OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how when Obama was running in 08, the Republicans claimed he had no experience. Now Trump having no experience is a good thing? And you call us hypocritical?

And believe me, HRC's appearance is the least of my reasons for voting for her. 2112 is correct that I would prefer not to vote for her, but it has no bearing on experience, which she has plenty of. Had the Republicans actually fielded an electable candidate, I would have seriously considered voting for them. But they didn't. None of them, but especially not Trump.

In Canada we are not quite unanimously horrified that there is a portion of the population in the USA that takes Trump seriously enough to make it through a round of the nomination battle - it gets closer to unanimous that he is leading one of the two parties and is actually competing. Mind-blowing that he could win.
The fact that Trump is in the race just illustrates how pissed-off the public is with the system/status quo. Sure, he's a crappy choice, but he was the only choice from the GOP that was not from within the system. Of course, the Dems had Bernie, who also came pretty close to getting the nomination. Sum those two together and it's pretty clear how the population feels about the state of both party's offerings.

I really see no way Trump gets in, especially with all that has transpired the last week or two. What will be interesting is what happens in 2020. Will the GOP rebuild itself to a unified party again? Will Hillary run for a second term? She will be 72 in 202 and will have served 4 years in what will no doubt be a turbulent term. I for one, doubt that she will run again. I think a big part of her motivation for running was to go in the history books as the first woman president. Once she has that title, I think she'll lose interest in reelection.

The fact that Trump is in the race just illustrates how pissed-off the public is with the system/status quo. Sure, he's a crappy choice, but he was the only choice from the GOP that was not from within the system. Of course, the Dems had Bernie, who also came pretty close to getting the nomination. Sum those two together and it's pretty clear how the population feels about the state of both party's offerings.

I really see no way Trump gets in, especially with all that has transpired the last week or two. What will be interesting is what happens in 2020. Will the GOP rebuild itself to a unified party again? Will Hillary run for a second term? She will be 72 in 202 and will have served 4 years in what will no doubt be a turbulent term. I for one, doubt that she will run again. I think a big part of her motivation for running was to go in the history books as the first woman president. Once she has that title, I think she'll lose interest in reelection.
I doubt it, on Hillary not running again if she wins. I bet she will make some headway and progress, and will have a number of projects underway but not completed, and will want to keep on with it. Like everything she has done or not, it has been her life's work.

On Bernie, I was not pissed so much at the Dems biz as usual, as I liked his politics better, and feel like he is the counterweight the Dems need. The conversation has been pulled way way too far right for way too long. Through this election process, I have come to understand Hillary's history more, and become more understanding of some things I don't like about her, such as her holding her cards tight and being secretive. I still would like her to change that, and still would like her to push the ball further left on quite a few issues. But I have become very comfortable with her as the candidate at this point in time.

And, I just have to say again that Michelle Obama is a wonderful speaker. It has been a long time since I have felt inspired at all in this election cycle. She managed to give me that, while addressing some very ugly things coming from the right, and from Trump.

If the GOP is smart, they'll wipe the slate clean and start over in 2020. That's as likely as Clinton declining to run for a second term, independent parties/candidates spending the next 4 years on the ground, and the abolition of auto-tune.

And, I just have to say again that Michelle Obama is a wonderful speaker. It has been a long time since I have felt inspired at all in this election cycle. She managed to give me that, while addressing some very ugly things coming from the right, and from Trump.

i'm thinking that Michelle might make a better Prez than Barak has been.

i'm thinking that Michelle might make a better Prez than Barak has been.
I am looking back at our current president with gratitude, and plenty of understanding for things that did not go his way. The obstructionism was extreme. And as a white male, this election process has caused me to accept even more that a lot of the obstructionist behavior was due to racism. Did he perform perfectly in accordance with my hopes and expectations? No. Are there some areas where I have concerns? Sure. But I really admire him and am very grateful for all he has done.

I am looking back at our current president with gratitude, and plenty of understanding for things that did not go his way. The obstructionism was extreme. And as a white male, this election process has caused me to accept even more that a lot of the obstructionist behavior was due to racism. Did he perform perfectly in accordance with my hopes and expectations? No. Are there some areas where I have concerns? Sure. But I really admire him and am very grateful for all he has done.
Well-said.

...Will the GOP rebuild itself to a unified party again?...

In an ideal world, the Republican party would split into moderate Republicans, and the teaparty/religious caliphate/redneck party. Unfortunately, they can't afford to - neither faction would ever be able to take on the Democrats (especially considering how far toward the center the Democrats have shifted).

Unfortunately, the Republican party has seen that moderate (I use that term loosely) republicans (Kasich, Rubio, etc) can't get support, the religious zealots (Cruz, Carson) can't get the support, and the teaparty (Paul) can't get the support. What they have seen is that there is HUGE (HUGE I tell you) previously untapped group of racist/misogynistic rednecks to pander to for votes.

My prediction is that for the next few cycles, the Republican party will trot out a series of Trump-lites - racist/misogynistic enough to foment the masses, but stopping short of being obnoxiously unelectable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back