Grill Envy

Seems to me I replace grills every few years despite what kind of money I drop on them.

That's the beauty of Weber's, you can order replacement parts. I've overhauled my 18" er when the vents got stuck in place. Grill grates are readily available at most home centers. I like the one that flip up at either end for smoking.

The Weber is a tried and true good grill.
You can't go wrong buying one.

Yeah -- I've been using Webers for about 30 years, and in that time have gone through exactly two (the one I have now and a previous little smokey). They're essentially bomb-proof. I'm starting to feel a little better; there are some cool things out there, but when all is said and done, heat+smoke+outside=good!

IMG_1552.JPG
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG

Go imto thr woods and pick up fallen branches. Oak is the most popular here.

Just don't use pine.

Be careful what you pick up....there are species like sycamore that can get you sick or worse if used incorrectly. There's probably a list of what to avoid online somewhere. Avoid treated/lumber products too.

Personally I stick to the common fruit/nut species and oak, hickory, etc.

As I said chaps I have NO clue what's available here - they're all just trees as far as I'm concerned :)

Be careful what you pick up....there are species like sycamore that can get you sick or worse if used incorrectly. There's probably a list of what to avoid online somewhere. Avoid treated lumber products too

Personally I stick to the common fruit/nut species and oak, hickory, etc.
I stick to basically the same woods you listed too when I lived out East.
Red Oak,apple, were the main.

You have to know what grows in your area. I had friends in the Mis Atlantic region that would always bring up a pick em up truck load of hickory whenever they crossed the Manson-Nixon line.

I thought about getting one of the smaller Big Green Eggs, but I'm just a casual once in a while throw burgers/dogs/salmon on the grill kinda guy. A Big Green Egg in whatever size would probably be a waste of money for me.

That said, there are comparable products out there, and there is one I saw on amazon for $98 that I might end up buying. It has all the vents, thermometer, etc. seems to be made pretty well based on the reviews and pictures, and uses minimal charcoal briquettes to cook stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...7-b4d4-466b-8c26-2639359664eb&pf_rd_i=desktop

If anybody needs some smoking wood chunks or recommendations, PM me. You pay shipping. Not saying I'm the be-all-end all, but I have a large inventory of stuff I've tried.

I bought a weber 18 inch in April and have used it lots since then. A chimney starter really helps.

I had a cheap gas one I've still got that I used quite a lot last year but it's sitting dooing nothing just now. I'll probably keep it incase I need to do any big cooks.

Side question: I want to use some wood with the weber but even the big diy stores don't seem to have any in stock - is kindling ok to use or what am I looking for? I don't want something that's covered in all sorts of chemicals.

Depends entirely on the wood. You can buy bags of wood chips for smoking in most grocery or hardware stores around here. I guess it may not be as popular over there?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...=smoking+wood+chips,aps,192&crid=WW4DC5TMVGPW

As I said chaps I have NO clue what's available here - they're all just trees as far as I'm concerned :)
You can't just go and pick up branches, it's the Queen's wood, after all :embarrassed:

A friend of mine told me when she and her ex-husband were stationed in England (US Air Force), the house they rented had a fire place. One day she decided she wanted to use the fireplace and had noticed a lot of downed limbs in a wooded area on the side of the road she always travelled on to work. So she decided to stop and pick some up....a police officer stopped and told her she couldn't take it, it belonged to the Queen.

:shrug:

You can't just go and pick up branches, it's the Queen's wood, after all :embarrassed:

A friend of mine told me when she and her ex-husband were stationed in England (US Air Force), the house they rented had a fire place. One day she decided she wanted to use the fireplace and had noticed a lot of downed limbs in a wooded area on the side of the road she always travelled on to work. So she decided to stop and pick some up....a police officer stopped and told her she couldn't take it, it belonged to the Queen.

tumblr_lx25bvYn1M1qa7xeio2_250.gif

The queen gives a mean Barbie!

3609774-3x2-940x627.jpg

Get the bigger Weber charcoal grill.

This covers it. We've got the larger Weber...don't know the exact specs...I think it's the "standard" size and we use lump charcoal (not the composite briquets). It's great for our needs. As I posted in grilling related posts in the past, my dad goes crazy and cooks whole turkeys and chickens in them. He gets into the whole indirect heat cooking techniques, using a disposable loaf pan with water to stop various things from drying out. It's remained essentially unchanged, because it's a near perfect design...barring the carbon emissions...mmm, tasty carbon emissions...

I would have picked it up and shipped it to the old cow.

I've got a regular Weber propane grill. Ashlee is very supportive of us getting a smoker, so that might be the next big kitchen purchase. So many options though.

I've got a regular Weber propane grill. Ashlee is very supportive of us getting a smoker, so that might be the next big kitchen purchase. So many options though.
The Party Gator was on my smoker list years ago. They are way spendy now.
2x the price from when I first looked at them.

Back