The Bicycle / Biking Gear Thread

I'm fucked - I tried to adjust the cable on my front derailleur and stripped it, and my most-reputable LBS is booking maintenance appointments in July.

The weather is windy, over 95 most days, and all that ^^^^^ bullshit. Absolutely fucking irritating as hell.

Sadly, a riding buddy lost her long battle with cancer yesterday.

50035143241_9b10d82255_z.jpg

Not going to conflate my wet-diaper saga with real tragedy, so separate post:

The Lord Taketh Away, and He Giveth.

Near my home is a guy; he has a 'cyclery' that he runs out of his garage. I know little about it except that a) he's a half mile away (that's like 10 houses out here) and b) his website mentions that he went to pro bike mechanic school and believes in doing the Christian thing by his customers.

Side note: ABQ seems to specialize in these people; I know a guy who is a former electrical engineer for missiles who does amp repair out of his garage. One of the best amp techs I've ever seen, and is religious about a lot of things, including his need to not make more than $25k/year and thus keeping your repair bill staggeringly low. The catch? He only works on amps he likes, (e.g., vintage tube amps) otherwise he's 'too busy.'

I call the dude in my 'hood. He's nice, I tell him I tried to readjust my front derailleur and wound up messing up the cabling (as well as breaking my vice grips). I'm desperate.

"Bring it by around 5:embarrassed:0. I close then, but the garage will be open."

He recables the front derailleur. He adds an inline adjuster (note to Giant: why didn't you ....?). He carefully reseats the derailleur on the frame. I ooh and ahh over his vintage Tour posters in the garage (really fucking cool). Half an hour later, the bike is shifting like showroom magic. He asks me for $20.

You're fucking kidding me.

Not going to conflate my wet-diaper saga with real tragedy, so separate post:

The Lord Taketh Away, and He Giveth.

Near my home is a guy; he has a 'cyclery' that he runs out of his garage. I know little about it except that a) he's a half mile away (that's like 10 houses out here) and b) his website mentions that he went to pro bike mechanic school and believes in doing the Christian thing by his customers.

Side note: ABQ seems to specialize in these people; I know a guy who is a former electrical engineer for missiles who does amp repair out of his garage. One of the best amp techs I've ever seen, and is religious about a lot of things, including his need to not make more than $25k/year and thus keeping your repair bill staggeringly low. The catch? He only works on amps he likes, (e.g., vintage tube amps) otherwise he's 'too busy.'

I call the dude in my 'hood. He's nice, I tell him I tried to readjust my front derailleur and wound up messing up the cabling (as well as breaking my vice grips). I'm desperate.

"Bring it by around 5:embarrassed:0. I close then, but the garage will be open."

He recables the front derailleur. He adds an inline adjuster (note to Giant: why didn't you ....?). He carefully reseats the derailleur on the frame. I ooh and ahh over his vintage Tour posters in the garage (really fucking cool). Half an hour later, the bike is shifting like showroom magic. He asks me for $20.

You're fucking kidding me.
He reminds me of an old riding buddy/former teammate that has a tiny shop.

104420491_2636936809880771_1005972086576932331_n.jpg

Even though I'm from Boston, I have my moments. He is overwhelmed with repairs during this Quarantine of Two Wheel Mania, and the lady who showed up at 5:30 was wondering about an $8 difference between parts.

I did give him $40, and told him he bailed me out and the extra $20 was for "the next person." I'll let him figure that out.

Anyhow, back to the grind tomorrow!

(Looking at a Litespeed Natchez this week; if anyone has any beta, let me know)

Cool! Since the early OO’s when I first saw that brand being ridden by some TdF team, I have thought they looked really cool. Congrats!

Thanks! It’s actually replacing my 2008 Cervelo that has held up nicely. Not sure of the life of carbon fiber frames but I felt like 12 years might be pushing it. I can’t wait to ride this one though, I’m expecting some improvements in stiffness and handling. But again, I had no complaints on my 2008 frame.

d559551e75996ec1b0aede1527af901e.jpg

Can’t wait to build this up. Friggin light, feels like it’s made out of paper.
Nice! I ride with two people who own the same R5, one is a fit but heavy recreational retired guy and one a tall, all muscle, recently retired track racer in his early 60's. Both have nothing but good things to say about the frames, which is cool coming from such different users.

Nice! I ride with two people who own the same R5, one is a fit but heavy recreational retired guy and one a tall, all muscle, recently retired track racer in his early 60's. Both have nothing but good things to say about the frames, which is cool coming from such different users.

Thanks, hearing good reviews from real people after I’ve forked out some bucks on this is a good feeling. I’m 6’2”, so other big guys riding the same bike is reassuring.

Reactions: Tig
Always wondered about the lifetime of carbon frames. I don't worry about the lifetime of steel or Al. It has only happened once but I stopped to help a guy and his (carbon) frame had broken, on a more or less smooth road. No idea how it happened nor did he but had me wondering if it was worth the expense. I suppose if you have the coin it doesn't matter but I keep things until they die generally (oldest bike 1982, current car 1997, current wife 1962 :Wave:)

Always wondered about the lifetime of carbon frames. I don't worry about the lifetime of steel or Al. It has only happened once but I stopped to help a guy and his (carbon) frame had broken, on a more or less smooth road. No idea how it happened nor did he but had me wondering if it was worth the expense. I suppose if you have the coin it doesn't matter but I keep things until they die generally (oldest bike 1982, current car 1997, current wife 1962 :Wave:)

I’m into bikes, so I still have a 1970 Peugeot 10 speed with a kickstand and rack. Still have my early 90s Italian steel Mondonico frame and my first aluminum bike, a 1998 Gitane (which is my travel bike). Have 2 mountain bikes and a fixie.

But me riding the same road bike over 10 years is something none of my cycling buddies do.

my first road bike, a 10 speed bought in the early 70's I think was stolen. I'm not really into bikes though I have 3. My 82 steel which was my commute/ride to the gym bike. I got my CAD10 to ride the hills here since the old steel was painful to ride the steeper hills. I got a gravel bike for our place up north that I can't go to right now :(. I do have more guitars than bikes though by a 2:1 margin

Back