LA movies vs NYC movies

?

• Total voters
Things set in NYC bother me because they shoot in one place, but say it's somewhere else. Or they cheap out and it's unrealistic. Or they say it's 1955 but the cars are from 1958. Or they're Woody Allen movies and fuck that guy.

I have a friend that used to do locations for a number of big films and when you try to shoot on public streets, it can be incredibly difficult to get permits for some specific locations.
If it wasn't a principal character's car, it was usually no different that putting a call out for extras.....they would spend all this time getting people lined up for a shoot w/ period correct cars, weeks of flyers on the parked cars asking them not to park on the street day of the shoot, city no-park signs, ect. They'd show up extra early to find all the owner of cars still parked on the street only to have a handful of cars still in the shot, people show up with the wrong cars, etc. The window to get the shot done is limited so improvisation happens and compromises get made.

If we are talking fun movies that people enjoy watching over and over, I will go we with L.A. based on this one film. My favorite road to ride a motorcycle ends a few hundred feet from this epic fight. They show this movie 5-10 times a week, every week for a reason. The masses tune in.

pre-fight-e1432680252597.jpg.cf.jpg

Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
The Big Lebowski
.5 of True Romance.
Iron Man 1 ,2 & 3
We Bought A Fucking Zoo
Pretty Woman
Grease
Tons of pre 1970 westerns

Ney York definately has the more Oscar worthy films.

I forgot Fast Times at Ridgemont High....I might have to change my original vote to LA ....

@Motorik mentioned The Warriors, which is the best NYC movie after Ghostbusters.

But Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was just an excellent LA film, and I really like the look of the light in the LA movies. There was a Stacy Parelta movie filmed out there that looked so great.

My life as documented by Michael J Fox and others

My high school

maxresdefault.jpg

5 miles from my current house in Pasadena

back-to-the-future-packard-custom-8-is-cooler-than-a-delorean.jpg

Down the street from me in South Pasadena

i083012.jpg

And 3 blocks from there (no longer doing MJ Fox)

SmallTown.jpg

Mike Meyers house from Halloween, several steps from the above Stepbrothers location

b129495b9a55da184ac9ee3ae1b9b700.jpg

And around the corner at the Rialto theatre (from The Player)

Rialto-Player-3.jpg

The same Rialto theatre in La La Land

Rialto2.jpg

Rialto1.jpg

About 1 mile from me in Pasadena proper

Father-of-the-Bride-House-843-South-El-Molino-Pasadena.jpg

The entrance to our local hiking trail (used as the cemetery entrance in Phantasm)

Cobb%20Estate%20Phantasm%20%282%20of%202%29.jpg

Huntington Library, 5 blocks away from me

parks-and-recreation-pawnee-commons_featured_photo_gallery.jpg
\
14_NUP_152391_0419.jpg

Screen-Shot-2014-10-05-at-10.03.14-PM.png

tilezoom

That the problem of living in cities that have movies set in them. London's landmarks are well enough known that they can't get away with mis-identifying them but it drives me nuts when they completely ignore reality. Like a car chase is outside St Paul's and they turn a corner and suddenly its Tower Bridge and then 20 yards further down the street they're in Trafalgar Square. :thwap:

I'm not sure James Bond taking 20 minutes getting from landmark A to B stuck ingin between red tourist busses and having to evade deliveroo couriers would be quite as exciting :embarrassed:

Kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned Midnight Cowboy.

Less surprised that nobody has mentioned a few incredible Spike Lee movies, especially Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, and 25th Hour.

Back