OMG Politics, I'm over it already Mk III, The Search for Spock

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i bet the FBI and DOJ were working on trumps behalf with the russians to build a trump tower in moscow during the campaign. manafort was totally setup by the deep state to push russia's agenda at the convention and they totally put him up to giving the russians updates while he was asking them if this might make them whole. the FBI and DOJ also must have put cohen up to asking foriegn govts for millions of dollars for access to the president.

yeah i bet the FBI and DOJ were working on trumps behalf with the russians to build a trump tower in moscow during the campaign. manafort was totally setup by the deep state to push russia's agenda at the convention and they totally put him up to giving the russians updates while he was asking them if this might make them whole. the FBI and DOJ also must have put cohen up to asking foriegn govts for millions of dollars for access to the president.

th

Yet another school mass shooting. This one is 14 miles away in a very red area known as Santa Fe.
I saw a kid on the news saying his friend saw the shooter and pulled the fire alarm, thinking that would do something helpful. :facepalm: This likely means more kids filled out into the line of fire. :mad:

Multiple Life Flight helicopters are there, so it looks like a bad one.

Yet another school mass shooting. This one is 14 miles away in a very red area known as Santa Fe.
I saw a kid on the news saying his friend saw the shooter and pulled the fire alarm, thinking that would do something helpful. :facepalm: This likely means more kids filled out into the line of fire. :mad:

:(

:(

I’m just out of things to say when these things keep happening.

Turns my stomach every time I see these headlines. I'm getting ready for "thoughts and prayers" and "this is not the time to discuss gun reform." It's really getting old and I can't imagine what the parents are going through.

Turns my stomach every time I see these headlines. I'm getting ready for "thoughts and prayers" and "this is not the time to discuss gun reform." It's really getting old and I can't imagine what the parents are going through.

Tomorrow was their graduation day.

it's getting to the point that school shooting seem to have become some sort of twisted trendy thing to do.
maybe i just never heard of it, but i don't remember this kind thing happening before columbine (1999). certainly not this kind of frequency. it's becoming a multi-weekly event. WTF??

Reactions: Tig
it's getting to the point that school shooting seem to have become some sort of twisted trendy thing to do.
maybe i just never heard of it, but i don't remember this kind thing happening before columbine (1999). certainly not this kind of frequency. it's becoming a multi-weekly event. WTF??

There are approximately 10X as many guns in circulation* now as opposed to 1999.

*that we know of. We cant really be sure. The NRA lobbies the GOP to defund any research on the topic.

There are approximately 10X as many guns in circulation* now as opposed to 1999.

*that we know of. We cant really be sure. The NRA lobbies the GOP to defund any research on the topic.
yea....but the number of guns in circulation doesn't cause people to go into schools and shoot them up.
i'm not talking about proliferation of firearms, i'm talking about what appears to be a significant shift in people's thinking.

They happened previous to Columbine with some regularity. I suspect the nature and tone of media coverage shifted significantly post-Columbine to make this kind of crime more readily noticeable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Remember when workplace violence (going postal) was a thing? Now it’s not nearly as much of a thing. Though I suspect workplace violence is trending at similar levels (relative to overall violent crime stats).

If you wanted to look at media coverage and reception, you could probably hit the books/microfilm and start pulling articles and comparing the tone and approach of media coverage and looking for changes/similarities/etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
i'm not talking about proliferation of firearms, i'm talking about what appears to be a significant shift in people's thinking.

You may also want to consider how the motives are covered/explained. Did earlier school shootings get explained as domestic or workplace situations vs Columbine and post-Columbine shootings which focused on bullying or “the boy crisis” or gun control. Are these shootings really different than previous shootings or are we reading them differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back