The World Cup Thread.....

David Moyes is a bawbag and a manager, not a referee. i was watching it with a friend who has his badges for refereeing pro handball and although it's a different sport, the principles and way of observing are pretty much the same. When the whistle went he said, free kick, yank was holding the slovenian back.

I hadn;t even seen this and thought they'd awarded a penalty for the 2 guys at the front but my pal was spot on.

The whistle was blown before the ball even got into the middle never mind the back of the net so it's not some anti-US conspiracy.

There's been some absolutely appalling refereeing with regards to fouls so far but that was the right decision.
 
I don't think anyone here suggested it was a conspiracy. Just a bad call. Obviously, people can disagree about whether the call was a correct one or not. But when even the coaches and players don't know what the foul was (even after the game had ended), then there's a problem. That's not good refereeing.
 
The coach was 70 yards away

the players aren;t going to turn round and say yeah man good call on stopping that winning goal.

There was a foul directly inline with the ref's vision and he blew the whistle. Even if the other situation was a foul too, it was the correct call.

If the guy wasnt holding the player and the player didn't manage to clear the ball you would have won, it's as simple as that.
 
from my point of view, the US would have won had they actually played the first half as well as they did during the second half. they can't keep allowing early goals and expect to come from behind every time. ultimately, the loss rests with their play, not this one call.
 
from my point of view, the US would have won had they actually played the first half as well as they did during the second half. they can't keep allowing early goals and expect to come from behind every time. ultimately, the loss rests with their play, not this one call.

Very true.....

It was an excellent match though from start to finish.....
 
I'll second that. We've had 2 cracking games today. Hopefully tonight's wll be the same.
 
The coach was 70 yards away

the players aren;t going to turn round and say yeah man good call on stopping that winning goal.

There was a foul directly inline with the ref's vision and he blew the whistle. Even if the other situation was a foul too, it was the correct call.

If the guy wasnt holding the player and the player didn't manage to clear the ball you would have won, it's as simple as that.

I think it completely matters that there were at least two instances on the play where Slovenia should have been called. Both absolutely could have affected the play and were absolute bear hugs. So how does it make sense to pick out the part of the play you are referring to, which is not as obvious as you make it seem? Bad call, should have allowed the goal.

That said, if they would play better defense, they wouldnt have this problem. They tend, to my eye, to leave guys alone in a dangerous spot on a regular basis. Good game from a spectators perspective. I would love to see them do well and continue to gain respect in the soccer world.
 
I think it completely matters that there were at least two instances on the play where Slovenia should have been called. Both absolutely could have affected the play and were absolute bear hugs. So how does it make sense to pick out the part of the play you are referring to, which is not as obvious as you make it seem? Bad call, should have allowed the goal.

That said, if they would play better defense, they wouldnt have this problem. They tend, to my eye, to leave guys alone in a dangerous spot on a regular basis. Good game from a spectators perspective. I would love to see them do well and continue to gain respect in the soccer world.

The players that the call was made about were directly in the line of the cross moving towards the ball.

The players at the front of the group (the one you see clearly on the camera) were in front of the ball and clearly had no bearing on the play.

I don't know what other examples you're talking about but those are the 2 clearest ones. One interfered directly with play, one didn't.
 
Just found out that this was the refs FIRST world cup math he ever reffed.

What's that got to do with anything? He was a much better ref than the maniac in the Germany game.

If you don't want goals chopped off, don't obstruct defenders from clearing the ball in the box.

If the ball had been blasted over the net or saved we wouldn't even be having this conversation as the whistle was blown way before the shot went in so you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
 
What's that got to do with anything? He was a much better ref than the maniac in the Germany game.

If you don't want goals chopped off, don't obstruct defenders from clearing the ball in the box.

If the ball had been blasted over the net or saved we wouldn't even be having this conversation as the whistle was blown way before the shot went in so you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

This has everything to do with it - just wait and watch the media jump on it being it is already calssified by the media as a "contraversial call".


And if you knew anything about football - you would know that ALL FOOTBALL GAMES ARE LOST BECAUSE OF THE REF! :grin:

No games are won by the ref either :grin:

And the call wasn't obstruction for the record - it was for, "too much shirt pulling". Also - I didn't hear the whistle as I had to watch in silence being I'm at work and had to stream it.
 
Pulling a shirt is obstructing the player from moving freely.

It's essentially the same thing as standing right in front of him and not letting him move.
 
perspective-motivational-poster.jpg
 
Everone professional comment I have heard, US or otherwise says the call was shit.

The call was shit.
 
Last edited:
Can I be the first to type about vuvuzelas, those plastic horns? I've been happy about that as a new social activity ever since I heard about them. They're supposed to be catching on in North America, selling 70,000 in Toronto this last few days.
It's about time American stadium fans took things past the wave.

as always, John Watt
 
Can I be the first to type about vuvuzelas, those plastic horns? I've been happy about that as a new social activity ever since I heard about them. They're supposed to be catching on in North America, selling 70,000 in Toronto this last few days.
It's about time American stadium fans took things past the wave.

as always, John Watt

Fuck no.
 
It's about time those poor, crazed African countries, damned by the oil underground,
get to jam your signals up, World Cup style.
I predict a NFL half-season before southern fans tote shotguns instead.

as always, John Watt
 
Back
Top