Grill Envy

I've got a 22" Weber, works fine. I used to buy the slightly cheaper ones, but they'd die after a couple years. The Weber is about 10 years old and going strong, so it might be the most clear example of false economy I know of.

I also bought one of the biggish Chargriller barrel smoker/grilles, because I like cooking a bunch of different stuff at once, and the Weber fills up fast. I bought three reliable thermometers, and mounted one on the Weber, and one on each end of the Chargriller, right at grille level.

Some people put in some work and effort, and make those Chargriller barrels into monster smokers. I just use the Weber for smoking, and the barrel for everything else, or just the Weber if I don't have guests.

Briquets are awful, they are formed with borax as a release agent, which is why you have to wait from them to turn grey before you can cook. Lump, you can just toss more on to feed the fire any time you need to. They can also be snuffed and relighted easier to minimize waste.

The chimney lighters are nice to have, but again, get the Weber. The cheap ones last a season, the Weber lasts years.

The Chargriller is on sale for $99 at Lowes, so load up.

Back