into some of The Beatles' (and particularly Paul's) trademark harmonic moves and songwriting patterns, and my piano playing certainly improved with the practice.

Not finding Bohemian Rhapsody on the website - how did that work?

As far as Bluegrass Abbey Road it seems like something of a stretch - I've Just Seen A Face (with the I-V bomp-bomp bass part) seems like a more natural fit (as you may have noticed).

Back