LA movies vs NYC movies

?

• Total voters
One of my favorite NYC movies is Rosemary's Baby. And Marathon Man. Taxi Driver of course. And Annie Hall.

Chinatown would be an obvious pick for an LA film, as well as The Big Fix. But my pick would be Mulholland Drive or The Player.
Maybe Devil in a Blue Dress. Or LA Confidential.

Things set in NYC bother me because they shoot in one place, but say it's somewhere else. Or they cheap out and it's unrealistic. Or they say it's 1955 but the cars are from 1958. Or they're Woody Allen movies and fuck that guy.

New York all the way. I'm actually obsessed with the genre I call 'shitty seventies NYC':

Panic in Needle Park
Dog Day Afternoon
Serpico
The Taking of Pelham 123
The Seven-Ups
Across 110th St
Taxi Driver
Saturday Night Fever
The Warriors
Cruising (
released in 1980, but filmed in '79)

etc.

In those films New York just looks so busted and broken, garbage and graffiti everywhere, the subway system seems like 'inevitable mugging land', and standing around an oildrum full of burning trash appears to be a popular pastime.

I also love the documentaries 80 Blocks from Tiffany's and NY77 the Coolest Year in Hell.

One of my favorite NYC movies is Rosemary's Baby. And Marathon Man. Taxi Driver of course. And Annie Hall.

Chinatown would be an obvious pick for an LA film, as well as The Big Fix. But my pick would be Mulholland Drive or The Player.
Maybe Devil in a Blue Dress. Or LA Confidential.

Have you seen The Limey?

One of my favorite LA films that hasn't been mentioned is Boogie Nights.

No Big Lebowski mention yet?
BrownAfraidAgouti-small.gif

A good NYC movie is The Wanderers.
Mainly because it was filmed partly in my neighborhood.
I was in a cut scene shot in my HS.

No Big Lebowski mention yet?
View attachment 56468
A good NYC movie is The Wanderers.
Mainly because it was filmed partly in my neighborhood.
I was in a cut scene shot in my HS.

I love The Wanderers!

Is it the hallway scene where Joey is showing Perry around the school and he's pointing out all the gangs?

I love The Wanderers!

Is it the hallway scene where Joey is showing Perry around the school and he's pointing out all the gangs?
Yep. Good old Columbus HS.
The grotto scene with Richie and his girlfriend was filmed at a church at the end of my street.
I had a crush on Karen Allen for a bit after that movie.

Last edited:
Yep. Good old Columbus HS.
The grotto scene with Richie and his girlfriend was filmed at a church at the end of my street.
I had a crush on Karen Allen for a bit after that movie.

That's really cool! Did you see Karen Allen when they were filming?

That the problem of living in cities that have movies set in them. London's landmarks are well enough known that they can't get away with mis-identifying them but it drives me nuts when they completely ignore reality. Like a car chase is outside St Paul's and they turn a corner and suddenly its Tower Bridge and then 20 yards further down the street they're in Trafalgar Square. :thwap:

Back