New-ish kitchen jam

LOL.
If I don’t laugh….

So the countertop and backsplash… We were happy with that.
Until.

We noticed that the overhang of the countertop will interfere with the lower doors and drawers.
When they installed it all, they didn’t shim the cabinet tops to allow for the necessary clearance.

The drawers barely slip under. But the drawer fronts are not yet installed.
The cabinet door in the corner won’t clear at all.

So.
The backsplash has to come off because it’s installed on top of the countertop.
Then the countertop has to come off.
Shims need to be added to the cabinets and the countertop reinstalled.
Then the backsplash needs to go ba….oh wait. Now the backsplash is too tall. The top needs to be trimmed in order to fit under the cabinets.
Wait again. Now the outlets and switches don’t line up. So, they need to be moved up to match the holes in the backsplash.

I sure hope the backsplash or countertop material doesn’t break in all of this.

Yeah. In reality, we’re looking at just gutting the room and getting new cabinets and everything else.

Hey, at least it’s only been 2 months for a 10 day job.

As it sits.

All the stuff that was contracted is fine.

Counter and backsplash are good. Although the backsplash is just as thick as the counter, it’s really only an issue behind the fridge where that outlet is in the pic and it might not be that bad.

View attachment 96303

Lights and sink/faucet are great.

View attachment 96304

Anything paint is a gong show. Except for the window trim and sash.

Anything to do with managing the project seemed to be out of order.
That cove where the lighting is: was just sanded and primed today for the first time.

LOL.
If I don’t laugh….

So the countertop and backsplash… We were happy with that.
Until.

We noticed that the overhang of the countertop will interfere with the lower doors and drawers.
When they installed it all, they didn’t shim the cabinet tops to allow for the necessary clearance.

The drawers barely slip under. But the drawer fronts are not yet installed.
The cabinet door in the corner won’t clear at all.

So.
The backsplash has to come off because it’s installed on top of the countertop.
Then the countertop has to come off.
Shims need to be added to the cabinets and the countertop reinstalled.
Then the backsplash needs to go ba….oh wait. Now the backsplash is too tall. The top needs to be trimmed in order to fit under the cabinets.
Wait again. Now the outlets and switches don’t line up. So, they need to be moved up to match the holes in the backsplash.

I sure hope the backsplash or countertop material doesn’t break in all of this.

Yeah. In reality, we’re looking at just gutting the room and getting new cabinets and everything else.

Hey, at least it’s only been 2 months for a 10 day job.
Shims? More like at least 3/4" plywood.

I can't imagine removing the backsplash or, counter tops in one piece but, if you could, why wouldn't you trim the bottom instead of the top?

Is taking the fronts off the drawers and moving them down a bit and option?

Might be a pita but surely less hassle than plan A?

If it doesn't already have them, you can get door hinges that allow you to move them up and down for positioning too.

Starting to get a bit freaked about our fit. Joiner is a guy I grew up with. I bumped into a buddy on Thursday and we went for a pint. Got talking about Stu fitting the kitchen and my buddy goes: "he's an absolutely brilliant joiner Tuesday to Thursday but he still likes to party hard so Mondays and Fridays are a write off"!!!

Shims? More like at least 3/4" plywood.

I can't imagine removing the backsplash or, counter tops in one piece but, if you could, why wouldn't you trim the bottom instead of the top?
Well, risers is a better word. It would need to be at least 1/2” strips on every top edge of the cabinet.

Trimming the bottom of the backsplash would require it to be polished again. The top of it is rough and butts up to the bottom of the upper cabinets. So, it doesn’t need to be polished there.
Trimming the bottom would require less re-work overall, but it would look like shit and need to be loaded up with caulk to finish.

Is taking the fronts off the drawers and moving them down a bit and option?

Might be a pita but surely less hassle than plan A?

If it doesn't already have them, you can get door hinges that allow you to move them up and down for positioning too.

Starting to get a bit freaked about our fit. Joiner is a guy I grew up with. I bumped into a buddy on Thursday and we went for a pint. Got talking about Stu fitting the kitchen and my buddy goes: "he's an absolutely brilliant joiner Tuesday to Thursday but he still likes to party hard so Mondays and Fridays are a write off"!!!
That’s been looked at. The drawer fronts would need to be flush with the top edge drawer box and that would look goofy on its own.
That would also require all of the lower cabinet doors to shift down to maintain the spacing, and that would put the bottom edge of the doors below the bottom edge of the cabinet carcase.

There’s one cabinet door that goes all the way to the top - no drawer above it. That one just hits the overhang. No wiggle room unless we drop it down a bit. Then not only would that hang below the bottom edge of the cabinet, it would just about show the cabinet opening at the top.

Even if that worked out, some spot are so close that the drawer tops scrape along the bottom of the overhang.

That’s been looked at. The drawer fronts would need to be flush with the top edge drawer box and that would look goofy on its own.
That would also require all of the lower cabinet doors to shift down to maintain the spacing, and that would put the bottom edge of the doors below the bottom edge of the cabinet carcase.

There’s one cabinet door that goes all the way to the top - no drawer above it. That one just hits the overhang. No wiggle room unless we drop it down a bit. Then not only would that hang below the bottom edge of the cabinet, it would just about show the cabinet opening at the top.

Even if that worked out, some spot are so close that the drawer tops scrape along the bottom of the overhang.

Is burning the place down and starting over an option?

On a serious note, major mojo dude, this has been a nightmare from start to finish and of all rooms in the house, having the kitchen out of action is the biggest pita.

Is burning the place down and starting over an option?

On a serious note, major mojo dude, this has been a nightmare from start to finish and of all rooms in the house, having the kitchen out of action is the biggest pita.
Thanks for the mojo.

Legal pro is coming to visit tomorrow to consult on what we can do. Were done with the contractor.

We’re a solid example for a Mike Holmes episode but he doesn’t do shows in our area. We are about 30 kms outside of his zone.

Talked to a paralegal on Tuesday.
We have a very strong claim in small claims court.
Guidance is to get it all fixed the way it should be and then make a claim.

As part of that, we need to due diligence and get some more quotes.
Did that today. Just for comparison sake.

New contractor stopped in this evening and we wnt over some more ideas.
We’re moving away from the blue for the cabinets.

We might add a row of cabinets and counter under the window in the eat-in area and paint those blue. It will tie in to the island that we already have. It will be kind of a separate space visually without any physical separation, if that makes sense.
Might be looking at a new floor - just for a colour change.
Some different cabinets added in too.

I’m drinking now.

We’ve made final finish choices.
Cabinets chosen. New countertops. New backsplash. New floor. New light fixtures.

Everything ripped out.
We might be able to salvage the countertops and sell them. I don’t really care at this point.

Once the cabinet delivery is known, the demo will get scheduled. Electrical redone. Walls and ceilings patched. Floor will go in. Paint on the walls and ceiling. Etc.

IMG_3217.jpeg

That glass tile will be on just one wall. The other 2 will have the countertop material.
The countertop will waterfall to the floor on one side of the room. It will end on the fridge cabinet on the other side.

We’ll have an upper cabinet above that with panels that come all the way down to the countertop. We’ll be able to hide our coffee maker on that little bay.
The lower cabinet in that spot will be roll out garbage bins.
There will be big drawers for pots and pans. Maybe some pull out pantry or baking sheet drawers.

Back